The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By siege
  • 2 Post By Flyfisher for men
  • 1 Post By tx_newb
  • 1 Post By Liphookedau

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 05:28 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Best Poker games ever?

Dealer called the game and 'chips' were toothpicks. Guys sitting around a table in a cabin (more usually a tent) with a bottle of 'Adult Beverage.' Laugh, 'Damn you beat me with a pair of duces!!??' (Ace high busted flush on my part.)

Playing table could be picnic bench or the end of a sleeping bag. Tent heat was 'body generated' or a Colman lantern. Campfires were a 'good thing.' Some times it was raining so hard the river was 'blown' and it was a tent ... so how do you kill time?

fae
siege likes this.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:36 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best Poker games ever?

I hear 'ya Fred ! Long night in an old camp trailer, freezing rain, wind so bad the boat was building up a coating of ice outside.
It's amazing how warm and comforting those old gas lanterns were. And you could make toast on top of one 'cause they got so hot.
For us, it was Gin rummy, with the score kept on a scrap of cardboard. A big pot of Cuban coffee simmering on the one burner stove. Crackers, cheese, and canned sardines were being passed around, while the wind howled outside. Good times, good company, good old days......
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:25 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

This is going to be critical in a couple of weeks: the men of the family are going camping/fishing for a week.

How to pass the times: poker games and cribbage. (a card game---seems to be a northern game).

Campfire.

Coffee pot. Absolutely critical. In our camp, all hell breaks loose if you take the last cup and don't make another pot. A pot is on the camp stove all the time.
fredaevans and siege like this.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Flyfisher for men;662427]This is going to be critical in a couple of weeks: the men of the family are going camping/fishing for a week.

How to pass the times: poker games and cribbage. (a card game---seems to be a northern game).

.................................................. ...............

Fun idea to try, to help pass the time ? Have all the guys each carve a wooden fork and spoon, from wood found in camp area, and have that be what they will have to eat dinner with on the second night. It's amazing how good and how bad the finished products can be. Outdoor Skills 101...Always good for a laugh

I like cribbage, learned to play when I moved to Montana. I have a cribbage " board" made from a chunk of an elk antler. The pegs are whittled from a dead standing aspen. Beautiful dark wood, my favorite hiking staff came from the same sapling.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:35 PM

tx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of light

Tough to beat a card game with a campfire nearby...or pretty much anything with a campfire nearby for that matter

We've planned more than one camping trip based on where we'll be able to have fire, I just don't see how you can camp without one!
siege likes this.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:24 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

You Can't beat "Sittin Round" a Camp Fire with a nice Cold Beer in One Hand sometimes we played Poker or Euchre(an Aussie Game).
Even though I did heaps of Camping years ago some times in Tents Other just under a Tarp now days we usually stay in Houses or Shearing Sheds on Farms or rough it in Hotel or Motel.
When a Mate's of Mine's Son's go Hunting Pigs with his mates They Mostly Stay In Shearing Sheds on Properties & Have Electric Blankets in Their Swags.
Brian.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:01 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Fun idea to try, to help pass the time ? Have all the guys each carve a wooden fork and spoon, from wood found in camp area, and have that be what they will have to eat dinner with on the second night. It's amazing how good and how bad the finished products can be. Outdoor Skills 101...Always good for a laugh

I like cribbage, learned to play when I moved to Montana. I have a cribbage " board" made from a chunk of an elk antler. The pegs are whittled from a dead standing aspen. Beautiful dark wood, my favorite hiking staff came from the same sapling.

i'd starve on the first point!

Cool cribbage board!
Old 09-25-2014, 09:48 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by parleorsen View Post
Well actually, it's K9suited. Only because I won my first major tournament with it. Just before thinking playing for a living.

Sit & Go's

Had to laugh when I read the above. My day starts as early as 0100 and not a hell of a lot on TV (NO I'M NOT INTERESTED IN BUYING YOUR ****!! advertising on most of the 250 channels.) BUT there is one show that I find totally facinating: "Poker After Dark." Tournament starts with as many as 1,000 players at tables and works it way down to one. Amazing to see who will end up there; the best of the best and a very lucky 'Amateur.'

No idea what the initial buy in may be, but most go through that in a pretty fast clip. Finial table chip holders could have well over One Million in chips! A the strategy of 'when to hold them, when to fold them' is cool to listen to the ongoing commentary.

Not unusual for a pot winner to pull in two or three hundred thousand in chips. Gets damned interesting when two or more actually get two good hold cards and then the 'flop' makes it all the better.

Had one of those last week and the final pot was close to one million dollars. The winning hand was a Ace high flush ....