The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2014, 11:41 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all
Default Whitetail deer reports?

Anyone having any luck?

I had a misfire in muzzleloader season and saw nothing yesterday with a bow.

I have been seeing deer all over in the fields--it looks like the hormone levels are what you find at a junior high dance.

I should have gone out with my .22 instead of the bow. Squirrels were numerous.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whitetail deer reports?

I had a nice four point walk across the front yard about 20 minutes ago, he was going to fast to get the camera out for a photo, but he sure looked healthy. I don't hunt anymore, but everyone in down was complaining about the warm wx and poor hunting conditions up until this recent snow and cold hit, the hunting should be going strong now. I was talking to a guy at the gym a couple days ago and he said he went out elk hunting, in town it was minus 5 degrees, but when he got out to Soda lake his truck said it was minus 23, so he cancelled that trip, I can't blame him, too cold for me.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:01 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I live in mule deer country, there has been a big group of about 16 milling about for the past week or so. A few small bucks, the rut is definitely on here.

I've been out once, last weekend just prior to the big weather event. Saw a few tails disappear into the woods, no shots.

100 head of elk came down out of the mountains with the deep freeze that settled in a on Tuesday, and are hanging around the highway on my way to work.

I was strongly considering playing hookey today to hunt the fresh snow but I woke up with sore throat and didn't want to put myself out of commission for the entire weekend. Might need a day off next week. I'm getting really itchy for buck!
Old 11-14-2014, 01:16 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

We must have a good mast crop this year
What's left of my garden (beets,carrots,chard) is still intact
Last year at this time they had mowed through everything in the yard that was still green
Old 11-14-2014, 11:23 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

I should have mentioned it, but I have been told there is a big-bodied buck showing up on some property we own south of town. His tines are short, but a bulky deer.

I suspect it might be one I saw last winter in the antlerless season. I saw a big deer, but branches kept me from seeing his head.

I'm the type of deer hunter, though, that gets more excited about tender backstraps than I do antlers. A big buck would be cool, though.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:51 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
......I'm the type of deer hunter, though, that gets more excited about tender backstraps than I do antlers. A big buck would be cool, though.
I attended a BBQ this summer and enjoyed probably the best venison I have ever eaten. I asked if he had any cooking secrets. He smiled and says "nah, we just shoot the little ones"

BTW, the deer crop seems much improved in Iowa this year. It was way below average last year.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:09 AM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Welp, bow season has been on since Oct. 1st and essentially runs through Jan. 1st. Gun deer starts Nov. 15th (tomorrow) and frankly, this year for a few reasons (losing my dogs mostly) I just don't think I have the heart.

Maybe next year, though truth be told I keep getting this nagging feeling that I've killed my share....and besides, the cold gets me now, I can't sit still for hours like I used to, health issues are creeping up on me, and frankly the idea of dragging a deer out of places I used to hunt sounds like a recipe for a heart attack.

On the bright side though, there are all those hunting widows left around here.....On the other hand though, I have a feeling that's a sure fire way to make my wife a widow....BY HER HAND.

So I think I'll just kill a beer and yap about "the good old days" ultimately saying the classic......"Next year".

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:30 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

A couple friends are fishing the Pere Marquette today for steelies. Probably the best day of the season to fish N Michigan since every guy with an inclination is sitting hungover in woods with a 12 ga. That's not fair, I know there are plenty of serious hunters but I used to spend some time around Baldwin and have seen the "hunt camp" mentality.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:00 PM

Tagged a four pointer this evening.

My buddy had filed his buck rage in muzzleloader season and thought he saw one moving my way. He couldn't tell if it had antlers. I fired not long after and we think it was the same deer.

Veniso for the grill. Bucktail for the tying bench
dean_mt likes this.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:42 PM

Congrats man! I already ate my bowl of tag soup...it sucked. Good for you, any pics of the beast?