The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

View Poll Results: What's your age group & how many years of FF experience?
Age <20 4 4.65%
Age 20-29 17 19.77%
Age 30-39 9 10.47%
Age 40-49 23 26.74%
Age 50+ 32 37.21%
I've been fishing for <1 yr 10 11.63%
I've been fishing for <5 yrs 21 24.42%
I've been fishing for 6-10 yrs 12 13.95%
I've been fishing for 11-20 yrs 7 8.14%
I've been fishing for 20+ yrs 34 39.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age/Experience

Well there you have it....we were cut from the same cloth!
I would love to take you up on that....Lil' Bro LOL
Old 04-15-2008, 03:42 PM

fin??whatfin?? is on a distinguished road

If you are serious bring a nine weight and some big flys.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:16 AM

WANTONJ is on a distinguished road
Re: Age/Experience

My wife Diane got me into trout fishing when I was 20 on our honeymoon,yes she is my little buddy, about a year later I started fly fishing ,let see I hate to admit it but I am 67 and still learning.have a good and safe day.

Captain Wayne Valley Fire Service.Valley Springs Calif.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:58 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about

Lambster has FF for 30yrs. and I love every minute of it! Its the only talent that God gave me! The beauty and peace of Sernity that Flyfishing brings to the angler!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:30 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

I got my first flyrod for my 14th birthday--a 9-1/2 Wright & Mcgill, a Shakespeare "ok" automaic and a level "d" flyline----i dont know if i could cast that outfit today but i was flyfishin---almost 49 years ago.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Here is one presented to me. What is your take:
"If someone fishes 5 out of 7 days a week for ONE year, does he end up with the same knowledge as someone who fishes maybe 4 -6 days A MONTH for 20 years?"
I've seen a lot of posts that either qualfiy or add material for thought to this question; but if someone has actualy taken a position on it; then I've missed it.

There are two variable elements in this question which form the basis for most of the discussion so far. They sit adjacent to each other in the question and they're the words: "same" and "knowledge".

Going to the first variable; "same", for me the simple rhetorical answer to this queston is "no" since, by defninition, and almost certainly based on everyone's life experiences, no two things are ever completely the same.

Going to the second variable; "knowledge", I'm going to have to qualify and define this if I'm going to proceed to what I think is the crux of the question. So, here it is. Knowledge, as others on this thread have pointed out, is a multi-faceted quality/entity. But, for the sake of trying to deal in some reasonable manner with this variable, I'm going to assume for the sake of this post, that knowledge means a general knowledge of all aspects of fly fishing; with no more weight being given to any one aspect than to each of the others. So, with knowledge defined this way, the playing field is now relatively level and I can take a position on what I think is the implied crux of the question, which for me is: does he end up with more or less knowledge? In other words, does a lower freqency of experience coupled to a longer period of time trump a higher frequency of experience coupled to a shorter period of of time?

Dismissing the inherently variable nature of the words "more" and "less", my answer is that the person who fishes 4-6 times a month for 20 years, ends up with more knowledge than the one who fishes 5 days a week for a year. And that's as far as I'm taking it on this post. Food for thought or a target to shoot at - "gentlemen and ladies - start your engines!"

Pocono

PS - I think I may owe the forum an apology on this post. It's clearly drifting off-topic from the original question asked by the thread initiator and from the spirit of the forum in general. All I can add is that this is what sometimes happens to me when I'm on an island off the coast of Maine, with a brand new 9 wt. rod, wanting to go striper fishing and being faced with a fog that's so thick you can't even see the water from the shore. Pray for some wind and sun so that I can leave this theoretical wordplay behind and get back to enjoying life. I need a good fish, or two, or three!
Old 08-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

My prayers are with the FOG LIFTING Gods.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:47 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I forget, what was the question?

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 08-18-2008, 07:57 AM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road

Ive been fishing all my life. Grew up workin on the families sport fishing boat summers in Pensacola....Just started fly fishing a little under 2 years ago, been hooked ever since.....Its a good way to get away from all the job related stress...

37 this year.....

Bruce
Old 08-19-2008, 07:50 AM

mikeo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Here is one presented to me. What is your take:
"If someone fishes 5 out of 7 days a week for ONE year, does he end up with the same knowledge as someone who fishes maybe 4 -6 days A MONTH for 20 years?"
Interesting thread -- and I believe that in fly fishing (as in most things of life that bring us any measure of pleasure) it is the quality not the quantity of the experience -- just my $.02 worth -- and Joni I believe that no matter whether you're 21 or 23 or howeer old, OR fish 5-7 days a for a year or 4-6 days a MONTH for 20 years, you personally obviously love the quality of the experience you get from fly fishing (love your blog!!!!)