The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By darwin
  • 1 Post By dean_mt
  • 1 Post By runningfish
  • 2 Post By Auntie Em
  • 1 Post By dean_mt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2014, 08:45 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up The new 'tower room heater' in my office.

Yes-Yes a mundane topic ... unless you're freezing your cute little butt. Not a large home (how big does someone my age need?) but my office is at the end of the food chain for the gas furnace. To keep the room warm (like now) meant the furnace couldn't just be set at 68, you had to crank it up and keep the fan going.

Lot of dead air being heated there for no reason.

FINALLY brain connects and 'get a GD room heater you Village Idiot! ' Fifty eight bucks and the things a total wizz; again, bless you WallyWorld. You can set what temp you want and just push the button(s) and off she goes. Three minutes and you have to open a window its so hot in the room. Never satisfied, never satisfied.

fae
Old 11-21-2014, 10:39 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The new 'tower room heater' in my office.

They can be very nice for one cold room, just make sure to operate it safely! Too many fires started by space heaters.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:48 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

A stupid question straight from the balcony.

Is it cheaper to go with electric small heaters for individual rooms or the regular house centralize heating? I hate to heat up empty spaces too, especially when we sleep.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:39 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post

Is it cheaper to go with electric small heaters for individual rooms or the regular house centralize heating? I hate to heat up empty spaces too, especially when we sleep.
In a word: Yes. You have to maintain a certain level of heat through out (mines 68) but if there's no one using the space why heat it to 72? That said, some types of heaters (ceramic bars as an example) are far more efficient that the open wire kind. Those are the ones that can be damned dangerous if improperly used.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:56 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post

It depends on your central heating source and the cost of it. I use propane, which can get pretty darn expensive. It is far cheaper to use a good electric space heater in specific rooms than to turn the thermostat up to 70.

Fred, my office at work is generally in the 63-64* range, pretty cold considering I'm just sitting on my @ss at a computer when I'm in it. We have one of those tower heaters and I concur, that thing is awesome. It holds the room at nice consistent temp, not those huge temp swings.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:10 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

thanks guys.
I think I have a ceramic heater that I can use. I am going to buy a Costco humidifier also for the little boy's room since it gets pretty dry here during the colder months.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:55 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Fred, do you have handles/levers on your vent flues down near the furnace? I have three different ones I can open/close/part way to direct the air flow throughout the house. Works well all winter for heat, and all summer for air conditioner. We keep the winter heat at 63* and it's really pretty uniform. (AC at 76* and it too works well). The only heater I have (auxiliary) is right at my feet in the basement while I'm building fly rods. Forms a little pod of warmth around me ... with no heat directed down there from the furnace. Kansas isn't the warmest place in the world during the winter ... nor coolest in summer.
fredaevans and troutnut4 like this.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:31 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I think Costco has the "Vornado" room heater. They are silent and move a good amount of air somehow without it feeling like a fan, the result is an evenly warm room. That's what I have in my basement tying room, it's good for that because it doesn't blow all the feathers and fuzz everywhere.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:12 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Fred as mentioned any Heaters can be Dangerous as the main Problem is some people tend to run them far too hot without any ventilation then the next thing they nod off & somehow a fire starts then the House burns down & sometimes they escape.
Another thing I've noticed which is a nuisance to be careful of is some people have their Power Cords where they can cause you to Trip.
I know as my mother used to do these things as her house was always like a Furnace & thank heavens The House was never burnt down.
Brian
Old Yesterday, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Fred, do you have handles/levers on your vent flues down near the furnace? I have three different ones I can open/close/part way to direct the air flow throughout the house. Works well all winter for heat, and all summer for air conditioner. We keep the winter heat at 63* and it's really pretty uniform. (AC at 76* and it too works well). The only heater I have (auxiliary) is right at my feet in the basement while I'm building fly rods. Forms a little pod of warmth around me ... with no heat directed down there from the furnace. Kansas isn't the warmest place in the world during the winter ... nor coolest in summer.
Good Morning EM! Good to see you back on the Board.

I leave all the vents fully open but the rooms closest to the furnace (mounted in the front room ceiling of all places) gets the 'blast.' All the rooms have at least 10' ceilings, the 'front room' is valted and close to 20. There are ceiling fans in all main rooms which really helps spread the heat around (heat rises sort of thing). I've found that adjusting the vent opening has little impact vis a vis heating but really restricts the AC during the Summer. Add to that, standing on a step ladder when you have Parkinson's Disease is a 'Don't go there.' (Your balance is really screwed up!)

Anyway the current crop of tower heaters are far improved from the early designs. Set the room heat you want and just turn it on; thing takes it from there as to 'on-off.'

Fred