The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 03:58 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default The 'Good Neighbor' and the lawn mower.

Nice young family moved in across the street early last winter and this is his first go (Spring) at mowing his lawn (homes come with landscaping out front) and mow he does ... until today.

New mower and damned thing won't start (even with the electric gizmo). Fist pointed in the air and the 'frustration' could be felt all the way across the street.

Get my butt off the chair and take a walk and 'What seems to be the problem?' As we'd never formally met this was/could have been a bit 'awkward' but it wasn't. Tell him I know exactly what's wrong and 'Let's go over to my garage for a couple of tools.' For context here when I got my last University degree in Vineyard Management 'small engine repair' was a required course ... TOTAL HOOT!

Anyway, ask him if the plug was 'giving spark?'

'Yes.'

'That makes it easy as you have a fuel feed problem.'

Couple of tools to pull/clean the plug (coated with fuel and crud) and had him clean those up and stick a small screw driver, with paper towel, into the cylinder hole to wipe up the extra (lost) gas, etc. Several times in with the paper towel and still 'junk.'

'Get as much out of there as you can.'

Job done and plug cleaned and back in the engine. Not yet you have to check 'the gap. 'Don't know what gap this engine requires but it will be between .020 and .025. (Think I've got that 'write.') Had to have him do the 'plug' bit twice as most really don't know what the hell they're really looking at. He actually had a 'gap gauge' on an old key ring so didn't have to go find mine.

'Now this is where you get an 'A' in the class. First pull and a 'A' (seriously, this was our final exam), second pull and you get a 'B' .. you see where this is going.

First pull and off and running.

Neighbor got a "A" in the class; fellows mowing his lawn as I type.

So why all this? At times 'old people' know things.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:05 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The 'Good Neighbor' and the lawn mower.

My friend Brad was the hardware dept manager at a Sears store in the late 70's and I watched him go through this every single spring Saturday over and over and over again.
Pour out the old gas, replace the spark plug, clean the foam air filter, put in fresh gas. Bang, it starts. Charge them a buck for the gas and plug, unless the mower was still under warranty, then it was free.
Didn't even have to be a Sears mower.
Next time they needed to buy yard or hardware stuff guess where they came . . .
Old 04-25-2014, 06:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Fred: What's this talk about mowing, it snowed here this morning, pretty hard to, but it melted by noon, but they are saying we are in for more tonight. It might be a bit before I get around to mowing. I'll probably thatch the yard first.

Larry
mridenour likes this.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you Larry and not me. The 'Weather Reporting' lady missed it by a mile in my corner of the World. Winds now blowing like a SOB with rain like I haven't seen it in years. Hit a 'window' (as did the neighbor mowing his lawn) and did a Wally-World run and short of the TV dinners into the freezer I didn't even try to get the rest of the bags out of the back of the Jeep.

What the heck, canned soup sort of stuff so no big deal. Turned the furnace on, up to 75, and the 'cold is finally coming 'out of my old bones.' Under the down comforter cuddling an old dog and a nap is a good thing.

Scheduled 'Mini-Spey 'Clave here tomorrow morning and if this keeps up it will be 'interesting.' We Southern Oregies are a bunch of Woozies.

Fred
Old 04-25-2014, 07:26 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm really anal about storing lawn equipment for winter, drain gas, remove spark plugs and filter in both whacker and mower wipe them down. That way I can keep my same equipment for 20 years instead of buying a new one every 5.

Of course we bought a house with a slightly bigger lawn (half acre) so I MAY need a riding mower finally

Ryan
fyshstykr, jaybo41 and mridenour like this.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repperson29 View Post
I'm really anal about storing lawn equipment for winter, drain gas, remove spark plugs and filter in both whacker and mower wipe them down. That way I can keep my same equipment for 20 years instead of buying a new one every 5.

Of course we bought a house with a slightly bigger lawn (half acre) so I MAY need a riding mower finally

Ryan
Dead on, amazing how long this equipment will last if you do the 'basics' to keep it that way. With the Vineyard the 'mower' was run off the PTO and wife type loved driving that thing up and down the rows. Many of them were 800 yards long and took two passes.

Mental coffee break?
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:34 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Dead on, amazing how long this equipment will last if you do the 'basics' to keep it that way. With the Vineyard the 'mower' was run off the PTO and wife type loved driving that thing up and down the rows. Many of them were 800 yards long and took two passes.

Mental coffee break?

I've done a lot of that type of driving, dump trucks, snow plows, 18 wheelers, and of course ride along mowers when I was a landscaper, it's a definitive mental coffee break with all of those.

And I love it.

Ryan
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:48 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Smile Re: The 'Good Neighbor' and the lawn mower.

I never, ever, empty the gas tanks on small engines. When I put away a gas powered tool for the season, I fill the tank, and add a product called Sta-Bil. The fuel stays stable, and the tank won't rust or corrode. The fuel lines, carbs and tank benefit from remaining wet.
Unexpected snow ? Got fuel in the snowblower. Power outage ? Generator is always ready to go. Lawnmower starts first pull.
Never have to worry about disposing of old fuel, never have to waste it. This stuff is good for over a year in the tank, and I've used it for about 20 years. Your mileage may vary.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Sta-Bil is the shiznit!
pm287 likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-26-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Sta-Bil is the shiznit!
Have to agree here with Fy .... that stuff is 'death' (long time sitting in a machine) with the 'plastic parts' you find on small engine carbs. That little plastic bulb, 'Push here 10 times' .. what ever the heck, it was would go stiff as a board.

And now you can't get replacement parts.

ARRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

Across from repair shop fellow and he learned 'NEW WORDS.' Had to apologize when I calmed down, not his problem. "Frustration" is not a 'four letter word," but it should be.

fae