The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 08:46 AM

Schlick is on a distinguished road
Default Unbelievably Ignorant!

I recently went into a Local Fishing Store to purchase my license, check out some new waiders, and replenish a few spinners and other various goodies for the new vest my wife bought me.

Anyway, upon entering the store, the shop's owner stopped a conversation he was having with a few other customers standing around the counter and abruptly asked, is there anything I can help you with sir - I felt as though I was in trouble for something, or had rudely interrupted something obviously more important than a purchase...

I had asked if I could purchase a license through them. The shop owner signed, shook his head, and said almost made it boys. I asked him what was up, and he had said that they almost made it one entire day with having someone like me come in. I should have just walked out right there. I told him that I didn't understand what the problem was. He explained how frustrating it was and how much time and money it costs him to process these licenses.

I paid for my license while patiently listening to his antics, after which I told him that I usually grab my license at Canadian Tire or WalMart along with any line or hooks I may need... any specialized gear I pickup usually is purchased at BPS or smaller mom and pop shops closer to a few of my favorite streams. He just looked at me funny... and said "haven't ever seen you in here before" - to which I told him that I was new to the area, and hadn't ever know he was there, until a chap at Canadian Tire told me that they didn't sell licenses anymore and actually mentioned his store.

I explained to the man that he should see this as a business opportunity rather than a nuisance... and that if it weren't for the fact that I can no longer purchase a license from Canadian Tire or WalMart, I probably never would have found his shop - his ability to service me with a license has put him on the map.

I told the guy that most guys that aren't really all that into fishing would probably only ever purchase a license and a few lures at WalMart, and never have a need to walk into his store - if he put together an intro to fishing package or advertised any charters him or his employees run, that he stands to profit more from this entire thing. He said an intro package means discounts which means that he losses even more money and time. My frustration just flared, and I could see the conversation was going nowhere, I simply turned my back and walked out shaking my head - I made sure to mutter loud enough that its a wonder idiots like this are still in business.

Some stores spend a great deal of money on advertising and promotions in order to entice people simply to be aware of, or (even better) to walk into their store... How can somebody be so ignorant and not recognize that this as a golden opportunity.

Sorry guys and gals - just had to vent.

I now drive 30-40 minutes to purchase gear in the next closest town - I refuse to purchase anything from the morons at my local shop conveniently 15 minutes away from my home.

Schlick.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 AM

philthy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unbelievably Ignorant!

Schlick,

Good for you! I think I would have left during mid pen stroke, instead of buying my license fom him. Maybe if it's such a hassle and causing him to lose money, why doesn't he stop selling licenses?

There was an archery shop in Tucson I picked up a couple of bows from that was almost the same way, except you just got ignored if you weren't one of the "cronies". A few months later this shop owner was complaining about business being slow and I hit him between the eyes about buying several hundred dollars worth of arrows and accessories somewhere else because I refused to stand around for 20 minutes while he and his non-shopping buddies discussed the weather. Did his business practices change? Not as far as I know.

It's a darn shame places like this exist. I love doing business with Mom and Pop shops and look to them first - as long as I know they want and appreciate my business.

Phil
Old 03-05-2008, 10:34 AM

Schlick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unbelievably Ignorant!

Well put Phil! You wonder how people like that are still in business.