The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2015, 07:45 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Auto repairs .... What the heck?

Several days back went to drive my 2002 Jeep in the electrical system is dead, like not even dash lights. OK, put a charger on the battery (almost new) and meter is all over the place.

This is not good!

Had the car towed to a good local auto repair place, told them car was coming and what I thought might be the problem. Couple of hours later and 'Mr. Evans this is .... from .... and we've got your car and when we were going to roll into a service bay we had to unlock your steering column and the mechanic turned the key and the engine started right up.'

"Say What????"

Asked to give the electrical system a going over and see if they could find 'a bug.' They ran that thing through every test system they had and 'zero.'

Go figure?

fae
Old 08-27-2015, 08:13 PM

tcorfey is a jewel in the roughtcorfey is a jewel in the roughtcorfey is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Auto repairs .... What the heck?

Sometimes they have a mind of their own Fred.

My current car had the check engine light on for several weeks. Yesterday I was in the car driving to pick something up and got a call from my friend who told me he wants to sell his diesel pickup. I said I will take it and we worked out a deal while I was driving. After I hung up the phone, I noticed the check engine light had gone out and has not come back on since. So is the current car saying "Please don't get rid of me I'll be good."?

Tim
mcnerney, fredaevans and yikes like this.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:32 PM

cab is just really nicecab is just really nicecab is just really nicecab is just really nice

An automobile always runs best with the mechanic behind the wheel.

CAB
Old 08-28-2015, 12:52 AM

nevadanstig has a spectacular aura aboutnevadanstig has a spectacular aura about

Mechanic here.
Fred, im not sure if you mean the meter on the car or charger. Could be a multitude of things causing what happened. If it was the charger, the meter might not be accurate or working properly. If it is indeed accurate and ok, you could have a cell that broke loose in the battery. The battery basically has plates inside, and every so often one will come loose. Causes a short inside which can cause all sorts of weird things to happen. The tow to the shop vould have knocked or shifted the plate back straight, in which it will work again. That would be my best guess.
Tcorfey, I'd be nearly willing to bet money you have an O2 sensor going out. Classic CEL coming on then back off at times.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
trs and kentuckysteve like this.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:50 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post

My current car had the check engine light on for several weeks. Yesterday I was in the car driving to pick something up and got a call from my friend who told me he wants to sell his diesel pickup. I said I will take it and we worked out a deal while I was driving. After I hung up the phone, I noticed the check engine light had gone out and has not come back on since. So is the current car saying "Please don't get rid of me I'll be good."?

Tim
My truck's "check engine" light went off yesterday as well, and right about when I expected it to.
The "on and off" has become a regular thing and I'm come to expect it
Over 100 continuous highway miles... on
A few days normal driving ... off
It's been doing this for just about 3 years now. Doesn't even concern me any more
My mechanic says, "Let me know when you have a real problem"
smilingduck and kentuckysteve like this.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:18 AM

kentuckysteve is on a distinguished road

Fred,

I have seen this same thing happen to a couple ford's and it was an ignition switch problem.I can't say if this is your problem.If your mechanic's could not find anything then more than likely no one else will either.

Cars now have sensors that check everything when you start the vehicle.The computer runs diagnostic tests on all these every time you start the vehicle.If it detects anything that seems to be not within the sensors limits it will turn on the check engine light and also start running a self diagnosis test on the sensors.It will usually set a code in the computer that the mechanic can retrieve with a scanner and give them a general idea which sensor is having a problem...but not always.Sometimes the computer can correct the problem by adjusting the sensor and if it is able to the light will go back off but not until the vehicle performs a number of drive cycles or you disconnect the battery for a short time.You can't just turn the key on and off.It has to be physically driven.The number of drive cycles is different for most manufacturers.

