The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The Bennett Springs Thread;

You may notice the thread moved to the Lodge Den and is closed to further comments.

Here's why: my fault for not removing it as soon as I spotted it. Before any of us begin to bicker over retaining and eating trout or any other fish remember this. The person who started that thread may not have had the intention of stirring emotions regarding his choices in keeping his fish but I seriously doubt that.

I will venture a guess that 90% of the serious fly fishers here C&R fish. I don't think that threads with videos attached of people using spinning gear and telling me how good trout taste are an accident. I believe they are meant to dig into me a little.

I am not opposed to the harvest of fish in areas where there is a population capable of sustaining harvest. However this is a Fly Fishing Forum and posts should be about fly fishing not spin fishing at a trout park.

Dead fish;
Click the image to open in full size.

These are Copper River Sockeye caught by netting.

No I am not some Bambi type who shudders at the sight of a dead fish. I do however release all trout - steelhead trout - grayling and char that are caught. I retain around 30 salmon per year but have stopped killing kings altogether. Of the salmon I catch I release 90% of them. I fish for the other species for sport only.

All those fish were killed immediately when landed or netted, photos of live fish are carefully orchestrated to limit the stress on the fish to be released.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 04-24-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:10 PM

markfrid has a spectacular aura aboutmarkfrid has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Bennett Springs Thread;

If I offended anyone, I apologize. Really and truly. I think you guys are awesome.

Mark
Hardyreels, mcnerney and Auntie Em like this.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:32 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Right on Ard.

I for one have no problem with people keeping fish (within regulation of course). If I actually liked the taste of trout, I might keep a few myself (for me they rank somewhere behind channel catfish and miles behind panfish and walleye).

I am though guilty of responding with "snarky" comments to the Bennett Springs thing... mainly, again as in the past, spin/bait fishing posts on a fly fishing site. Like an elevator in an outhouse, "just doesn't belong there."

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

Last edited by stenacron; 04-24-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:47 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

good post, Ard.

Got to admit I'm jealous of anyone who gets to go to Bennett Springs. i love the place, crowds and all.

One underrated part of it: It's beauty. A pretty place. One could easily do a wedding proposal there.
Hardyreels and mridenour like this.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:14 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
This post should be pulled off of here. This is trolling at its finest.
Knowing the lady from 'other boards' her post up had me raising both eyebrows. She will 'speak her peace' but this was way beyond her 'norm.'

fred
Old 04-24-2014, 11:49 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I lived in Lake of the Ozarks for 15 years and have fished all of those parks, though bennett with a spinning rod. Note -- I now live on the East coast.

Sure -- MO has plenty of rednecks...but what do you expect?

So long as they're fishing with a license and following the rules, I don't give them a second thought.

I do not prefer that kind of fishing, so I don't go to places like that to fly fish.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:57 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Another thing:

I tried to give this thread a fair view, but after thinking about it more I'm nearly 100% sure this was posted with the intention of getting a rise out of fly fishermen who are very well-known for practicing C/R fishing.

I have many times (like Ard) caught and put trout on a stringer, and then gone home and enjoyed eating them. However, I have never taken pictures/video of myself slinging them around on a stringer and then posted it to a fly fishing board. That's just common sense.

I don't think the "I didn't know" explanation would apply here -- let's not be too naive.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:01 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Betty is one of the nicest people to found on any of the fly fishing forums
Ya'll should give her a little more respect
Old 04-24-2014, 12:33 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

ya know what? I quit.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:25 PM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

One thing everyone here should know if they haven't fished for trout in Missouri "The Show Me State" is that it is not all about the trout parks.

We have four parks and they serve the catch & keep community well. Bennett, Montauk and Roaring River are all State operated. The fourth, Maramec is privately run. Each park has a hatchery and stocks their waters with rainbow trout. All brown trout are raised at Sheppard of the Hills in Branson I believe.

I personally do not fish in the parks and will only do so to teach/introduce my grand kids to fishing one day. The parks are a great place to picnic enjoy the day and to extract a few mushy flesh rainbows to munch on unless you happen to have your Zebco rig ready to go and can pull out a nice brown like the guy in the video did. Okay, okay that was a self serving inappropriate thing to say, but I had to do it.

Back on track. If you want to chase wild trout in MO. There is ample opportunity. Rainbows were introduced back in the late 19th century by railroad barons into our spring waters so that they could enjoy a little of what they were missing from back home. The fish and the fisheries thrive. One does not need a white "wife beater" or a bucket but there is some fine trout fishing to be had. You just gotta know where to go.

PS. I ain't tellin you where unless you pm me