The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 06:05 AM

wolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the rough
Default The most stupid thing you saw last week?

I was driving along the other day and from patrol habit, watching everything going on around me (For some reason, you never seem to get over that) and was watching the incredibly stupid things people do from putting on makeup in the rear view, to letting kids ride in the back of pick ups with the tailgate down to riding on the hood or top of the car.

Well, you've probably seen the stupid people warning labels "Not for Highway Use". Well, down the road came a pick up full of lawn care workers in the back and TOWING one of those little home cement mixers with the little yard wheels tied with piece of rope whizzing along at 45 mph! I turned off, so I don't know how far they got before that mixer went careering off across the sidewalk.

They also flipped a truck full or yard workers across the street from me three days ago, killed 1 injured 3.

What's the most stupid thing you've seen this week?
mcnerney, wjl and GrtLksMarlin like this.
Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: The most stupid thing you saw last week?

Mine would also be highway related (this week)... driving to work and the car ahead of me kept creeping onto the shoulder, then they would get back out onto the road (this is plus-70 MPH). Didn't want any part of that so as I am passing her I can see that she has a book stretched across her steering wheel. Reading on the highway in rush hour traffic? Yeah, I would call that stupid with expletives!
mcnerney, busbus and wjl like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

ditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of light

I get mad almost every time I get out on the road at all the stupid stuff I see. Texting or reading or putting on makeup while driving is a regular activity. It is absolutely amazing that there are not more people killed than there are. People turning right with a left turn signal on. Turning right out of the left turn lane. Any passenger in the bed of a pickup is stupid whether the tail gate is up or down. Passing on a blind curve and double yellow line. I see that almost every day on my bike rides. I no longer ride on the berm because some drivers will pass you on narrow roads while staying in your lane so any slight bobble on either mine or their part can result in disaster. I now take about 1/3 of the lane so I have a little room for error and bailout room. It is rude but it is for self preservation.
mcnerney likes this.
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

mridenour is just really nicemridenour is just really nicemridenour is just really nicemridenour is just really nice

I saw someone tailgating a Missouri Highway Patrol car...for a while.
mcnerney, busbus and ia_trouter like this.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of

CELL phones and book reading while driving is a seriously dangerous practice.

On a lighter note I will nominate myself. The hoarding tendencies caught up to me. My garage and utility shed were ridiculous. Floor strewn with disassembled projects, boating gear, stuff that just didn't need to be saved. I decided to mend my ways and clean up last week and it wasn't a single day project. Within 30 minutes I had tripped over a floor jack and bloodied my right knee like an eight year old boy. Day two I stepped on a drill and rolled my left ankle pretty bad. I looked like a big dummy hobbling around for days finishing the clean up. I did earn $63 at the scrap metal yard and found some stuff I've been looking for a long time. Is there an anti-hoarding treatment group I can join so this doesn't happen again?
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me for this, but what I see is very common and not given much thought. I wouldn't categorize it as "stupd," but as an adult not realizing the harm they are doing.

It is a person/parent/adult smoking in a car while driving with children. Second hand smoke in a car is concentrated, and I see it all the time with windows up during cold weather.

So if you smoke, please don't do it while there are kids in the car.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

wjl will become famous soon enough
Question Re: The most stupid thing you saw last week?

Not last week but this Tuesday and Thursday.
Tuesday I went up to fish and there was lighting and thunder. Me I know waving a graphite rod while standing in the water is NOT a smart idea but as I am leaving and driving home others are fishing or stringing up and heading into the river.
Thursday the same thing at the river but as I drive around the lake to get home a group of people are heading out to do some paddle boarding and kayaking (about 15 to 20) with lighting about 300 yards away
mcnerney likes this.
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

GrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to all

Well, two things;

1. Last night having noticed a couple months ago that the new puppy had chewed up my headphones wire on the PC, had daily reminded myself to wrap that section up with tape.....SO naturally with the cover off of the PC, my new one by the by, I go to lift the wire out of the way from the dogs fighting next to it and the wire touched something inside....*ZAP* dead PC, won't even post or go to bios.

2. Having just recently returned from a week in the hospital having put it off so long I at best had a couple weeks left my lungs so congested, I looked in the mirror as I sucked down the Advair, then the Spiriva, then the Albuterol inhalers, then popped down a pseudoephedrine, and then lit a cigarette.

Stupid is as stupid does.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM

jpgodf will become famous soon enoughjpgodf will become famous soon enough

It was probably me, trying to do an overhead cast.

JP
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

wolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I saw someone tailgating a Missouri Highway Patrol car...for a while.
I have a great photo of a sheriff's deputy tailgating a school bus, 15' off the bumper at 60 mph.

I asked the High Sheriff's secretary if they wanted to photo so they could stop the practice of this deputy tailgating everyone and they said they weren't interested.