The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 08:04 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb New 'Puter coming to 'replace' this old Dell XP ... now what with all the stuff on ..

this one over to the new?

First time I've ever had to do this so at a loss as how to get 'A to B' (XP to 8.1) with the programs/files. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Simple answer may well be just to hire a Computer Geek and have him/her do the job and be done with it ...

Fred
Old 03-21-2014, 08:08 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: New 'Puter coming to 'replace' this old Dell XP ... now what with all the stuff o

I just sent my new Dell with windows 8 back. It just crippled me.

Due to all my editing software not working in windows 8 I had to go back to 7.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New 'Puter coming to 'replace' this old Dell XP ... now what with all the stuff o

Fred...

Somewhere to start:

Transfer files and settings from another computer - Microsoft Windows Help

personally - I'd probably stay Windows 7, until the next release comes out.. and it's still available from most outfits.. it would be nice if they gave you a free windows 8.1.1 upgrade when it's ready.. or the mythical Windows 9

Microsoft seems to have real issues every other release

Vista.. 8.. lol
Old 03-21-2014, 08:16 AM
mridenour

Should I upgrade from Windows ME???
rockriver and ejsell like this.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:38 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Should I upgrade from Windows ME???
Lol.. are you the one person in the country that went to that?

I forgot about that one.. that was the first of the 'skip me windows versions'.. every other one since is bad
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:50 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Lol.. are you the one person in the country that went to that?

I forgot about that one.. that was the first of the 'skip me windows versions'.. every other one since is bad
First time I've had a reason to laugh in several days. God do I remember that 'program disaster' and ran like hell (some very good advise from folks who know). Thing was a total disaster from code line one to the last ...
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:05 AM
mridenour

I used to run a computer business. I made quite a bit of money getting the ME virus off of people's machines! LOL. I don't like fixing computers anymore. I have a friend at work that does all my work now. It is much more enjoyable!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Simple answer may well be just to hire a Computer Geek and have him/her do the job and be done with it ...
Yes. I recommend this plan.
fyshstykr, mcnerney and siege like this.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:40 AM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

I think your idea of havin them transfer your files for you would be the way to go. When I did my last one I spent days dragging files from on PC to the other. Did it all with a few thumb drives. In the end it worked well except for a few program's n files that didn't like windows 7.
I had thought about just bringing the second hard drive to my new PC but didn't want to lose anything. What a big step from ME to win7!

Sent from my iPhone
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:44 AM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
this one over to the new?

First time I've ever had to do this so at a loss as how to get 'A to B' (XP to 8.1) with the programs/files. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fred
I agree with a couple others in this thread. If you can load MS W-7 instead of 8, do so. You'll be much happier in the short term as well as the long term waiting for 8 to shake out all the quirks.

I don't buy off-the-shelf computers. Since the late '70s I've had each one (only three up 'til my fourth a month ago) built and during the course of their lives upgraded processors and added memory to each when needed. So far, that system has worked well for me.

Congrats on your new computer. It's always a pleasure to be driving a new system, sort of like a new car without the "aroma" of a new car.

Have fun.

Allen R.
mcnerney likes this.