The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Global Warming

Strykr, we agree again.

What I really don't get is those who take a supposedly biblical view that we are suffering from delusions of grandeur if we think we are powerful enough to affect the climate ourselves. I seem to recall something in my mainstream protestant background about free will being a gift/privledge god offers us, but I guess not all have the same understanding.

Then again, this same group tends to side with a political group that preaches about "personal accountability" while using federal spending like a credit card will never have to pay off, but what do I know?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to steer clear of any Political or Religious post here.
I tend to get myself in trouble when questioning other folks opinions and viewpoints on either subject.....:

I have a question for any and everyone: Can we all agree that something is going on? whether it be "manmade" or an "act of nature"? something is happening?.....the Earth is changing?.....right?

C'mon folks work with me here.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-07-2008, 10:31 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

This site has some very interesting data on Northern Hemisphere polar ice recovery this winter... and some historical data that suggests the pattern we are concerned with is largely cyclical in nature. Not to say I don't believe there are problems with how we currently interact with nature that need attention in regard to concerns for global warming/GHG's etc... but I believe many of the answers are still much larger than we have yet to come to measure.

I know the snow pack here this year should lead to one of the best seasons we've had in a decade or more. A few more like this one and we'll see some recovery of the wild populations in rivers that have been largely supported by truck trout for several years now.

TL's~

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by momeneveau View Post
Curtis,
Did you watch the video that I posted a link to????
You would understand if you had.
I did not. I have looked into this matter sufficiently enough I feel to make an assessment of the situation and therefore found my case. For every video out there there is two more in the making.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Strykr, we agree again.

What I really don't get is those who take a supposedly biblical view that we are suffering from delusions of grandeur if we think we are powerful enough to affect the climate ourselves. I seem to recall something in my mainstream protestant background about free will being a gift/privledge god offers us, but I guess not all have the same understanding.

Then again, this same group tends to side with a political group that preaches about "personal accountability" while using federal spending like a credit card will never have to pay off, but what do I know?
Evidently not enough to refrain from making a jump in the conversation that places you in the position to put words or intent in my mouth.

Not once did I speak of a Biblical world view or about God (which really should be capitalized) or say that either of these issues constitutes my standing basis. Commenting on a flood does not mean that I have placed Biblical foundations as my reasoning behind my observations. It merely means that I see things changing normally since it's occurance and that todays climate is not a direct result of what the "scientists" of the day call it. I have not once stated anything to the contrary.

Of course I would debate the issue of "free will" with you all day but it is neither here nor there. I believe in Sovereignity which does not negate responsibility. Nowhere in there do I see myself putting forth any notion to the contrary.

I have not said even once, but have actually made it clear I feel being a good steward is the right thing. What I have said is that this global warming thing is a facade and that the earth is doing nothing more then it would have had it never had gases introduced simply based on one particular historical event.

Stykr;

I do not really believe that anything strange is happening. Our climates go through ups and downs all the time. Here we are several thousand years into this thing and climate and weather events are going to start ramping up. We see increases in tornadoes, hurricanes, and such but really I see this as the normal progression of things.

I just really don't see a need for alarm. Do your part to take care of what we are entrusted with and enjoy what we have been given. I don't think we need to dump pollutants into our streams and air and such but not because of a global climate change but because it is just asinine to do so. I have to breathe the air and drink the water. And supposing this world keeps going longer, so will my children, grandchildren, etc. I would like to give them some things to enjoy as I have. I want them to experience un-littered streams with wild fish.

Anyhoo, just my .02
Old 03-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Curtis,
I did not mention anything about "strange happenings". I asked if we could all agree that "something" is happening? I assume by your response that you agree, and feel it is natural? right?

So reading your post it appears that you believe all the pollutants that factories and cars put out in the atmosphere just go poof and disappear? right?

Not asking for a long drawn out debate from anyone yet, just a simple "yes or no" answer.

This could be a great thread if we can keep it all civil.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-08-2008, 09:16 AM

My mistake. I did misread. My apologies.

I do agree that "something" is happening. But I feel it is the way that it is supposed to happen.

Again I feel that we need to be conscious of our individual actions and not go out of our way to negatively impact our surroundings. This more though is a surface impact as I feel that all the rest is already in place.

I am glad that people are concerned about our planet and want to take care of it. I like the natural things we have left. What I don't feel inclined to do though is place these things as most important. For me personally, if we have not open spaces left but are still carrying out our modern day holocaust, we are bankrupt beyond hope and trees just won't matter.

As far as it all going "poof" one day and disappearing? No, it will be more of a tremendous boom.

But for now, I think I would really like it if this global cooling that is happening right now would turn off as I would really like to hit a couple of my local creeks. Those fish are taunting me.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post

I do agree that "something" is happening. But I feel it is the way that it is supposed to happen.

Again I feel that we need to be conscious of our individual actions and not go out of our way to negatively impact our surroundings. This more though is a surface impact as I feel that all the rest is already in place.

I am glad that people are concerned about our planet and want to take care of it. I like the natural things we have left. What I don't feel inclined to do though is place these things as most important. For me personally, if we have not open spaces left but are still carrying out our modern day holocaust, we are bankrupt beyond hope and trees just won't matter.

As far as it all going "poof" one day and disappearing? No, it will be more of a tremendous boom.

But for now, I think I would really like it if this global cooling that is happening right now would turn off as I would really like to hit a couple of my local creeks. Those fish are taunting me.

Curtis,
I wish you would speak more directly instead of in riddles.

I'll be back later to post more to this, I just don't feel like decoding some of what your saying at this moment.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:46 PM

I am not sure what is such a riddle to you but I would be glad to bring into light my statements further via private message. No need to open up a can of worms (san juan of course) on this thread that will completely derail it.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post

Ok, good....something we agree on, except for the "that it is supposed to happen" part.
Gotta start somewhere.

"All the rest is already in place"? meaning what?

I am glad that people are concerned about our planet and want to take care of it. I like the natural things we have left. What I don't feel inclined to do though is place these things as most important. For me personally, if we have not open spaces left but are still carrying out our modern day holocaust, we are bankrupt beyond hope and trees just won't matter.I'm not asking you to place this at the top of your "priority list". I'm only asking you and the next guy to do a little more to curb the waste. It's something we all need to do, Ya know the old saying, "Many hands make light work."

As far as it all going "poof" one day and disappearing? No, it will be more of a tremendous boom. You avoided the question. By mentioning "Nuclear explosions", I think?

The weather has been great in our area, so you can't use that excuse for not getting out and fishing.