The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 05:01 PM

fox is on a distinguished road
Default Sierra Trading Post

Well, finally got my Hardy Zenith 8105-1 today...kinda

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:13 PM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sierra Trading Post

Ouch! So how many sections do you have now?
Old 08-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Now that is sad news, I can only imagine how you are feeling about now.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:42 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Sierra Trading Post

Don't blame STP, you can package same just short of 'bullet proof,' but once you 'lick the stamps' from there beyond your control. No idea how/if they respond to 'I need another one,' but a phone call will answer that.

If the package was insured (and to what amount) the US postal service will replace. DON'T OPEN THE TUBE!!!!!!!!!

fae
bigjim5589 and repperson29 like this.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:57 PM

fox is on a distinguished road

The cap was missing. I shoved the rod case back into the tube before I took the picture. It's all dirty and scuffed up. I will give it a good look over and contact STP after my food settles from dinner.

It has been a long day today, but you're right. I noticed UPS acting funny the other day and weird updates to my order. The morning of the first scheduled delivery went fine. Said "Out for Delivery". The driver showed up and then left informing me the package must have been placed on the wrong truck. After that I figured the worst.

I decided to start taking screen shots since the status was being rewritten every hour or so it seemed like with no record keeping apparent. I even contacted Live Chat.

If you broke it fine, own up to it. I hate being led around. Waste of time really. They should have been big boys and sent it back to STP and paid for a replacement.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:52 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

That's just all bad!
Mine came from Michigan via UPS with absolutely no problems BUT, it was packed in a very substantial square shaped box, not a tube.
I've shipped a lot of one piece saltwater rods and cardboard tubes (unless they've got a wall thickness of 1/2") are NOT the way to go!

Keep us updated on how this goes with STP . . . they're not the only game in town.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:56 PM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

The rod didn't come with it's own tube ?

I had a blank shipped that way that meet the same fate.

It will probably be covered but a royal PIA...................
Old 08-15-2014, 08:08 PM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about

They sent me a 9wt Proaxis last spring that arrived in a similar fashion. When I opened it, I discovered that the tip was broke. I contacted STP and they fixed it right away. They sent me a replacement out within the hour at no cost along with a shipping label to send the busted one back so there was no fuss there or cost associated with that.

I've zero problems with their customer service. They really do their best to fix things as quickly as possible. 5 stars.

If you're not getting anywhere, ask to speak to Devin. He's a senior guy and will square things away for you. He told me it wasn't for me to argue with UPS, STP would settle things up with them, he just wanted to get me fishing ASAP. Good guy to deal with. He even sold me a second one for a discount $260 something.... Can't beat it.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:12 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I bought one a few months ago. It arrived with the outer cardboard shipping tube similarly damaged (although not that badly) but the Hardy factory rod case and rod inside intact.

STP is usually pretty good on customer satisfaction, but how would you return it for refund or exchange if the tube it arrived in is broken? If your factory rod case is dirty but the rod is undamaged, it might be easier to clean it up and live with it. You might be able to email them some photos and negotiate a partial refund over the phone for the scuffing without having to ship it back.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

UPDATE: Based on what labradorguy said up above, maybe they would ship you a new one first, and you could ship back the old one in the new shipping tube when it arrives.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 08-16-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:01 PM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough

I've bough a ton of stuff off STP and have never had a shipping or customer service complaint. Give them a call, they'll take care of you.