The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all gardeners....

Funny how pissy those little birds get huh.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-28-2008, 05:18 PM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

What's your cold zone fysh?

I'm up in the Mtns and we are zone 4a, but we can easily dip down to zone 3.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Low 5 to higher 6, depending on Mother Nature and the year.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

fysh

Do you compost up your way? I compost the organic scraps from the kitchen (the wife isn't to thrilled with it though) and the grass clippings. I got into composting when I lived in VA. It was mostly because I had a 1/2 acre lot and the grass grew so fast getting rid of the clippings was a real chore. Then I discovered composting and all the clippings and some horse manure would go into a pile. The pile would start out being 6-7 ft tall and by mid-week would shrink down to 4 ft. Always amazed me how fast the material would breakdown (hot and humid there in the summer). When you turned the pile with a pitch fork it would really release the steam. Seemed to be really hot. When I lived in Fairbanks, AK I had a compost pile mostly used grass clippings, raked leaves from the yard and kitchen scraps, but due to the colder temps it would take two years to breakdown, but produced some fine compost. Same goes here in Wyoming, I think its primarily because of the cold winters and being so dry in the summer. Hard to maintain the moisture in the pile. I must admit that I don't turn the pile over like I should, but it still produces, just takes a long time.
I had a pretty good garden in Alaska, lived on a 2 acre lot so I had the room, here in Wyoming I live on a much smaller lot so I don't really have the room. I do grow raspberries and some strawberries though.

Larry
Old 05-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Larry,

When did you live in Fairbanks. I lived there from 74 to 98 out on Lackloy Hill.

Frank
Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Larry,
Actually I have not been composting yet, but I am thinking about making a bin to do so.
My father in-law does the same as you with kitchen scraps(Skunks love his scrap pile) and grass, he has a fine garden with some of the best vegies I have ever had.
I hope to get my garden planted this week.

Do you ever get over to western Wyoming to fish?

Old 05-08-2008, 10:37 PM

fin??whatfin?? is on a distinguished road

We have a garden at my house. we grow tomatos, cabbage, potatos, chiles, cucumbers, strawberrys, blueberrys, blackberrys but not on purpose, and lots of apples(i live in washington). we also grow hay but that is foe cows and horses. our neighbor owns a garlic farm.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:35 AM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Yes, Spring has Sprung! My strawberries are in blossom and I've been eating my asparagus for a few weeks now; there's nothing better than asparagus from the garden to the steamer in about 2 minutes!

My onions are in; peas are in and broccoli is planted. Beans will go in next, then tomatoes (regular and cherry), brussels sprouts, cantaloupe, zucchini, cucumbers, cabbage, peppers and maybe something new like eggplant. I've tried sweet corn but it's too much work for all the more room I have; needs a lot of fertilizer and water! I'll just buy it!

I love the planting and the 'eating' - but hate the weeding - Oh well!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Frank

Wow, small world! I lived in Fairbanks from 84-99, up on the north end of Farmers Loop. Did a lot of Grayling fishing on the Chena River. You probably know Howie from the local fly shop (I should know the fly shop name but it escapes me at the moment). I loved living in Alaska (great fishing and hunting opportunities), but our son moved down to Ft Collins, CO so we ended up moving back to the lower 48 to be closer.

Larry
Old 05-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Administrator

fysh

I knew you were a landscaper so I figured you might be into composting. When I lived in AK the previous owner was a gardener and had a wonderful garden plot and a second plot that wasn't so good. Basically the ground was silt and you could tell that the previous owner had put a lot of work into the first garden plot. On the second plot I would rake up all of the leaves (our lot was surrounded by trees) and rotortill them into the seocnd plot then later on as my compost finally matured I would add that into the second plot also. I grew cabbage, squash, carrots, beens......all the usual stuff that grows really well in AK. In the second plot I grew raspberries. I always grew more cabbage than we could possibly eat, but I like it during the fall when the local moose would come in and finish off what I hadn't harvested. Great picture taking opportunities with a moose in your back yard. As the frost would set in and the green foliage would turn brown the moose would come back and strip all of the leaves off the raspberry bushes.

I know what the experts all say about building a bin for composting, but I guess I'm just lazy. I've never used a bin, I just find an used spot on the property and start piling material.

I haven't made it over to western wyoming to fish. I mostly fish in the local area (North Platte and local lakes) and do some fishing in CO over by Walden (North Park area) and then over by Carbondale, CO (Roaring Fork and Frying Pan). Now that I have more options with a drift boat, I'm planning to fish the Colorado river from Silt to Rifle, once the spring runoff has completed. I've heard that is a pretty easy float. This summer, I'm also planning to fish the Green River (below Flaming Gorge) but I will use a guide to help show me the river first.

Larry