The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree48Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 01:05 PM

flyfisherz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: More Bennett Spring Fun

Keeping a brown trout is not an excessively popular practice for most forum members here, yet do remember that it is quite legal. In addition, I think its also important to remember that the brown trout salmo trutta is not native to the US. If you think of it as an introduced, albeit welcomed, invasive species, that may alter one's viewpoint.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:09 PM

perryk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjl View Post
Did you see this one, shoulder to shoulder. Opening day. Crazy
The fish have no chance
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TZPVioMZupI
UNREAL
Old 04-21-2014, 01:14 PM
mridenour

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfrid View Post
I’m kind of at a loss as to how to respond to this thread. I think disappointment is my main feeling. Not because they guy kept the fish (legally, in a put-and-take trout park), but because we’ve ripped him a new one because he doesn’t conform to our ideas about fishing ethics. How about these fishing ethics: “Catch and release fishing is cruelty disguised as sport.” That’s straight from PETA’s website. They think we’re a bunch of barbarians (I’m sure they have more colorful words than “barbarians”) because we don’t conform to their ideas about ethics. They unashamedly would like to ban sport fishing. I sure as heck don’t want them imposing their views on me, just like this guy doesn’t need us to impose our views on him. Encourage him to turn the big ones back, yes, but berating him?

You’re not going to establish a brown trout fishery in a put-and-take section of river. Not going to happen. And you are not going to get a guy to have a different way of looking at fishing (closer to our way, perhaps?) by calling him everything but a p.o.s. When I was young, I wanted to catch every fish in the river and was proud to show off a full stringer. I think many of us here have been through that stage.

Stonum, if you are baiting us, have a good laugh – we took the bait. If not, just like Hardyreels said: your fish probably got that big because somebody (or somebody-s) caught and released him so he could grow. Next time you get one of those, turn him back to the river to get even bigger. It feels pretty good. Nice fish, by the way.

Mark
I really don't know what you are reading. Maybe one person came kind of close to ripping him a new one but it was really pretty tame.

This isn't a kid that is going through a stage. This is an old guy teaching kids to stay in that stage.

Bringing up PETA's opinion is about the most irrelevant thing you could have mentioned. PETA isn't going to be happy until people are all dead and animals rule the world. Who cares what they think? They contribute NOTHING to fishing.

I don't think I was out of line with my opinions and most of the other people weren't either.

No one said that all fishing should be catch-and-release. It is a LOT more fun for everybody if the more rare fish aren't killed. Like I said before, it was a shame. Not a crime or immoral or anything like that. It is just sad because in this state there just aren't that many browns stocked and catching one is a real treat.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:17 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

+1. You're never going to change someone's mind without him changing his mind, on his own.
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:18 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Shouldn't we move this thread to the Push Button Spincast forum?

Clearly this was one of those "the urge to spray was too strong to resist" posts. The dude used his "I tried to fly fish, but it was too windy" intro to segue into his bragger board post... thus displaying his video of a fat brown trout caught on kiddie gear onto a Fly Fishing Forum.

Classy.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi guys,

Before we end up arguing amongst ourselves over this fellows post and the replies it has drawn how bout if I were to lock the thread and it'll go away? Sometimes tat's best with a thread that draws a lot of posts and has nothing to do with fly fishing anyway. As soon as I saw what this was I knew it was going to be tinder and I probably should have removed it before it became the Rock Star thread that it no is.

When you think about it we have hundreds of honest threads every week. People seeking help, asking questions , trying to learn more about this sport; hardly any of them can amass 45 replies in a short time like this totally meaningless post has done. I really mean that, "meaningless" because the poster is clearly not a fly fisherman and his post added nothing positive at all to this website or the discussion here.

If you ever see another thread started like this one just report it right away and we will weed them out quickly before there is much time wasted on them.

Ard
Closed Thread