The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 01:18 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perhaps you have to be 'old' to fully understand.

Subject: ARE YOU "GOING GREEN?"
>
> Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.
>
>
> The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."
>
>
> The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."
>
>
> She was right -- our generation didn't have the 'green thing' in our day.
>
>
> Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles, and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed, sterilized, and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over.
>
>
> So they really were recycled.
>
>
> But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
>
>
> Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things, most memorable, besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribbling. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown bag but we didn't do the "green thing" back then.
>
>
> We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.
>
>
> But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.
>
>
> Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line -- not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.
>
>
> But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
>
>
> Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief
> (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana.
>
>
> In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.
>
>
>
> But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
>
>
> We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the hole razor just because the blade got dull.
>
>
> But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
>
>
> Back then people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the "green thing." We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.
>
>
> But isn’t it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?
>
>
> Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smartass young person...
>
>
> We don’t like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to pi ss us off . . . especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smartass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.
>
>
Ha! OLD PEOPLE RULE BECAUSE WE ACTUALLY TAKE THE TIME TO VOTE!
Old 07-05-2014, 02:58 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Perhaps you have to be 'old' to fully understand.

Those of us older than 30 remember that the plastic bags that the Greenies hate so much these days were the result of the Greenies complaining that the use of paper bags was destroying the forests.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:38 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Fred, good post! Funny how our perspective changes as we age.

Most plastics are a product down the line from the production of oil. Yes, they're not good for the environment if they're not recycled. Look what the demand for oil does for the environment all around. Heck, we kill each other over it!

Yep, forests get destroyed for the demand for paper products. Not good for the environment either. Of course tree's can be planted, so it's a renewable resource which is good for the environment. Unfortunately, it takes a long time to grow a tree. Oil takes a bit longer , and can't be planted. Once it's gone, it's gone!

If we could control our insatiable desire for "things", we might be able to use what is given to us in a manner that would be sustainable. Yeah, right!

We didn't have that green thing when I was growing up but we had the same problem that we have now! GREED! There was simply less people when we were growing up!

Think we'll ever be satisfied? Not in our life times I'm sure!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-05-2014, 04:02 PM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Subject: ARE YOU "GOING GREEN?"

> We don’t like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to pi ss us off . . . especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smartass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.
There was a whole lot in here that I liked a lot but I must say this is my favorite, and unfortunately truer than it should be. Enjoyable read Fred thanks...
Old 07-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great read Fred and all the input, sure makes you sit up and think what we are doing to the environment.
This week I have been fishing with Muzzy, he made a point yesterday that folks in the campground where he was staying would get in their car and drive over to the outhouse, rather than walking the 40 yards, pretty pathetic situation.
imxer, fredaevans and kglissmeyer1 like this.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:58 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I still prefer brown paper bags over plastic- If you put a bunch of full plastic bags in the back of a pickup and take them home, on arrival, you'll have a bed full of loose groceries and the bags will likely have blown out the back.
When Fred and I were youngsters, the grocery guy would pick up a bag by the top and snap it open with a flick of his wrist. It sounded like a pistol shot. Try that today and you'll be holding a small piece of brown paper. That's why I also always double bag those brown paper bags despite the signs saying not to. Woe to the store employee who mentions it to me: He's got a serious old-guy rant coming!
Old timey paper bags could survive a full day of trick or treating in the rain without self destructing. When the candy was gone, you could still drain your bacon on 'em.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 07-05-2014, 07:13 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Great post,Fred, as usual. Thanks for the smile !
kglissmeyer1 likes this.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:33 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for The Memories Fred I can equate to all that.
I realise we all need exercise for Health Fitness however I never could understand people who drive 20-30 Minutes to The Gym I would personally prefer to walk along a Bank Fishing.
Brian
fredaevans, kglissmeyer1 and siege like this.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:37 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
I still prefer brown paper bags over plastic- If you put a bunch of full plastic bags in the back of a pickup and take them home, on arrival, you'll have a bed full of loose groceries and the bags will likely have blown out the back.
When Fred and I were youngsters, the grocery guy would pick up a bag by the top and snap it open with a flick of his wrist. It sounded like a pistol shot. Try that today and you'll be holding a small piece of brown paper. That's why I also always double bag those brown paper bags despite the signs saying not to. Woe to the store employee who mentions it to me: He's got a serious old-guy rant coming!
Old timey paper bags could survive a full day of trick or treating in the rain without self destructing. When the candy was gone, you could still drain your bacon on 'em.
So hear you JJ. As a 'youth,' Mom lied about my age as you had to be 16 to get a job, and a 'Bag Boy' at a A & P grocery store. Being able to take one of the big bags and pop that open with a flick of the hand was a "Right of Passage."

Summer and some numb-nut would ask you to bag up a 20 pound Water Mellon; mind say what the 'fu ck up' is in your mind???? Newbies would (double bag or not) would do that and the bloody thing went right through the bottom as soon as they picked it up (a one time only event). Hell of a 'Clean up at check stand 3.'

fae
repperson29 likes this.

Last edited by fredaevans; 07-05-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: No idea how I got a double post?????
Old 07-05-2014, 09:52 PM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

Oh wow, my mom worked at an A&P grocery store when I was very young. Haven't thought about that in a while. I remember a friend of mine and I used to run around and find pop bottles and clean them up and take them there for some candy money. Good stuff!