The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 06:29 AM

Rocksteady is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sleeping bags and dome tents?

I am an avid backpacker, so my concerns are more along the line of weight along with protection. Down is by far the best insulator still today. If you are willing to shell out the money, you can get several down bags that have a pertex or epic shell that are not only warm and light, they are also waterproof so you don't have to be concerned with getting the bag wet any more than you would with a synthetic. On tents during the summer I use a hammock. I have not been anywhere yet that I couldn't find suitable trees to hang from and it is much more comfortable than a tent. During the colder months, unless you are in the artic, I would recommend almost any tarptent with bug netting and a floor. Six moon designs, Tarptent.com, and anti gravity gear are a few that produce very high quality tents at a very low weight.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

BUMP!!
Thought I would bring this thread up again.

We ended up getting a Dome Tent and new Mummy Bags this past Summer. Both are made by "ALPS", seem like good quality, and the prices were not too out of line. boy what a weight and size difference it made when transporting and packing.
We enjoyed using them, and actually stayed quite comfortable.

Now I need a good sleeping pad. The ones we had this year were ok, but I want something just a little better.

Anyone have some recommendations on good ones? I would like to get a pad about 3" thick and hopefully not weigh more than about 5lbs. Not like I'm hiking in, so I may as well get a nice comfy one. right?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Therma-Rest makes a fairly thick pad, used to be called the Luxury model or something like that. I think it was 1.5-2" thick. I would suggest getting a foam "Ridge-Rest" pad to use under whatever inflatable you get both to protect the inflatable and so you're not on the hard ground in the case of a leak. I actually use two Ridge-Rest pads stacked cuz they never develop holes.

Course I'm also the type that only owns corded drills cuz their batteries' are never dead.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:20 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Ya all come on out and try out your tents and sleeping bags in my back yard ... today.

Got a couple inches of wind whipped snow, wind chill about -10, actual temp about 15. But the sun is shinning!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Anyone have some recommendations on good ones? I would like to get a pad about 3" thick and hopefully not weigh more than about 5lbs. Not like I'm hiking in, so I may as well get a nice comfy one. right?

Hi Fysh,

Based on your requirements you might want to look at the Thermarest BaseCamp XL. The Thermarest self inflating mattress are great and a big time saver. I use a Thermarest all over Alaska hunting and fishing. The only problem is they are expensive and you have to keep them away from any wood burning fires. An ember will melt right through the cover.

You don't need a 3" Thermarest. The trick is how to adjust the air. If you put too much air into the mattress it will be hard, uncomfortable and you may slide off. When you start to make camp just open the valve and unroll the mattress. After the mattress has self inflated I usually blow in a little extra air to make it a little firm and close the valve. Lay on top of the mattress and try to push your hand to the ground. If you can't touch the ground, you need to let out a little air. You want the air balance to be such that when you lay on the mattress your hip or shoulder is not touching the ground laying on your side. But if you push your hand hard down on the mattress you can just touch the ground. The biggest mistake that is made with the Thermarest is to inflate it too hard. These mattresses have foam inside and provide insulation from the cold ground.

Campmor has the BaseCamp on sale right now. Take a look at this link and check out all of the sleeping options.

Thermarest BaseCamp XL Self Inflating Mattress
Item Number: 99452
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

CAMP & COMFORT™ Series
Crafted for maximum comfort. The warmest, most comfortable mattresses ever.
Ideal for family campers, base campers and car campers who rarely carry their gear. These mattresses boast such luxurious features as stretch knit fabrics, extra-thick foam and cushy pillow tops for unmatched softness and warmth. BaseCamp™
All-purpose car-camping mattress, now warmther than ever.
  • Cushioning: Added thickness for increased comfort.
  • Extra-Warm: Solid foam core provides superior warmth.
  • Self-Inflating.
  • Color: Dark Blue.
  • Size: 30 in. x 77 in. x 2 in.
  • Rolled Size: 30 in. x 5.6 in.
  • Weight: 4 lbs. 4 oz.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

You folks can always be relied upon for good info.
I have been looking at the 'Therma-Rest' Pads, they seem very nice too. I've also been looking at some of the Cabellas sleeping Pads. I think Cabellas carries 'Therma-Rest also, so I will take a gander at them all on Friday morning.

Frank, Campmore is offering some good dels at the moment, if I do not get anything Friday, I will probably order thrue them. Thank you for the great link.

keep the info comin......

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-10-2008, 03:44 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

I work at Cabela's and they do carry Therma-rest. I also own a Therma-rest Base Camp XL. Great pad, use it for float trips and also overnight camping. It is built with strong materials so putting it on open ground is no problem if needed. Not to mention, but the ladies love it also if you know what I mean.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I work at Cabela's and they do carry Therma-rest. I also own a Therma-rest Base Camp XL. Great pad, use it for float trips and also overnight camping. It is built with strong materials so putting it on open ground is no problem if needed. Not to mention, but the ladies love it also if you know what I mean.

Could you please elaborate on the last Sentenence.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:42 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

There is plenty of cushion for what some might call the pushin'. Even deflated it is comfortable pad to sleep on.

That is enough I rather not be banned.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Fogerty View Post
Check out the self inflating Therm-a-Rest Trail Lite sleeping pad. It's the best thing out there.

Being called "Lite" I'm thinkin it does not have the padding that the "Base Camp" has, but I will certainly take a peek at them.