The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree48Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 PM

mtstickbow78 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: More Bennett Spring Fun

Gotcha! Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2014, 08:49 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Hmm. Maybe we need to take a deep breath here?

I mean, that is Bennett Springs, which is a hatchery, unless they changed things since I lived in STL. I mean they stock the heck out of that stream. And they stock it with a ton of browns. When I fished that place (20 years ago, way before I was a fly fisherman), they'd stock that thing with 12-16 inchers, I think like once a week. And back then, I'd go for a day and a half and keep my limit (4 fish/day). Mainly because me and my brother loved eating trout.

Now if those were wild fish, I'd feel a little differently, but as I said, I used to fish that place at least three of four times a year, because that's what it was there for.

So before we throw too many stones, maybe we could take a second or two to understand the circumstances. Just saying.

I probably should also mention that unless things have changed drastically, pretty much everyone there is catching fish, putting them on stringers, and keeping their limits. And I never noticed that it hurt the quantity or quality of the fishing. However, it has been over twenty years, and it's possible that things are very different there now, in which case, ignore this post.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 04-18-2014, 08:58 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

No. Browns are hard to come by. Almost all the stockers are rainbows. Browns are mostly stocked in blue ribbon water and push up into the parks. There are a lot of anglers that keep them just because they can. If it weren't for catch and release the brown fishing would be pretty much decimated.

He was legal if he actually caught the fish legally. If you want to eat fish from the parks there are more than enough bows to fill your belly. Please release all the browns caught in Missouri. It is the right thing to do.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
stlskyline likes this.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:08 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Ah. See, I didn't know that. The last time I was there (1995?), I saw 12-15 inch browns all over the place in the section I was fishing. They kept chasing my rooster tail, but only one actually tried to eat it. I had no idea what it was back then (other than it was a trout), and wasn't sure it would be good to eat, so I let it go. He/she/it was about 15 inches I think.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 04-18-2014, 09:21 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I did a little more reading and the browns are actually only stocked once a year. They are far fewer in number than the bows but also usually are larger in size. You have to usually catch a lot of rainbows to get one nice brown.

I tried to give this guy the benefit of the doubt but he really seemed like one of the reasons that fishing inside the park sucks. He didn't seem to mind killing off one of the prize catches in the state.

But hey, his daddy probably taught him that was what it was all about and that's all he knows. I'm hoping he thinks twice next time around.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:33 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
I probably should also mention that unless things have changed drastically, pretty much everyone there is catching fish, putting them on stringers, and keeping their limits. And I never noticed that it hurt the quantity or quality of the fishing. However, it has been over twenty years, and it's possible that things are very different there now, in which case, ignore this post.
That's pretty much they way it is.

I look at it this way: it's his fish and he's authorized by law to keep it if he wishes. I would have thrown it back, myself, since Browns are put in only rarely at Bennett Spring.

I keep fish there myself when I'm vacationing. A fish or two each day for dinner. The rest get thrown back.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:45 PM

troutn will become famous soon enoughtroutn will become famous soon enough

I was not going to dignify the video, after initially viewing, with a comment. I think all points have adequately been made. My only other comment is it is interesting that Stonum has not replied to any of the comments. Perhaps, going forward, he will reconsider keeping one of my favorite two species-Leroy Brown.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:21 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

I do not miss the truck chasers.
jaybo41 likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-19-2014, 08:03 PM

troutn will become famous soon enoughtroutn will become famous soon enough

I prefer to fish outside of the trout parks. Ocassionally, I will fish within the parks, but prefe the solitude in our trophy areas in Missouri.
jgentile likes this.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:33 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Certainly, troutn.

The parks are their own experience--both the good and the bad have to do with all of those people.

What I like to do, if I need the solitude while there is to skip out and hit the Niangua.

Normally, I don't, though. Celibacy leaves me with plenty of solitude back in camp. A few people near me to yack with while fishing can be a plus.
Closed Thread