The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 07:19 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anybody else here garden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
We've got a couple of woodchucks, I think I can fence them out. It can't be as hard as keeping the elk and deer out when we lived in Colorado.
Deer jump....Woodchucks tunnel. Good luck with the fence.

B.E.F.
fredaevans likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:27 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

We've got strawberries in 2 huge, 8' planters on the deck. Last year the raccoons raided them before we got any.

This year the planters look like Auschwitz; electric wires all around and connected to a charger. Every couple of nights we hear a squeal and look out to see a raccoon scampering away (pee all over the deck).
fredaevans and siege like this.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:02 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
If any of you garden what do you grow?
A couple dozen varieties of tomatoes, mostly heirlooms.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:10 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I have to address the intruders soon myself. For 10+ years I never had a problem. Last year some rabbits nested under my deck and I had rabbits galore. Hated to do it but shot most of them as the garden damage was very extensive Lost most all my peas and beans and other stuff. As the season progressed, I noticed the damage was now 3+ feet off the ground. Yeah it was deer damage. Poor bunnies were falsely accused and summarily executed. I guess that's why everyone is entitled to a fair trial in this country.

New batch of deck bunnies this year. Guess I'll plant them some extra lettuce outside the fence.
Liphookedau and moucheur2003 like this.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:49 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

When we were growing up everyone had Gardens in The Backyard however there are still many who have good Gardens.
As The Saying goes " You can beat anything that's Fresh & straight out of The Garden" however there's always something or sometimes Someone after a Free Feed as it's not uncommon for people to Raid other peoples Gardens.
Brian
Old 05-07-2014, 06:55 AM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
Deer jump....Woodchucks tunnel. Good luck with the fence.

B.E.F.
HA! I used to live in the migration path of the Mount Evans Elk herd in Colorado. 200 or more elk wandering around and through, browsing on anything and everything. In addition, the mule deer raised their young in my meadow as well. I'd rather have wildlife around than not. I'm sure I can outwit a woodchuck.. after all, I can outwit a cold-blooded, pea-brained fish, can't I .....? Sometimes...
Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 AM
mridenour

I live in farm country. We have one of the densest populations of deer around that I have ever witnessed. I once put a brand new sack of feed for the horses (I have since wised up and gotten out of the horse business) in a nice plastic trash can. I went out to check on the horses one morning and the can was tipped over and all that feed was gone. The ground was riddled with deer tracks. There must have been 30 or 40 of them out there eating that molasses covered grain. I've never seen anything like it.

We have raccoons all over the place. I have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever that keeps them away from the house. She often has scars from a tussle with a big ****. She also goes after the coyotes and other critters when they get too close. Not too good at chasing away people but great at keeping the yard free from destructive wildlife. She even catches moles!

Sadly, she is getting old and I don't think she will be around much longer.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:01 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
I'm sure I can outwit a woodchuck.. after all, I can outwit a cold-blooded, pea-brained fish, can't I .....? Sometimes...
Hehe...good luck with that, they are surprisingly tenacious. In any case, think down not up. A 1' tall fence will stop a woodchuck from walking in (though I have seen them climb trees believe it or not), yet they'll just burrow under it. Consider running a 2-high row of loose bricks around the outside of the fence. They dig, the bricks fall, and it might stop them that day (so you'll have to repair it each time).

ANother option with wildlife is sometimes to consider them like the Mob.....Pay them their protection money. IOW, put out feed they'll eat in an easy access place. Now just like with the mob there are no guarantees, but, it sometimes works.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:05 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I go to the local farmers market sometimes...does that count?
Old 05-07-2014, 10:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
Hehe...good luck with that, they are surprisingly tenacious. In any case, think down not up. A 1' tall fence will stop a woodchuck from walking in (though I have seen them climb trees believe it or not), yet they'll just burrow under it. Consider running a 2-high row of loose bricks around the outside of the fence. They dig, the bricks fall, and it might stop them that day (so you'll have to repair it each time).

HeHe.... Good luck with THAT !
Woodchucks can climb fences no problem, and a 1' tall fence wouldn't keep them out for a minute.

You need a fence of at least 3 feet, taller is better, and leave it wobbly (or make it "deer tall"). Then take some old fencing, attach it at the bottom and bury it in an "L" shape so that when they dig, they hit fence first.

I don't even try to grow cabbage anymore. I think that it's their favorite food.