The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 02:19 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The 'Good Neighbor' and the lawn mower.

You Are Right Fred us Old Guys do know a Little ,we would be real dills after coming this far in life.
Also I've half A shed Full of Mowers which except for a couple are Good Goers if one breaks down if I've time I'll repair it or leave it & use one of The others until I get Time to Fix it.
When I finish mowing & know I'll be doing it again in a week or two I usually make sure I Run The Carby out of Fuel & I only drain The Tank when I'm storing them for winter.
Brian
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 05-07-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:19 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Health pretty much (Parkinson's) keeps me landed and went out to get the Wally World bags and find a note taped to my front door. Seriously you can't make up this shxt. A tad after five AM my time at the moment.

"My lawn mower won't start, if you have time can you come take a look at it?"

I think I'll chug a shot or two of cheap Vodka, this may turn out to be a long spring.

fae
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:23 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Health pretty much (Parkinson's) keeps me landed and went out to get the Wally World bags and find a note taped to my front door.

"My lawn mower won't start, if you have time can you come take a look at it?"

I think I'll chug a shot or two of cheap Vodka, this may turn out to be a long spring.

fae
I have a friend who is fond of saying " No good deed ever goes unpunished "

Your young neighbor is living proof. At least he doesn't expect you to mow for him too. That would result in a vocabulary lesson to go along with the mechanics lesson you gave him !
bigjim5589 and mcnerney like this.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:24 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I am 40, grew up on a ranch in Fred's neck of the woods (Jacksonville). I can do the things talked about here, but work just really puts the kibosh on any extra time. I refuse to pay someone to take care of my stuff. I do run the gas tanks to E on my mower, snowblower and leaf vac when the season is over.

I do have a neighbor who is retired along with his wife, sort of a crusty old fart he is until you get to know him. We invite him over ever spring for a cup of coffee. You see he has a green thumb and his wife is a formally educated botanist. We ask for input on tree trimming, plants / flowers etc etc.

We have came home to find them trimming our trees and playing with our dogs before. Totally cool by me, and will get them a home depot card or dinner card somewhere when they do that.

After living in Vegas for 7 years where it seemed like everyone was an ass, it is nice to have had super friendly neighbors for 8 years.

Oh my other neighbor, the homicide detective , who goes about 6'3" 240 and in dang good shape....lets just say I don't mind having him around either. He is a good dude and I feel real comfortable when I travel knowing the wife is home alone with the 80lb lab and the cop next door.
PS his wife is a cop too....tons of Sig Sauer's next door

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-26-2014, 05:27 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

So hear that last post.

Long time back, and the guy was that big, his wife not that much smaller. Impressive cupple to put it mildly. Out of 'uniform' and two of the nicest people you could ever meet; in uniform and you didn't even go up to say 'Good Morning.'

A mental switch went 'click' when they put on their uniforms.

fae
Old 04-27-2014, 03:20 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Back in the 70's, I lived in military housing on base. Every year they allowed people to put out any thing for scrap. I routinely drove around with my truck picking up a few snowblowers and as many lawnmowers as I could fit. Usually a hour or two each had them running fine. Some I gave away, some I sold, and always kept a couple for me. Unreal with the it's a year or 2 old and junk.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:36 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

A couple of years ago, I had what I thought was a catastrophic stoppage on my Craftsman 7 horse mower when a piece of bark wedged between the end of the blade and the deck. Full RPMs to zero right now. Wouldn't start, and I was sure I'd broke it. Bought a similar replacement, parked the old one in the garage. Next season, new one won't start either. Decided to try to trade the busted mower for parts and took 'em both in for service. Both needed carbs/fuel system cleaned and rebuilt. The culprit? Corn juice in the gasoline. They recommend Star Tron Enzyme Fuel treatment. It eats the corn juice out of the gas. Now I park 'em with (treated)gas and oil in them over winter. In the spring, change oil, add treated gas, change or clean the air filter, clean and gap the plug-although, the plugs never need cleaning since I use the treated gas- and sharpen and balance the blade. No problems since I started to use this stuff except where to park the extra mower, since both run just fine now.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 05-02-2014, 08:02 PM

lv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to all

Every winter I take the battery out of the lawn tractor and put it in the garage. Starts up ever spring no prob. Great story Fred.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2nymph View Post
Every winter I take the battery out of the lawn tractor and put it in the garage. Starts up ever spring no prob. Great story Fred.
Thank you kind Sir. Second 'repair' was so simple I'm still shaking my head. For what ever reason the fellow had pulled his spark plug to clean same (yes you HAVE TO DO THAT!) and when he put it back in he didn't push the rubber cap (that covers the plug) fully back into place. Out comes the plug, clean it off, back in, a firm push on the cap and ZARRRROOOM.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:29 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Nothing to do with any of the above replies, but told "the wife" today that I'd cut the grass after school. Well, garsh darnit the dang thing had no "gas" so I had to go fishing instead.

Ryan