The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 2 Post By honyuk96
  • 3 Post By fredaevans
  • 3 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is there a University foot ball team NOT in some 'bowl game?'

Read the following and must go to Walmart and buy/rent some movies .....

39 bowl games and a reason to watch every one
jaybo41 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

honyuk96 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is there a University foot ball team NOT in some 'bowl game?'

Ha ha ha, Fred, it's HOCKEY season.
jaybo41 and repperson29 like this.
Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Is there a University foot ball team NOT in some 'bowl game?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by honyuk96 View Post
Ha ha ha, Fred, it's HOCKEY season.
RIGHT ON! As a kid I was the Goalie and we didn't have heavy padding save for your coat. Those 'pucks' could really (four letter word) hurt.
mcnerney, jaybo41 and honyuk96 like this.
Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the days of the old bowl games and when they actually MEANT something. Now all these sponsors + the name of the bowl game make it uninteresting and hard to keep up with. Names like Johnson & Johnson Q-Tip Bowl, Cottonelle Fresh Mates Bowl do absolutely nothing for me. Then again I don't play and not like I care much for college ball these days. Much like pro ball, way over produced to suit me.

Hockey season it is, and while I like the NHL, the best hockey on the tube, it is NCAA hockey.
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

Many years back and top end corporate clients and I were at a University of Washington foot ball game. I was at the bottom end of the 'food chain.' To say weather was misarble would be the understatement for the day. I was dressed in full on winter Steelhead fishing gear (well, no rod). I got 'You have to be kidding looks.'

One of the Visitors son's tucked in side my rain coat, face sticking out. He was kept warm and dry. "We're rooting for the Huskies, is that right!' Didn't know this, and couldn't have cared less. He was the Grand Child of the Chairman of the Board of the largest group of Savings and Loans in Central America. Couple of days later I was a Vice President.

He and I sat on the banks of several rivers just talking about 'business.' "This is a very good Dog, but where do you think interest rates are going to be in the next year?"

Ard, his name was Ard.
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

My info may be out of date slightly (stopped watching college ball seriously several years ago) but there's about 340 D-1 schools, with 78 teams represented in this year's bowl season, that leaves around 262 teams not invited to the dance.

So, if you don't like college football, well, it could be worse; it could be like basketball where half the teams get in. Then we'd have really silly names for bowls, like the "Charmin Swirlie Bowl," or whatever.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

I LOVE this time of year!!
For so many of these kids, with no real possibility of a future in the NFL, this is the penultimate game of their year. Their very last chance to step on a football field, a game they've been playing since they were maybe ten years old, and now this is the end.
For others on the bubble maybe their last chance to catch the eye of the pros.
I LOVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!
Old Today, 04:47 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

I LOVE college football.

I was in Miami for one year. The level of dedication and time thats required of a college football player/student is admirable. Luckily, us baseball players are slackers.....times have changed though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF5Lglrd26g

Nothing like 100k+ students going crazy at kickoff. I have been to packed houses at Auburn, Miami, ND and Tallanasty.......I still get goosebumps just thinking about it.
Old Today, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
I LOVE college football.

I was in Miami for one year. The level of dedication and time thats required of a college football player/student is admirable. Luckily, us baseball players are slackers.....times have changed though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF5Lglrd26g

Nothing like 100k+ students going crazy at kickoff. I have been to packed houses at Auburn, Miami, ND and Tallanasty.......I still get goosebumps just thinking about it.
Don't know about those teams, but 'in my day' the Washington Huskies were one click short of being .... what? ... a team that could have competed in the NFL? Average weight of the Defensive team was close to 300 pounds, and probably not a drop of fat. Offensive was 250-275.

Opening kick off against Stanford, 'kicker' just 'squibbed the ball' the required 10 yards. Whistle-Whistles-Whistles and 'What are you doing??!!' Reported in the paper a couple days later: 'We like to play with our food.'

That answer got Husker's a 15 yard penalty and a re-kick.
Old Today, 02:18 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with the sentiment that it's hockey season, and has been since October when they started training camp

I haven't followed college football closely ever, it may be because I or no one I know has a dog in the race (I have a cousin that went to PSU, that's about it) so how could I root for one college over the other.

At the end of the day, they all want your money for themselves.

Ryan