The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2015, 09:15 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default Check out my new pet deer.

We had a heavy snow last week end. I noticed a ton of deer tracks in my back yard the next few days after this pic was taken.

Click the image to open in full size.

I've seen this young doe hanging out in the back yard for a couple days. She hides in my trees. I only have one acre and I planted every tree on the property to attract wildlife. They torment me by destroying young trees as repayment but I still love to watch them. Deer come and go but she was staying close by and hiding in the white pines.

She spent a full half hour picking bird seed from the dirt. A very meager meal for a larger animal.

She let me get incredibly close to her. She is not overly afraid of me. After a long time she walked off, and I saw she was nursing a sore left rear leg. Don't think it's broken as she does put some weight on it and I see nothing more than abrasions, but I am not a vet. I am guessing she is hiding from the coyotes that live across the highway in the real woods. She is very hungry.

Took her out some carrots and dog food because that seemed like it would be better than bird seed. I'm not against hunting but I am not going to put her down unless it becomes the humane thing to do. Just thought I would share some winter pics. If she hangs around I will go buy some more appropriate food in a few days.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:02 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Check out my new pet deer.

I'm a big softy , I'd be out building that cute thing a deer bed and littering it with food to lure in to a warm cozy spot.

When I was younger I was a hunter, but now that I'm older I can't even imagine doing that again. I know feeding a providing for this deer doesn't teach it how to be a wild animal but dang it's cute

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-13-2015, 10:17 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

If my kid was home the deer would be on the three season porch by the woodstove and probably chewing the cork off my flyrods lol. It's supposed to be below zero tomorrow so I don't figure giving her something better to eat than the tablespoon of birdseed she spent a full half hour foraging is harmful. I'll run her off when she can trot enough to save herself.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:57 PM

siege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond repute

I hope she's fine and just needs a little more to eat. I appreciate your reluctance to put her down if that becomes necessary. I would add a caution...and you may have already thought of it.
If you're considering doing the job yourself, it would entail killing a deer out of season, and without a tag. Your local wildlife agent may be the person to take on the final goodbyegoodbye for you.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
I hope she's fine and just needs a little more to eat. I appreciate your reluctance to put her down if that becomes necessary. I would add a caution...and you may have already thought of it.
If you're considering doing the job yourself, it would entail killing a deer out of season, and without a tag. Your local wildlife agent may be the person to take on the final goodbyegoodbye for you.
Thanks. Local game officers attend fly club events so it would be easy to get him here. Until recently our deer population was excessive and they get a lot of this. I bet she is gone in a day or two anyway. She is wandering farther now. She needs to make some new youngins or our world class whitetail hunting is going to suffer for a few more years. I used to frequently see up to a dozen huntable deer in the yard at one time. Now it's just a few yearlings now and then. Most hunters had a bad year. I am the only one with a yard full of conifers and some tall grasses they like to hide in, so I can usually get a solid local game count.
mcnerney and siege like this.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you...lovely animal
mcnerney and ia_trouter like this.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:40 AM

lv2nymph is a splendid one to beholdlv2nymph is a splendid one to beholdlv2nymph is a splendid one to beholdlv2nymph is a splendid one to beholdlv2nymph is a splendid one to beholdlv2nymph is a splendid one to behold

That's really cool, it's nice to get a close up look at wildlife. Unless her entire family group has gone or been killed she'll head out on her own in good time. Enjoy the experience while it lasts...
Old 02-15-2015, 09:02 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dewayne: Great photos of that deer, thanks for sharing! We get deer and moose passing through our yard, but the neighbor has all the trees so they like to hide under his trees. We have a few trees, but nothing like he does.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:08 AM

Built my house on a lot bulldozed of every tree. Most of the trees in the pic came home from northern Minnesota in coffee cups or icecream buckets as seedlings from northern MN (lodge owners ditches) in the late 90s. It was a story of perseverance as I am sure I transplanted 300 trees over the years. Deer would destroy them every winter. I had no idea aspen/poplar/popple is one of their preferred winter foods and I lost perhaps 50 (saved one). Wire cages around the white pines every winter was a huge hassle. I have to thin the trees some more while I still can. But I won lol. Here's some of my front yard. Mostly white, Norway and blue spruce, balsam fir. A Serbian and an Austrian variety too. A little bit of the Northwoods in Iowa. Thanks for viewing. Maybe you collect fly reels. I collect conifers.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:45 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dewayne: All that effort certainly paid off, I love the look that those trees provide to your property.