The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree211Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 05:02 PM

jpgodf will become famous soon enoughjpgodf will become famous soon enough
Default Pond Scum

It used to be that you'd see a lot of guys fishing for trophy salmon or trout in Alaska. In the old days, a trophy fisher would take the whole fish to a taxidermist to have his 'trophy' turned into a monument to his manhood. Apparently the good part of the fish (that you could eat) was thrown away and the skin was used to make the 'trophy mount'. I remember that my subsistence buddies thought that was veritably sinful. In recent years you could catch a trophy fish and photograph it. The Taxidermist could make a mold and facsimile that you can hang on your wall and brag to your buddies.

Too bad that's not true for 'trophy hunters". The recent torture and killing of the lion in Zimbabwe by the heroic dentist from Minnesota illustrates that big game trophy hunting still requires all the barbaric methods that originated by the privileged a..holes of the colonial powers centuries ago.
I remember being out with Yupik friends on snowmachines in 1969. We came across the carcass of a large bull moose lying near a lake on the tundra. The entire head was gone and the rest of the moose, hundreds of pounds of prime meat was rotted.

I've always been a gun owner and hunter. The Yupiks and folks like them all over the world use every bit of the animal. It's subsistence.

Today I saw photos of that dentist he-man from his facebook. He looked so proud and happy with his murdered 'trophies'.

I'd like to have ten minutes with him with a Louisville slugger in my hands. That's better chances for him than he ever gave his prey.

JP
Old 07-29-2015, 05:51 PM

stenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant future
Default Re: Pond Scum

Yeah, I saw that story this morning... pretty disturbing.

Even worse, this guy has at least one other conviction for poaching, with many other kills that are classified as highly suspicious.

As a sportsman, nothing gets under my skin like poachers. Pond scum indeed.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 07-29-2015, 06:26 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Lots of folks are pissed about this one.
Two Zimbabweans granted bail in death of Cecil the lion - CNN.com

Justice for Cecil the iconic collared lion slaughtered by trophy hunter in Zimbabwe!

Just because you can doesn't mean you should!
Old 07-29-2015, 06:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I agree, I heard about this on the news this morning, its pretty disgusting!

Old 07-29-2015, 06:50 PM

scotty macfly is a jewel in the roughscotty macfly is a jewel in the roughscotty macfly is a jewel in the rough

I am not a hunter, but I am not against hunting if done honestly and for the right reasons. Poachers of any kind get no respect from me.

I have not seen the article on this dentist, but it sounds like I may not want to. Torturing an animal before killing it is no sport and there is no honor in it.

I saw a hunting show where a son of a celebrity was bear hunting. He and the camera man were in a blind and they set out bait. A bear did arrive and walked up to the blind. You could tell it knew something wasn't right. The kid was scared and the bear could have easily attacked but chose not to. The bear turned and went for the bait instead looking at the blind every now and then. Then the kid shoots the bear and brags about what a great kill it was and acting like it was a monumental achievement. It made me sick to my stomach. It seemed to me the bear spared the kids life. Same respect I feel should have been given to the bear. I guess what really got me was the way this kid was carrying on about it.

As for this dentist, throw him in a pit with a lion with no weapons, then we will see who is smiling last, or licking it's chops.

Eye for an eye, and tooth for a tooth. Or should I say fangs?
Old 07-29-2015, 08:03 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Pond Scum

Walter James Palmer, Killer of Cecil The Lion, Has Felony Record For Killing Bear
Old 07-29-2015, 08:29 PM

dragon11 is on a distinguished road

I'll be honest, I heard about this, and for the life of me I just don't know what to say. It absolutely makes me sick to my stomach. I mean, I get mad when I'm out somewhere and I'll see someone catch a blue gill. And instead of releasing it gently back into the water they chuck it back into the lake. That's a big deal to me, and then this guy goes and does what he does. Unbelievable, unbelievable!
Old 07-29-2015, 09:15 PM

tcorfey is a jewel in the roughtcorfey is a jewel in the roughtcorfey is a jewel in the rough

This guy knew what he was doing was illegal. He had been convicted and fined for doing this to a bear. In both cases he and his cohorts lured the animal out of a sanctuary and then killed it. I'll bet several other of his so called "trophy's" were killed in the same manner. This guy is no hunter, he has no ethics and no conscience. But he does have lots of money. I hope they can at least fine him a substantial sum after he was slapped on the wrist for the bear, and he went back and did it again so his second fine should hopefully be substantially higher. Maybe instead of $3,500 it should be $3,500,000. He would think twice about doing this again with a fine that large.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:39 PM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
...Maybe instead of $3,500 it should be $3,500,000. He would think twice about doing this again with a fine that large.
Wow, nowhere near enough punishment. I've seen fines larger than that for a one day haul of stocker trout, or a dozen extra walleye in many places. Legitimate hunters pay much more for a guided big game hunt.

And torturing an animal is not just poaching, it is a serious crime IMO. I don't care if it's a nuisance animal I am not terribly fond of. I do believe this is the mindset a serial killer possesses. Better stop, blood pressure is rising.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:04 PM

ezduzit has a spectacular aura aboutezduzit has a spectacular aura aboutezduzit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgodf View Post
...you could catch a trophy fish and photograph it. The Taxidermist could make a mold and facsimile...
Actually I would not treasure this any more than any piece of Tupperware purchased at K-Mart.
trs and GrtLksMarlin like this.