The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 12:43 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Its really a shame

The best flyfishing forum, bar none... but its surrounded with nonsense spam adds. Some of which are borderline inappropriate and many have nothing to do with fishing.

I participate in a few other forums, both flyfishing and other subjects, but this is the only one with the irrelevant adds.
buddhist_palm likes this.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:46 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Its really a shame

Hmm, I don't see any ads at all. I think it is due to the Barracuda web filter here at work. That piece of garbage is good for something I guess!
mcnerney and stl_geoff like this.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:48 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

we really should address the malicious adds

ive recived a new message 10 times today and have been the 10,000 visitor a dozen times
ejsell likes this.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:02 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Not sure what you guys are talking about. Right now I see ads for Sears, a Fishwest, and an Allen. Then there is the banner at the top and then 3 more boxes that are "AdChoices" advertisements. Now that I look at, the Sears ad an AdChoice probably because I was recently searching for a drill and lathe. The AdChoice ads are not forum sponsors, they fill in with either things based on the cookies in your browser.

Try this, go to the upper right corner of the questionable ad, and click on the little blue triangle "AdChoices" and it will explain how it works. Then click on the "X" and the ad will go away.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:09 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

It definitely varies by page. On the home page at the top I can play "Catch the Cockroach". On the side I can buy some weird T-shirt modeled by some chick that says "Im not insane, Ive been tested" or something... If my cursor passes over an envelope on the right side I get a loud female voice saying "you've got mail!" Further down, I can find a great cancer doctor. Then theirs something called the Air Express Shopping Festival. Moving right along down the right side theres an add for the Miami childrens Hospital.
And of coarse I can click on Efix to test my PC and increase my browsing speed.
All very inconsistent with my browsing history and as I mentioned before, not a problem in any other forums. I will say that Facebook is getting pretty bad with adds, but not like this. Theres no way Im going to click on any part of any of those adds to try to close them. I know some people have suggested entering this site thru a certain avenue to avoid this, but that seems pretty clunky. Its too bad you have to use covert maneuvering to get around this place to avoid it. All the spam that surrounds the couple legit flyfishing adds make them feel spammy too.

I see three of our business members adds in a line with nonsense adds. That's just not right.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:15 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

im getting the same ones...

ive dealt with this issue on other forums as well

admin needs to contact the add service provider to rectify

kill the roach to win an i pad and the 1 millionth visitor really has nothing to do what I search (it is spam)
Old 03-11-2014, 02:36 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Sorry guys but it may be your computers. I get nothing like that, ever. All I see are straight up advertisements for actual things. These are "ads" are populated via Google's omnipotent eye. There is nothing that the administrators here can do.

There should be a little tiny blue triangle or arrow shape in a box in one of the corners of ad. If you click that it will take you to a Google forum help page that explains how these ads work. Or you can search "adsense help" or "google adsense" and find out there.

https://support.google.com/adsense/t.../1631343?hl=en

You can also clear the cache in your browser and delete all the cookies. If you use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox as a browser there are also lots of free "extensions" (software features) that you can add to help block certain types of tracking cookies, etc.

Last edited by dean_mt; 03-11-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: added link
Old 03-11-2014, 04:02 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Clear cache, clear cookies, clear history. Should help, won't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 03-11-2014, 04:15 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

Yes, my Mac has been immune, I only get the usual embedded ads. But all my Android devices seem to generate a popup for cleaning my Android device. It's clearly an issue with this site, I suspect some malicious code has found a back door.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:24 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on a Mac too and counted 12 adds on the main forum page. Literally 50/50 split between fly fishing/non fly fishing related ads. If you see an add that you feel is in appropriate send a PM to Larry and Ard. I'm sure that when they have a chance, they'll get it corrected. Personally, I'd rather see ads from forum sponsors and fly fishing related companies than the general nonsense like the AT&T Mobile adds, various investments, Square, etc.