The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold
Default Any bird enthusiasts?

With the lingering winter, the bird migration has been a bit late this year. This is the time of year I really start paying attention to whats flitting around out there. Tuesday night we had a really nasty storm blow thru with lightning cracking right overhead for a couple hours. Well it appears the migration rode the storm in. That very morning (yesterday) I had no less than 50 new bird species swarming my trees. All manner of warblers, oven birds grosebeaks, sparrows, swallows. etc...

The thing that especially caught my eye is the Orioles. There is a solid flock of them working my suet blocks. I have never seen Orioles take suet. Usually I put out nectar or jam for them. Another mentionable is a beautiful indigo bunting that has been a permanent fixture on one of my seed feeders this morning! Very cool! Now I need to get out there with my camera.
dean_mt, stenacron and mridenour like this.
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 05-08-2014, 08:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any bird enthusiasts?

I've recently become "friends" with a raven after I started leaving her dead rodents in the driveway
She comes by daily when I'm out working in the garden and clucks at me.
mridenour and Flygrain like this.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:17 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygrain View Post

With the lingering winter, the bird migration has been a bit late this year. This is the time of year I really start paying attention to whats flitting around out there. Tuesday night we had a really nasty storm blow thru with lightning cracking right overhead for a couple hours. Well it appears the migration rode the storm in. That very morning (yesterday) I had no less than 50 new bird species swarming my trees. All manner of warblers, oven birds grosebeaks, sparrows, swallows. etc...
Yup, I'm a bird nerd... lifelist and all.

Strange you mention the late arrivals. I've noticed the same thing here in northern Utah, but we have had a very mild winter. Flocks of swallows just started streaming through this past Monday (window seat, river flyway) and still no orioles (only last year's empty nests twisting in the wind).
Flygrain likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I love birds....but I hate sparlings ...they ate all my cherries
stenacron and Flygrain like this.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Yup, I'm a bird nerd... lifelist and all.
Me too and this reminds me to update my lifelist

Things are good here with the sand hill cranes already nesting, bald eagles on the nests, and the swans back in good numbers too. Of course there are the warblers and thrush which are personal favorites I think because they remind me of species from the mountains of PA.
stenacron and Flygrain like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-08-2014, 03:11 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

Of course there are the warblers and thrush which are personal favorites I think because they remind me of species from the mountains of PA
Yeah, nothing out west like the variety of warblers that push through those eastern mountains.
Flygrain likes this.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold

Got home from a job and grabbed the camera and made a circuit thru the most productive biding areas on my property. Man my head was spinning! Theyre everywhere! One thing that's quite unusual is many migratory birds have arrived before the first leaf has come forth. Which makes it significantly easier to spot birds.

I saw so many I wanted to shoot but was just too slow with the lens.

Heres a few from the hour I spent out there.

Ruby crowned Kinglet. This is the smallest bird we have next to the humming bird. When he's excited or ticked off, a bright red crown stands up on his head.

Click the image to open in full size.

Rose Breasted Grosebeak. Very abundant here now.

I think this is a Black Throated Green Warbler

A Purple Martin giving me a building inspection

Baltimore Oriole. Amazed at how many are here on my property... At least 2 dozen!

A pair of Magnolia Warblers. Really pretty bird! I want to get a good quality photo of this guy, Very shy bird.

Chestnut sided Warbler

Red bellied Woodpecker

This is just the beginning! The first migration is just coming thru and it is a good one!
Rip Tide, dean_mt and stenacron like this.
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 05-08-2014, 10:54 PM

You got some great shots there Flygrain... love the Chestnut-sided Warbler... very cool.

That 5th one from the top... that's a Tree Swallow, no?

Old 05-08-2014, 11:04 PM

oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough

While in South Florida recently on a back country flats trip I needed the third fish for a " back country slam" I already had the Redfish, and Trout, now I needed the Snook. Well, our spot was closed down to all access because of a nesting pair of Ospreys. I never got the Snook but snapped a pic of the reason why...Click the image to open in full size.
stenacron likes this.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:45 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I would not say I am a enthusiast, but I do love birds.

Finches crack me up. They act like they are on speed.