The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 12:35 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cell phone and 'old people.'

Save for in my pocket I don't pay attention ..... tonight an e-mail and etc. Battery was dead as a door nail. Will call Charlie tomorrow. As the thing is my 'life line' if I eat a shxt sandwich, must pay closer attention.

I suspect "Mr. Dog-Dog" would agree.
mcnerney, mridenour and oldnewguy like this.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:45 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cell phone and 'old people.'

What kind of diet do they have you on, Fred ?
Just plug it in when you go to bed. You can't overcharge the newer phones. You got rid of the one with the hand crank on the side, didn't you ?
Old 07-17-2014, 02:13 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Just plug it in when you go to bed. You can't overcharge the newer phones. You got rid of the one with the hand crank on the side, didn't you ?
LMFAO!!!! (Laughing My F'ing Ass Out)
mcnerney, mridenour and jimp like this.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:42 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Interesting you should ask. First phone on the Farm did have a hand crank and "Martha, give me two longs and a short." (No shxt!) The one in my pocket was purchased back about 1995; SOB still works so I'm keeping the bloody thing.

Back then: One 'wire' connected everyone, and everyone could listen in ..... Funny as hell, there would/could be a half dozen folks on the line at one time. But you had to speak Russian or it was all gobble de gook. The flat land of Manitoba; even more interesting when you were in Ocean Falls, BC. There you'd better understand/cut through a Scottish Accent. Those Fellows could say more, with fewer words, than anyone I've ever met.

Did have to replace the battery a few years back and 'strange look' from the ATT guy .... 'How long have you had this thing?' Fellow wanted to sell me a new one; not a chance in hell. This one has been dumped in the river (twice that I can think of) and shake it off and it just works.

They don't make things like they used too?

fae
Old 07-18-2014, 07:29 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

That's so true, Fred. They really don't make things like they used to.
Back in the day, products were designed to last, and we bought the brands that had the best reputations for the quality and longevity they had. If it broke, they repaired it.
Today, technology brings us new products so fast that they are discontinued, and no longer supported, even while we are learning how to use them. You may find that the replacement battery for your cell phone is no longer available. It's how you get forced to upgrade your equipment. The good news is, your new phone will weigh half of what the old one did, and the battery will last twice as long.
fredaevans and oldnewguy like this.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:57 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

The ol' party lines! When we visited the grandparents, after a while we'd pick up the phone and say "Hi", whoever was on always happy to talk.

Cell phones aren't made like they used to- they're a damn sight better! Catch up to the smartphone age, Fred; you'll wonder what you did before. My parents (mid 70s) love theirs.

CAB

P.S.Get a good case, the new ones are durn near indestructible. Don't take my word for it, we're talking milspec here.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:19 PM

smilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura about

My mom is 73 and got her first Iphone just this week.

Fred I say go down and get an Iphone now all the Grandmas are doing it!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:38 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingduck View Post

Dang I'm 26 and got my first cell phone last year!

Ryan
Old 07-18-2014, 10:16 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

A little over two years ago, I begged my mom to get a newer phone that had the 911 locator in it. The old flip phone she had been using didn't hold a charge but more important didn't have the 911 locator.

I took her shopping for Mother's day and she looked at a lot of different ones before deciding on an iPhone. She'd never sent a text message until she had the iPhone. She absolutely loves what she can do with it and the ease of use.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:

NO!

It ain't broke and I'm not going to fix it.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
The ol' party lines! When we visited the grandparents, after a while we'd pick up the phone and say "Hi", whoever was on always happy to talk.

Cell phones aren't made like they used to- they're a damn sight better! Catch up to the smartphone age, Fred; you'll wonder what you did before. My parents (mid 70s) love theirs.

CAB

P.S.Get a good case, the new ones are durn near indestructible. Don't take my word for it, we're talking milspec here.
Hear you, no bad pun intended. Mine rings and I just say Good Morning, or what's appropriate for the time of the day. Daughter, "Julie-Bolie" calling to check up on me. She's a Sr. Diatation (SP?) and does all the meal plannings for several Sr. Centers. She knows that my main meal of the day is a frozen TV dinner.

Actually the things are pretty good. And cost $1.00; Cooking for one is a total PAIN IN THE BUTT!.