Example is if you do not tighten the gas cap enough when you fill up.It will show a code related to the O2 sensor and turn the check engine light on because it detected a vacume leak in the system.When you tighten the cap correctly the computer will detect the problem solved and eventually turn the light off..Another example is when you usually buy one grade of gas and you switch to a different grade.The O2 sensor will sometimes show the fuel mixture is too rich or lean and a check engine light will pop on.The computer will adjust for this and correct it then eventually turn the light off.But sometimes you get the light that comes on and there are no codes and none of the dealerships or mechanics can explain why.Thats when we would tell the customers...Just keep driving it.It will either get worse or turn itself off.Sometimes i actually think the light itself has a problem.This is why i love the old cars.No computers or sensors.They were simple to work on.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:50 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadanstig View Post
Mechanic here.
Fred, im not sure if you mean the meter on the car or charger. Could be a multitude of things causing what happened. If it was the charger, the meter might not be accurate or working properly. If it is indeed accurate and ok, you could have a cell that broke loose in the battery. The battery basically has plates inside, and every so often one will come loose. Causes a short inside which can cause all sorts of weird things to happen. The tow to the shop vould have knocked or shifted the plate back straight, in which it will work again. That would be my best guess.
Tcorfey, I'd be nearly willing to bet money you have an O2 sensor going out. Classic CEL coming on then back off at times.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

This was exactly my thought; batt's die from (really) only two things: age and its gone 'gloink' inside. Given this battery was about three months old (a 72 month bat) that was my first thought given 'every thing' was "deader than a door nail."

Good thought on the 02 sensor, I'll have that checked out. Given the mileage on the Jeep that could well be true. Off to Google that! THANKS for the head's up!'

Fred

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckysteve View Post
Fred,

I have seen this same thing happen to a couple ford's and it was an ignition switch problem.I can't say if this is your problem.If your mechanic's could not find anything then more than likely no one else will either.

Cars now have sensors that check everything when you start the vehicle.The computer runs diagnostic tests on all these every time you start the vehicle.If it detects anything that seems to be not within the sensors limits it will turn on the check engine light and also start running a self diagnosis test on the sensors.It will usually set a code in the computer that the mechanic can retrieve with a scanner and give them a general idea which sensor is having a problem...but not always.Sometimes the computer can correct the problem by adjusting the sensor and if it is able to the light will go back off but not until the vehicle performs a number of drive cycles or you disconnect the battery for a short time.You can't just turn the key on and off.It has to be physically driven.The number of drive cycles is different for most manufacturers.

Example is if you do not tighten the gas cap enough when you fill up.It will show a code related to the O2 sensor and turn the check engine light on because it detected a vacume leak in the system.When you tighten the cap correctly the computer will detect the problem solved and eventually turn the light off..Another example is when you usually buy one grade of gas and you switch to a different grade.The O2 sensor will sometimes show the fuel mixture is too rich or lean and a check engine light will pop on.The computer will adjust for this and correct it then eventually turn the light off.But sometimes you get the light that comes on and there are no codes and none of the dealerships or mechanics can explain why.Thats when we would tell the customers...Just keep driving it.It will either get worse or turn itself off.Sometimes i actually think the light itself has a problem.This is why i love the old cars.No computers or sensors.They were simple to work on.
Another good call, I'll check the gas cap but I don't think that is an issue. But I'll 'eliminate' it anyway, takes 15 seconds to loosen/screw back in?

And Boy 'O Boy are you ever right about the computers/sensors/etc. Remember back in the day when you had a full tool box and you could fix darned near anything by yourself on a Saturday afternoon?

I didn't have a tool box I had a tool chest! Every teenager in the neighborhood was over borrowing tools. 'Use it and bring it right back!'

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

Just Googled a new 02 sensor, they're 'cheeper than chips' via the internet. Will cost me more to have it installed than the cost of the part.

Fred
kentuckysteve likes this.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:26 AM

kentuckysteve is on a distinguished road

I don't think the gas cap is your problem either.I was just using that as an example to why check engine lights sometimes pop on.I do hope you get your jeep figured out though.Best of luck to you.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:48 AM

mridenour is just really nicemridenour is just really nicemridenour is just really nicemridenour is just really nice

I had a Jeep Liberty and it would have random electrical issues. The dealer would check it out and just reset the ECM. It would be fine for a few months and then get all sorts of bogus warnings or not start.

Fixed the problem by trading it in for a Chevy truck.
ejsell likes this.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
An automobile always runs best with the mechanic behind the wheel.

CAB
Oh yeah! How many times have I heard a noise I just couldn't figure out, I mean a noise that sounds serious and makes you nuts. Take the vehicle to the shop, guy drives it home that night and back next morning, no noise............

As long that the Jeep keeps working Fred you got off easy.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;