The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 10:46 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 - Any Fans Here?

Last night on TCM they showed "Le Mans" (1971, Steven McQueen)
Never saw it before... really cool.
No dialog at at all for the first 40 minutes and the plot doesn't begin until late in the movie
All racing. Actually footage from 1970. Super cinematography ... no CGI back then

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, fredaevans and stenacron like this.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:42 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Another dominating performance by Mercedes yesterday, lapping the field all the way up to 5th position! Red Bull insists the gap is closer than it appears on the track though.

I have to say, out of those two (Mercedes) drivers, Hamilton appears (to me) to have it all over Nico Rosberg with room to spare. That's the second time this season where Rosberg's tire strategy worked to perfection and he failed to get the pass done... settling for 2nd.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-12-2014, 05:11 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

F1 is quite a spectacle to view! Although I'm not very knowledgable I did have the opportunity to see a race in quite a unique way. 40 years ago I was on a fishing trip in upstate N.Y. And met a F1 driver named Bruce McGuiness of DRC Formula 1 Racing. We hung around together for a few days met some ladies and had a heck of a good time in general. Before we went our seperate ways he invited me to the race at Watkins Glen . I took him up on his invitation and when I got there I was taken down to the pit where I got to see the race from a perspective that few do. It was one of the coolest experiences of my life at the time one I will never forget!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-12-2014, 05:26 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I used to watch F-1 when I was in Asia, in the era of Mansell, Berger, Frost, Schummy, Senna, etc. But couldn't follow it anymore since I moved to the US.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post

I used to watch F-1 when I was in Asia, in the era of Mansell, Berger, Frost, Schummy, Senna, etc. But couldn't follow it anymore since I moved to the US.
It definitely takes a proactive effort to follow F1 here in the States. I don't even think it gets a mention on ESPN anymore.

Fortunately their website is top notch: Formula 1 - The Official F1 Website

F1 has one of the better Facebook pages as well, and NBC covers every event.
mcnerney likes this.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:55 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I think I watched 1 race on Speed Channel a few years back before I cut the cable and switched to Roku Streamer. I surely miss watching the races and racing strategy behind it.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:49 AM

dcbeattie is on a distinguished road

Actually espn has a site-- F1 2014 | Live Formula 1 Grand Prix news | ESPN.co.uk and if you are using chrome for your browser they have an extension -- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...nhkodicjackagc that will keep you up to date on f1 news.
mcnerney and stenacron like this.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:24 PM

I saw another one from the “MUST SEE” category over the weekend. A 2.5 hour documentary on the history of Formula 1 racing simply titled "1", focusing on the sport’s biggest stars and the approach to safety (or, “lack thereof” early on). Absolutely priceless interviews with all the greatest drivers in history and incredible racing footage... including some horrific crashes.

Some hilarious quotes from some of these guys as well... Jackie Stewart on the difference between racing at Monaco now versus the 1970’s, “In the 70’s the racing at Monaco was dangerous, but the sex was safe!”

Anyway, it’s right up there with Rush and Senna if you're a Formula 1 fan... here’s a link with more info:
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.