The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2015, 08:42 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice
Default Art project: an LED "fly"

Been mulling on an idea for a friend in the art department at a local community college. They occasionally will do light sculptures in the reflecting pond at their school during the evening. One variation on this idea is to have small lighted flies that could rollcasted, backcasted, etc. as a performance. Perhaps long-exposure photos would provide some interesting views as well.
To do this, we need to find really small and lightweight LED+battery combos to serve as the "fly". (I don't think a chemical glow stick will be bright enough.) it only has to last a few hours, but it has to continue functioning when it hits the water.
Any suggestions?
mcnerney, dean_mt, ted4887 and 2 others like this.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:11 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Art project: an LED "fly"

Nice idea. I don't think you are going to find exactly what you are looking for, I mean what would the purpose of a tiny, battery powered, and waterproof single LED be? I mean aside from an art performance? I'm not being negative, I've spent time in art school and work with artists as my living...this is what we do - solve very unique problems so that a vision can become reality.

You and your friend are going to have to get really creative to make this happen. One thought though, since you will casting the diode, they do not need to be powered by a tiny battery. If you could figure out how to wire a single LED and then integrate the power wire to a fly line you could cast the whole thing, you'd just need a power source on the opposite end. Clear silicone would waterproof the connection well enough.

Let us know if your idea goes anywhere.

Good luck!
mridenour likes this.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:19 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

why not use some UV based painted foam tied to hooksor the end of a line.
Charge the paint with a uv light then cast away.
It will require multiple flies and perhaps a change or two if the paint becomes bleached.

Additionally a UV light in the pool will keep the flies visible when they are on the water.

Addicted To Vise
Old 03-10-2015, 10:23 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if glow in the dark flies would be bright enough to offer the visual effect you are looking for. Several years ago I bought a few (dougswisher.com), but have never tried them out, so I have no idea how bright the get. If that sounds like something you would like to try pm me your address and I will send you a couple to play with.

The other day I saw a full scale sailboat effect in a harbor, all done with lights. It was a pretty interesting visual, I will try to find where I saw that.
yikes likes this.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:31 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

This sounds like a nifty little project. This is the only thing that I found that might a possibility for the LED solution. It wouldn't be waterproof, but perhaps you could use silicone or something else to help extend its life a bit.

Mini LED Bulbs String Lights Bulbs for Balloons Lantern Decor Batteries Operated | eBay

I'd be interested to see what happens with this project and what solution you find. Could make for sure really interesting photos.
yikes likes this.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:12 AM

ten_fiver will become famous soon enoughten_fiver will become famous soon enough

I'd go with glow in the dark material. If you hit it with a uv light they glow much brighter and longer
grtlksmarlin and yikes like this.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:42 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

I'm guessing that an LED plus a watch battery inside of a small clear bobber would weigh about as much as a large streamer with a couple of split shot. I need to find the right bobber and battery clip.

I might just experiment with an LED submersible tea candle. It's big and clunky, but I could practice with it on a heavy rod and see how it performs. I just need to be careful not to hit the rod, myself, or other people!

White Submersible LED Light
Old 03-11-2015, 08:00 AM

siege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond repute

I have a LED flashlight on my keyring. It's about the size of a quarter, and you squeeze it to have it light. It was an advertising "gimmie", but probably available at a locksmith/key shops.
It would be easy enough to wire it to stay on. I agree on a bit of silicone seal to water proof.
There are also novelty pins, badges, and even greeting cards with flashing LEDs, and clip on lights for bike riders.
Good luck, sounds like fun
yikes likes this.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:19 PM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_fiver View Post
I'd go with glow in the dark material. If you hit it with a uv light they glow much brighter and longer
That is actually the ticket...Check out the UV fly tying material thread that was recently bumped. You would even with the right fly line (I'm betting Cortland's orange trout boss) discover that it lights up as well.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 PM

booone0 is on a distinguished road

Thill light?

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Thill...FXQQ7Aod82EAUg

Some use these to make DIY lighted nocks for hunting arrows. Can't immediately find a weight, but they're small enough to fit down a carbon arrow shaft.

You could stick that in a thin and light clear tube, seal up the ends, and attach to a leader. Thoughts?

You could also search for the smallest hearing aid or watch batteries and come up with something similarly compact. Since you won't need much longevity, you might be able to get away with not using a resistor, depending on your choice of components.