The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road
Default Global Warming

Dozens of hunters and anglers from across the country went to Washington, DC to make sure Congress listens to the voice of sportsmen on global warming.

Read the rest here: Hunting and Angling Groups Demand Climate Action | Targetglobalwarming.org
Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis
Default Re: Global Warming

Global warming? Actually we are in a state of global cooling right now. Don't fall for it.

It has been so cold here the last little while I think everyone should get an suv and contribute to this warming thing that does not exist any more then it has since the flood.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Well Curtis, you're consistent.

Its real, and we're causing it.

Gristmill: The environmental news blog | Grist

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:18 PM

doc will become famous soon enough

Man, I get so tired of this 'man made' global warming ****. If you look at the science used by both sides of the debate, they show the same thing; temperatures rise then green house gases, not the other way around. Not saying the earth isn't warming as we are still coming out of an ice age and weather patterns have been cooling and warming since weather records began (in the 70's we were supposedly heading into another ice age) and will continue to change until the Earth's demise. There are so many scientists jumping off of the IPCC's band wagon because of the science that back's up the fact it is not man made it's unbelievable. The problem is; as long as we have scientists that want job security, TV networks that want good ratings and guys like Al Gore who are lining their pockets with the money from these scare tactics, people just won't see the real picture. Imagine if all the money and energy wasted on reducing green house gases could be used on answering the question, 'How do we deal with this and what measures do we take because it's going to happen regardless?'. Wake up people and check the science for yourself.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 AM

Well, you call it science, I call it a facade. The earth has been in this state of change for several thousand years now and it is no different today. I do not debate that people are irresponsible in their stewardship of this planet but there is a big difference between taking care of your sphere and becoming and alarmist.

Sorry, but I think there is a few issues much more pressing then worrying about gasses in the air or if our global temps rise or fall this year. There is always something that comes out that "desperately" needs our attention above the real issues that are happening and being obscured by the meaningless ones. That is the way they are designed to work.

I will keep my focus on what is really important and let the world worry about it's new issue of the week.

It is all going to be okay.

Oh, and thanks Cliff. Consistency is good. But I must say that the word "science" is one I don't put any stock in these days. This the same word that brings us such silly notions as macro-evolution and an earth that is millions and millions of years old. Nope, no science there.

Anyhoo, on to the fishing.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

So there's no need to reduce carbon dioxide emissions and other pollutants into the atmosphere because they aren't doing any harm, right?

I don't care what the scientists from either side say. There's no way you can release 100 million years of stored carbon into the atmosphere over the past 100-150 years and it not have an impact.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:19 PM

momeneveau is on a distinguished road

The argument is: The earth could not possibly be warming as fast as it is, without the influence of humans. The rates at which the Ice Caps are melting is incredible- THERE IS NO WAY THAT WE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS! Yes, there is a natural period of warming and cooling, but temperatures do not rise or fall this drastically under normal conditions.
I suggest you watch this video- it makes an argument for why we should try to hinder global warming even if it isn't happening. I highly suggest everyone watch this!!

YouTube - Most Simple, Concise, Complete Global Warming argument

the guy in the video makes a very good point!!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:16 PM

"Try to hinder global warming even if it isn't happening."????

Um, HUH?!? Regardless if the warming thing were even true, this kind of statement just makes no sense. Should I try to eradicate starvation from a town of overfed people?

Nevertheless, there are such drastically more pressing issues at hand that I just refuse to allow such as this to overshadow them. In the long run, this will not matter.

Sorry, but I am not buying it and I feel there is ample evidence to show why not and explain in no uncertain terms where this all is coming from and why I need to be weary of such claims.

I have no issue with being good stewards and respecting this planet for what it is. I do not litter and find it disgusting when people do. I do throw my recyclables in the county provided container they gave me, though I must admit that were it not for this container, I never would think much of it. But I won't worry myself about it all, staring fearfully to the sky, but instead, choose to keep focused on the things that matter.

I let the world worry about the world.

NOTW
Old 03-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

While I may not agree that we absolutely have to move right now, I do agree that man made pollutants are causing damage to our planet, and that a "Long term solution" needs to found.

The pollutants from the industrial age do not just disappear, the accumulated pollutants are the "real long term issue" that needs to be addressed.

It amazes me that people want to enjoy what our planet has to offer but don't think we need to help take care of it.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 PM

momeneveau is on a distinguished road

Curtis,
Did you watch the video that I posted a link to????
You would understand if you had.