The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 02:03 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default My Uncle and Hiroshima

My uncle on my motherís side, Mitsuaki Noda, lived near Hiroshima, Japan 70 years ago on August 6, 1945. He had missed getting up for school and was in the bath tub at 8:15 when Little Boy exploded over the city. He remembered a bright light and then the boom as the sonic blast wave hit.

The Japanese did not have a name for the kind of bomb that was dropped. So they called it Pika-don. Pika in Japanese means a bright flash of light and Don for the sound that it made.

https://1945neveragain.wordpress.com/pikadon/

He walked toward Hiroshima to see that had happened and he saw the destruction. With the help of our family, he later immigrated to the USA and volunteered for the US Army so he could attend college on the GI Bill. He fought in Korea.

The ironic part of being bombed in Hiroshima and the later part of his life was that after he served in the US Army, he got his undergraduate degree and masters degree in electrical engineering and worked both for NASA at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena and in the defense industry at Hughes Aircraft.

During the cold war with the USSR, when we were burying our ICBMs at great expense, Mitusaki remembered that the only things left standing were telephone poles and smoke stacks. The blast wave went around the curved shapes without knocking them down. He suggested that hardened above ground round silos be built with only the crew quarters under ground to save money on protecting the ICBMs from a first strike.

After the atomic blast | The Wider Image | Reuters

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-05-2015, 02:12 PM

jpgodf will become famous soon enoughjpgodf will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My Uncle and Hiroshima

Thank you for the story of your uncle. It's amazing that he survived such horrible devastation. So many innocent people died.

JP
Old 08-05-2015, 02:24 PM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of

Thanks for sharing that very interesting and personal family story Henry. I earnestly hope the world can somehow avoid use of a weapon like this for another 70 years.

Can you share the story of what motivated him to immigrate to the US and serve in our military after enduring this?
Old 08-05-2015, 02:30 PM

plecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to behold

On my way home from fishing yesterday I heard a piece on NPR about a (still living) woman named Sueko Hada, who was the only member of her family to survive the bombing of Hiroshima.

Where your uncle became a member of the US Army, her granddaughter married a US Marine.
mcnerney likes this.

--Paul
Old 08-05-2015, 02:38 PM

GrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to behold

A prayer from me for him....

Respectfully,

B.E.Fleenor
mcnerney likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:02 PM

stenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant future

That is one helluva family story Silver. Than you for sharing it.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-05-2015, 03:21 PM

spm is just really nicespm is just really nicespm is just really nicespm is just really nicespm is just really nice

An amazing story, Silver. Thank you for sharing it.

steve
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:09 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Thanks for sharing that very interesting and personal family story Henry. I earnestly hope the world can somehow avoid use of a weapon like this for another 70 years.

Can you share the story of what motivated him to immigrate to the US and serve in our military after enduring this?
In Japan, the estate goes to the oldest son. Mitusaki was not the oldest so there was nothing holding him in Japan. At the time, my mother who was born in the USA, and uncle Takeshi Noda was already in the USA. So he immigrated with my family as a sponsor.

My uncle was very smart and he knew the only way that he could attend college was to join the armed forces and use the GI Bill. I Have never heard him or any of my uncles say a bad word against the USA or about WWWII. I think it is the Japanese way to accept "fate."

Another brother, Uncle Hideo, was in the Japanese Army and was sent to fight Russia. He was captured and spent time in a Russian Siberian POW camp and then returned to Japan. He also immigrated to the USA after Uncle Mitsuaki. My parents also sponsored him.

Uncle "Tak" was the oldest and he inherited the family estate when grandmother Noda died. The family home had been in the Noda family since the 1300's, for 7 centuries when it was passed to my uncle Tak. He sold the property and split the proceeds amongst his brothers and sisters. None of the children were in Japan. All had followed my mother and Tak to the USA.

One of Tak's grandsons is a US Navy aviator and flies off a nuclear carrier. I can't recall which one at the moment. I wish I could remember his call sign.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-05-2015, 04:28 PM

plecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to behold

Great story.

--Paul
Old 08-05-2015, 05:16 PM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
In Japan, the estate goes to the oldest son. Mitusaki was not the oldest so there was nothing holding him in Japan. At the time, my mother who was born in the USA, and uncle Takeshi Noda was already in the USA. So he immigrated with my family as a sponsor.

My uncle was very smart and he knew the only way that he could attend college was to join the armed forces and use the GI Bill. I Have never heard him or any of my uncles say a bad word against the USA or about WWWII. I think it is the Japanese way to accept "fate."

Another brother, Uncle Hideo, was in the Japanese Army and was sent to fight Russia. He was captured and spent time in a Russian Siberian POW camp and then returned to Japan. He also immigrated to the USA after Uncle Mitsuaki. My parents also sponsored him.

Uncle "Tak" was the oldest and he inherited the family estate when grandmother Noda died. The family home had been in the Noda family since the 1300's, for 7 centuries when it was passed to my uncle Tak. He sold the property and split the proceeds amongst his brothers and sisters. None of the children were in Japan. All had followed my mother and Tak to the USA.

One of Tak's grandsons is a US Navy aviator and flies off a nuclear carrier. I can't recall which one at the moment. I wish I could remember his call sign.
You have a family history you can be very proud of Henry. I wish I could trace mine back to the 18th century.
dean_mt likes this.