The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 10:54 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on my new laptop

I'm so ancient my first computer was an abacus. milt
Old 04-19-2014, 06:01 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
You can pretty much stay in desktop mode on Windows 8, but it takes some work.

Google "windows 8 desktop mode". It you feel uncomfortable with some of the things that you'll be told to do, take the PC back to where you bought it and have them do it.

Or, you can have someone install Windows 7.
Good advice. I just purchased a new laptop and had Windows 7 Pro installed. The vendor advised me that Windows 8 or 8.1 is not as friendly as it was intended to be and you will probably see a Win 9 in the near future. They have received some negative feedback on Win 8. Win 7 is great IMHO. At the least, I would agree, take it back for a change of settings. Get out and go fishing.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:18 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
I'm so ancient my first computer was an abacus. milt
Not quite, but darned close! As was the 'adding machine.' You punched in the numbers on a key board and pulled down a hand crank. I kid you not!
Old 04-19-2014, 04:57 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Wow. My first "computer" was an IBM 402--and I had to wire it for every job! The I got to use the IBM 360/30. Still needed keypunches though. Man! I am old as dirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-19-2014, 07:32 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Before Calculators & Computers really came on the Scene we originally had to do all our Engineering Calcs using Tables & Maths then as Fred mentioned The Feed Info In Pull Handle Calculators came along & were they monsters compared to The First Calculators which in turn were also large compared to todays ones.

In The early days I used Computers mostly at The Technical Colleges as I really didn't have my own until about 2001 as they were too expensive.
I mostly used The ones where I worked the ones at The Libraries as well some my friends had so I've seen & used nearly all The Systems.
Like everyone else we just really get used to one system then a new one arrives on The Scene which we all have to upgrade to & have to sort it all out again.
I really Liked XP & Windows 7 which I still Run as I believe Windows 8 has some bugs I don't like.
Brian.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:16 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

This is turning out to be 'Walk down memory lane.' Anyone else remember 'slide rules' or as some called them 'slip sticks' to do your math? Those things 'defeated' me until someone came up with a circular one. Two wheels (inner and outer) and even a village idiot could work with that thing.

Back in the day, you're at sea and using a sextant (ya-ya I still have it) and you'd do your sun/star shots to plot your position. A damned good clock based on GMT was fundamental; still have that too! Zip-zip then to the "Bowdich Tables" and you knew where you were within a few hundred yards.

For Jollies I still pull out the sextant and do 'shots.' Amazingly enough ... my home hasn't moved.
fae
milt spawn likes this.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:30 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Fred I still have a Slide Rule around somewhere & if I had to ever use it I'd have to consult The Driver's Manual as I carry a Scientific Calculator everywhere however I don't always use it.
Brian
Old 04-20-2014, 06:55 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
No kidding, I can't stand those touch screens!......Everytime I touch the screen of my Commodore PET it gets smudges on it!

One day I'll upgrade to a 64.....but right now, that's just dreaming.

B.E.F.
Get yourself an Osborne 1. They are the best. The screen is so small your finger won't fit on it. Problem solved! Plus it has a handle so you can carry it around.