The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

View Poll Results: What's your age group & how many years of FF experience?
Age <20 4 4.65%
Age 20-29 17 19.77%
Age 30-39 9 10.47%
Age 40-49 23 26.74%
Age 50+ 32 37.21%
I've been fishing for <1 yr 10 11.63%
I've been fishing for <5 yrs 21 24.42%
I've been fishing for 6-10 yrs 12 13.95%
I've been fishing for 11-20 yrs 7 8.14%
I've been fishing for 20+ yrs 34 39.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 10:15 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough
Default Age/Experience

So let's see what our demographics look like - PICK ONE OF EACH, AGE & EXPERIENCE.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-13-2008, 01:37 AM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Age/Experience

I think it's useful to note for us old guys that got in to FF late, whether or not you are new to fishing in general. I've been fishing since I was 8 but just took up the Fly a year and a half ago.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:05 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

over 50 and doing it for over 35 years..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-13-2008, 08:50 PM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Over 70 and doing it FF, for 60 year+
Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

42 and been flyfishing since I was a young pre-teen, didn't get really serious about it until I was about 24.
Spent several years seriously fishing my *** off and putting many, many miles on 3 Toyota pickups wandering from the Bighorn, San Juan, Green, and especially the Henry's Fork area....

Being single, making decent money, and having lots of vacation time made for some great memories and friendships along the way.
Very lucky to have a wife that loves this game as much as I do, still fish alot but not as much as those younger days.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-16-2008, 03:46 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I think you could say Fly Fishing has brought me full circle. At the age of 10 my Dad took me fly fishing one afternoon on Lewis Lake in Yellowstone. Did it some more as a young boy, and then really got into come my college years. Now I'm back in the Yellowstone area fishing and guiding 35 years later. Dad tries to make it each summer. Now he has me going to Florida to fly fish saltwater a couple of times a year. Wonder if that means I got one more move to make. LOL

Davo

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-19-2008, 09:20 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Experience is a funny thing. some people have twenty years experience and some have one year experience twenty times.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:57 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

That's a good one. There is also the fact that one angler's year is not necessarily equal to another. There is a difference between someone who fished a hundred days a year for multiple species at numerous fisheries vs one who spent a handful or a dozen days on the water at one or two local fisheries. Does one fish dries only or also streamers, nymphs, and lots of different techniques?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I ain't giving no age thing away, but I grew up with the Snake River (Sturgeon waters) for a back yard. Fishing since I was 4 and fly fishing half my life and that is all I am going to say.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

C'mon Joni, we all know your 23.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*