The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 08:44 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Winter Doldrums: So I Spent Some Money!

I've spent the past 2 weeks engrossed in this forum; I joined the fly swap and read the posts. Everybody's talking about this rod and that reel and this line and those flies. I couldn't take it anymore! So I bought a new outfit today! Listening to GeorgeMcFly talk about his new purchases pushed me over the top. Joni and her rod talk didn't help either! I ended up with a Sage Fli 9' 5wt 4 piece rod. I put an Orvis mid-arbor titanium reel on it with an Orvis 5 wt DT floating line. THEN I got a second spool and loaded it up with some Orvis 6WF sink tip line 'cause you never know when you'll need to run those soft hackles a little deeper in the water column. Now I can't WAIT to get those wet flies through our fly swap!!........ Anybody ready to go FISHING!?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:45 PM

Yukon Jack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Winter Doldrums: So I Spent Some Money!

Greenwood,

It sounds like you were suffering from a sever case on "Newgearitis" it is not uncommon to catch it around this time of year. After battling cabin fever and spring fever for months, The only cure for it is to do just what you did "buy some new gear".

I have had Newgearitis for a couple months now myself, Mine seems to flair up about every two weeks, a day or two after payday.

My doctor told me once you have it you will most likely have it for the rest of your life

Yukon Jack
Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

So right you are ......and I have the fly rods, muzzleloaders, rifles, pistols and reloading equipment to further verify that! Not counting the fly tying stuff and my darkroom equipment! In fact, it was by ebaying some of my camera equipment that I whipped together the cash for this purchase! I think Monday or Tuesday ought to see the water drop down low enough to do some fishing. HA! FYI, I just spent the past hour and a half reading the Supreme Court transcripts from the 2nd Amendment case today! For the most part it was uplifting!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:04 PM

Yukon Jack;
In an unrelated note, I'm really looking forward to seeing/fishing that caddis soft hackle you tied for the wet fly swap. I've had some awesome days fishing the Little Juniata River here in PA when the tan caddis were out and about. I think they were doing the egg laying routine but I usually hammered them best by fishing a soft hackle on the drift with a little rise at the end.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:58 PM

Yukon Jack is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to getting the flies myself. I hope you enjoy the caddis I tied up. Try fishing it up a little and across stream letting it sink, and then let it swing across to the end of the drift you can even strip it back like a streamer.

Yukon Jack