The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 02:16 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any bird enthusiasts?

It's always good to see Birds in any ones Back yards only for The Neighbours Cats.
Another type I don't mind are The Ones who Frequent Waikiki & Bondi Beaches.
Brian.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:05 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Yes, Tree Swallow.

You've got more birds coming your way. We've still got R-B Grosbeaks and Indigo Buntings on our feeders here in Mississippi. The male grosbeaks have mostly moved on, but we had several females on the feeder yesterday. We also had a male Summer Tanager in the bird bath yesterday, and it was eating suet while hovering (guess it hasn't figured out how to perch and eat yet!).

Thanks for the pics.
stenacron likes this.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Business Member

Flygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to all

Yep. Tree swallow. Thanks for the correction

Great shot of the nesting ospreys!
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 05-09-2014, 07:13 AM

repperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the rough

I've always loved birds, I can't identify them past sparrow, oriole, cardinal, blue jay and humming birds but they fascinate me. My wife often makes fun of the fact I'll set on our back porch and watch the birds fly around.

When we move into our house in June I'm going to set up some bird feeders, really don't know which kind, I know I want hummingbirds as they remind me of my grandmas house but other than that who knows?

Ryan
Old 05-09-2014, 07:41 AM
Business Member

Flygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
I love birds....but I hate sparlings ...they ate all my cherries
I read somewhere that the European Starling is the single most abundant bird in North America now. They can sometimes be seen in massive flying flocks that seem to move as a giant, weird organism. this behavior is call a murmuration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctMty7av0jc

I tried to photograph this behavior once and drove my car under the flock. Lets just say my wipers couldn't keep up and I needed a car wash immediately!
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 05-09-2014, 08:36 AM

smilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura about

About 15 yrs ago I started duck hunting with my childhood friends. Now every year I can't wait till opening day "Xmas in October". It's not an easy sport but I it's the only thing I've ever done where you sit in the same spot from sunrise to sunset. You can learn a lot by just watching the world wake up. Now I can identify most ducks in flight. You wouldn't believe it but California has some of the best duck hunting in the US.

My favorite ducks to watch in flight are Pintails they are the most graceful birds in flight. They fly in beautiful close patterns and are very wary of anything amiss.
stenacron and repperson29 like this.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:47 AM

repperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingduck View Post
About 15 yrs ago I started duck hunting with my childhood friends. Now every year I can't wait till opening day "Xmas in October". It's not an easy sport but I it's the only thing I've ever done where you sit in the same spot from sunrise to sunset. You can learn a lot by just watching the world wake up. Now I can identify most ducks in flight. You wouldn't believe it but California has some of the best duck hunting in the US.

My favorite ducks to watch in flight are Pintails they are the most graceful birds in flight. They fly in beautiful close patterns and are very wary of anything amiss.

Yup, goose and duck is some of the finest hunting you can do in my opinion, my buddy has a trench set up on the edge of his cornfield, we haul down a portable stove and coffee maker and make egg and bacon sandwiches and drink coffee waiting for the birds to come of course there's other times were laying on frozen corn stubble freezing our butts off. Both are good!

Ryan
smilingduck likes this.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:10 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Nice thread flygrain.

I used to keep track, believe it or not when I was in my twenties. I lived out of a car and camped for a winter in the SW. I got to see lots of birds and really got into raptors. I got pretty good at IDing flying birds. Then I made it l to Central America and see so many life list birds.

But it really started when I was in high school and would sit at the kitchen table and watch all the birds at my mom's numerous feeders. That was in Michigan and we had 4 or 5 different sparrows to try to ID. Cardinals, orieoles, grosbeaks...I miss those birds.

Where I am now I get to listen to meadowlarks all day and I like that. We put up a bluebird box and have a nesting pair of Western bluebirds. Just this week I saw the first hummingbirds, almost got hit by one today! Time to hang the sugar water.

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

That chestnut sided warbler is amazing! I don't think I've ever even run across that while paging through Peterson's, which I used to do a lot of.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:39 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Indigo Buntings are still on our feeders. Usually by now they've either migrated farther north or moved into the meadows for nesting.

Click the image to open in full size.
Our feeder this week.
repperson29 and smilingduck like this.