The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Best 'table grapes' I've ever eaten!

Found these at 'Trader Joe's' here in Medford. Anyway, what caught my eye was the name of the grape which was totally new to me: "Thomcord Seedless Grapes"

A cross between Thompson Seedless and Concord Grapes.

'MY OH MY!

Extraordinary flavor! May be too late to find them now (save for Trader Joe's?) so mark this down for next July-August when they're usually in season.
mcnerney, milt spawn and cochise like this.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:36 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Best 'table grapes' I've ever eaten!

Thanks Fred This will give me a good reason to stop at TJ's tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:09 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Blew through the first pound in less than a day .... Self says to Self ... get in Jeep and drive back to Medford. Three pounds now in the fridge and I'm going to keep my hands off those for ... say .... another 30 minutes?

mcnerney and Flygrain like this.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold

Fred you crack me up! If I blew thru a pound of grapes in a day, they'd blow thru me in about 90 seconds! LOL. That's right, I forgot a TJ popped up in meth-ford after I left a few years ago.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 09-12-2014, 06:29 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Fred it's not surprising as we have seedless Grapes developed over here by The Department of Agriculture Horticulture Division now Sold as Thompson Seedless Grapes either The Green ones or The Red Globe Varieties both Seedless & very Sweet.. however the ones over here have a Warning saying to wash them before eating..
I also find it easy to dispose of them very quickly.
Brian
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:32 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I love Trader Joes!!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
I love Trader Joes!!
You may pay for it, but anything in TJ's will be in the top 10% of what ever you could buy at any price.

Anyone else remember the origin of 'Two Buck Chuck?' (Hint: Think 9/11) Here in Oregon its 'Three Buck Chuck.'

fae
mcnerney and cochise like this.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we had a TJ's out here in Wyoming, I always make sure I stop by the one in CA when visiting with my brother, but I don't get out there very often.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Fred it's not surprising as we have seedless Grapes developed over here by The Department of Agriculture Horticulture Division now Sold as Thompson Seedless Grapes either The Green ones or The Red Globe Varieties both Seedless & very Sweet.. however the ones over here have a Warning saying to wash them before eating..
I also find it easy to dispose of them very quickly.
Brian

Why the typical seedless grapes in the States are so 'bland?' They water the hell out of the vines to plump up the grapes as they're sold by the pound. More water, more weight, etc.

Actually the typical table grape will make pretty good home made wine if you tend to the plant like you would a wine grape. Only so much sugar being produced so as you 'add water' this gets diluted down to next to nothing.

BLAH!
Old 09-12-2014, 10:49 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Fred in the 80s A mate & I once tried to make Wine however it was a little like Vinegar so we gave it a miss so I now buy my Wines which are by far better quality.

Originally he had 7000 Bottles of Beer as well then a Landslide from an Old Mining Tailings Heap on his property behind his Brewery busted through The Back wall The Roller Door & wiped him out.
Because of The Torrential Rains at The Time Bottles of Beer were found down his Street for Days after.
We had to clean all The Silt & mess out with a Bobcat before we re-bricked The Wall replaced The Door, Re-plumbed everything & Bingo we were in business again on a smaller Scale.
That's all history now as all my Old Fishing mates have passed on & I've spent many years travelling between Jobs Retirement & of course virtually travelling around The World Fishing
Brian
fredaevans likes this.