The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2015, 11:16 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Guy who drives the garbage truck. Friday pick up.

Another of my odd postings, but this guy is amazing. Home is just before the end of a dead end street, huge piece of equipment, Guy can swap directions (180) in 45 seconds. I can't even do that in an empty parking lot.

bigjim5589 and mcnerney like this.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:38 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Guy who drives the garbage truck. Friday pick up.

Hi Fred, when I was in Korea I rode up front in a large passenger bus (think Grey Hound) to the airport driven by this little Korean lady wearing white gloves. She blasted through a toll gate on the freeway with just inches to spare on each side. She slowed down to about 45mph but she just barely squeezed that bus through. She just smiled at me when I braced myself. Scared the bejeesus out of me but she definitely knew what she was doing.
bigjim5589 and fredaevans like this.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:30 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Years of experience Fred! Wish you could ride along with me in the tractor trailer I drive. I guess it's close to 60' long. Some of the places I got to get into & back out will make you think it's impossible. Yet, we get it done.
fredaevans likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-24-2015, 10:33 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

You thinking about a second career Fred ?

Open road, couple of dogs and a big rig ? Sounds like a good fit to me
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:42 AM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Years of experience Fred! Wish you could ride along with me in the tractor trailer I drive. I guess it's close to 60' long. Some of the places I got to get into & back out will make you think it's impossible. Yet, we get it done.
Wish I had a buck for every truck mirror my military repair shop has replaced due to kids who don't drive at your skill level Jim. And we have a local Menard's lumber yard that was designed by a moron. I sometimes spend a few minutes just observing the commercial drivers get it done. I usually have to get out of my truck twice to hook up the boat.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:39 PM

gramps50 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Takes many hours of watching training films like "Smokey & the Bandit" to be able to put a big truck in the tight spots or go places where a big truck has never gone before.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:51 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Gramps, that series of movies & "Convoy" likely generated as much interest in truck driving as a "River Runs Through It" did in fly fishing!

Trouter, I actually studied Architecture in college. I designed a shopping mall one time & had the receiving area set up so trucks could get in there easily & not interfere with other mall traffic. When I explained my intention to my teacher, I was told that wasn't my problem to care about the trucks. He said I should be more concerned about the use of space for generating a return on the dollars spent. Wasted space is wasted dollars. That's what an Architects client is paying for! Of course, that was long before I ever considered driving a truck.

Trucks transport & deliver most things we buy, but little consideration is given in building designs for getting them into & away from such buildings.

Where I work, (Domino's Pizza) we have many stores that open, are approved for the location & no attention is given to how we have to get to the store or park the truck for making deliveries. That's the last thing anyone would care about, except of course us truck drivers.

BTW, not everyone who drives a truck is a good driver either! The scrapes & dents & busted fenders on our trucks are proof of that!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-24-2015, 02:22 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
You thinking about a second career Fred ?

Open road, couple of dogs and a big rig ? Sounds like a good fit to me
Not quite a 'big rig,' but do have a motor home, with the Jeep hanging off the end we're a tad over/under 60 foot long. Best thing going (when going) is the rear view back up tv camera. Amazing what you see 'stupid people' do as you glance up at the screen.

I'm putting along at 55-60 in the 'slow lane,' folks will come screaming up behind me doing (good guess) 70 flashing their lights/blowing horn. Two lane road I'll turn my blinker on, find a wide spot to pull over/let them pass. Many do a quick 'toot-toot' as they pass; they know exactly what I'm doing. A few are blasting their horn.

With only one exception that I can think of, all the 'big box' driver's I've shared a road have been exceptionally cautious when behind the wheel.
bigjim5589 and eastfly66 like this.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:44 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
..Trouter, I actually studied Architecture in college. I designed a shopping mall one time & had the receiving area set up so trucks could get in there easily & not interfere with other mall traffic. When I explained my intention to my teacher, I was told that wasn't my problem to care about the trucks. He said I should be more concerned about the use of space for generating a return on the dollars spent. Wasted space is wasted dollars. That's what an Architects client is paying for! Of course, that was long before I ever considered driving a truck.

Trucks transport & deliver most things we buy, but little consideration is given in building designs for getting them into & away from such buildings.

Where I work, (Domino's Pizza) we have many stores that open, are approved for the location & no attention is given to how we have to get to the store or park the truck for making deliveries. That's the last thing anyone would care about, except of course us truck drivers.

BTW, not everyone who drives a truck is a good driver either! The scrapes & dents & busted fenders on our trucks are proof of that!
That is what happens when suits with no practical experience start believing they know everything. I am college educated as well, but have been a hands on guy whenever I can get away with it. Here is my favorite Engineer story, briefly as possible.....

My shop is near an arsenal where military equipment is designed. We are often asked to test install and give feedback before new products are fielded. A few years ago a team was designing a swinging spare tire rack for the back of a welding trailer. I put a very talented mechanic-welder on the job. He completed the install and I overhear the conversation....

Mechanic- "Nice design with tight tolerances, but you made it from non-coated common iron and it is going to rust solid sitting outside in the motorpool and it will only take about a month to happen". I'm not going to be happy if I am doing an emergency repair in combat while I am being shot at and I can't get the spare tire out of the way so I can access the welder".

Engineer- "I was instructed to keep the costs down, we can't use stainless or anything corrosive resistant".

Mechanic- "OK, then I suggest a couple grease zerks be installed, and the instructions should indicate it be greased during quarterly maintenance".

Engineer- "We can be going over cost, and I'm not actually sure what a grease zerk is. Are they expensive?"

Mechanic looks at me and I tell him to "hook him up because you know who will suffer in the end". I had to walk away now to not be rude. A couple holes are drilled, pipe tap, zerks installed and all is good in 10 minutes. Engineer is still balking about the increased costs so we give him a box of 500 grease zerks and send him on his way to draw a new blueprint with the NASA design improvement. Common sense is not a college course unfortunately
bigjim5589 and fredaevans like this.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Common sense is not a college course unfortunately
Amen to that!

It's not very common these days among the rest of the population either from what I've seen!
fredaevans likes this.