The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 07:00 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default Anybody else here garden?

At times not sure why I put myself through the work but it's a labor of love for sure. The fam loves the quality veggies so I guess that makes it worth it. Got the broccoli, cauliflower, onions, lettuce, snow peas and a few other things in this week. First chance to put a tomato plant in around here too. All I am harvesting so far is asparagus. Green beans and peppers going in soon.

If any of you garden what do you grow?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody else here garden?

I do a little, tomatoes, strawberries, rhubarb, raspberries and a few peppers. I have been wanting to plant a larger area where I can do some veggies.
mridenour likes this.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:30 AM
mridenour

I currently don't. I was raised in a household that was practically self-sufficient when it came to garden vegetables. We grew potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers, sweet corn, peas, peanuts, strawberries, grapes, apples, peaches, melons and a few other things I am sure I will remember later. We would harvest what we needed to put up for the year and then let a couple of other families come and take what they could use. My grandparents lived with us and worked out there every single day. In the summer break from school, by 9am when 'The Price is Right' came on we would be in the house from picking and sitting in the air-conditioning breaking beans or hulling peas watching Bob Barker.

Trips to the grocery store were mostly milk and eggs since we didn't tackle having chickens. We rarely got to have chicken though because me and my grandpa raised rabbits and that was our most common table fare as far as meat goes.

The basement shelves were lined with jars of canned foods that mom and grandma had put through the old pressure cooker that looked like it had been stripped off of an old submarine or something.

It was a really cool thing to experience growing up and I often regret that I had not kept that tradition going. I still like to grow a few things but can't see me ever doing anything on that scale.

You brought back some great memories this morning. Thanks.
fredaevans and ia_trouter like this.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:08 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I grow a container garden on the deck, just outside from the kitchen. It's usually tomatoes, Serrano and jalapeño peppers, and some fresh herbs.
When I lived in Montana, I gardened about 2 acres, and had 200 chickens and raised 10 calves each year.
Along with a full time job, it kept us pretty busy.....now my garden is in a row of 5 gallon plastic buckets, and the eggs come from the grocery
Old 05-06-2014, 11:14 AM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

This year I'll be growing JUST varied hot peppers.....Some better used for paint remover

B.E.F.
mridenour and ia_trouter like this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:26 AM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

So far we've planted potatoes, pumpkins, squash, zucchini, beets, peas, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic, chives, watermelons, cantaloupes. Probably some other stuff I've missed.. Peppers are still not quite big enough to put out. Lost some stuff already to a hail storm the other day, so had to start some over. Putting in two new apple trees this afternoon. We also have blueberries and thornless blackberries. So, yes, we garden a bit.
fredaevans, mridenour and siege like this.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:16 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've got lettuce, radishes, carrots, peas, beets, onions, broccolli raab, bok choy, cucumbers, pole beans, spinach and Swiss chard in so far... maybe one or two others. I put up a lot of Swiss chard. It's a staple food in this house.
Getting the garden in at the same time that fishing season picks up is a pain-in-the-ass, but more and more I don't like what I see in the supermarket.

The wife saw "the woodchuck" yesterday. I hate that guy.
I just pissed in his burrow.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:44 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

We've got a couple of woodchucks, I think I can fence them out. It can't be as hard as keeping the elk and deer out when we lived in Colorado.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
We've got a couple of woodchucks, I think I can fence them out. It can't be as hard as keeping the elk and deer out when we lived in Colorado.
So hear you and your 'Bambi Complaint.' Lived in Ashland Oregon for several years and we had what was refered to as 'The Burm' behind our row of homes. The HOA actually had a good garden area but it was as far away from us/immediate neighbors as it could be and still be in the Subdivision.

Soooo, what to do with this over grown chunk of land (this is where the builders dumped all their extra excavation dirt) sitting out side our back door? Another neighbor (this lady was on Steroid's without ever taking a pill) and we attacked the thing with weed-whacker's and cleaned off the bloody thing. For context, the land was actually owned by the railroad but a fence on the proper side, the Ashland-Medford walk way (close to 20 miles long), another fence then the tracks. They couldn't have cared a whit as they didn't have to lift a finger to clean it off (fire protection with is a very strongly enforced ordinance in our area).

I had 4 4x12 raised boxes AND even planted a mini-vinyard! One neighbor (still think she was nuts) spent close to ten grand to have professionals come in and landscape her bit. The one thing (forward thinking?) that has always had me scratching my head is the Developer actually ran a water line out to the thing when he developed the Plat. Another fellow and I solved that problem by doing a 'collection' and rented a ditch digger (or what ever you call those things that dig a 4-6 inch wide trench), installed Schedule 40 with frost free risers/taps between alternate boxes. Viola! Water with a short hose.

Main problem in cleaning out this (roughly) 600 foot of dirt was the well established Blackberry vines. Those buggers take a hell of a lot of killing over three years to initially whack them down to grown level and keep them that way. "Crossbow" finally cleaned up the last of that mess. For you not familier with "Crossbow" its a 'vine killer' and that stuff really is effective on smaller vines (not the size we had to deal with).

Anyway, the local newspaper has a Garden Section that passes out awards for best gardens/landscaping ..... we won!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:07 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I love to garden but working 3 weeks on and 2 weeks off just isn't a good match for keeping a garden weeded and watered. Sure do miss those new potatoes and maters...

Dave