The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 06:23 PM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Calling all gardeners....

I find it more convenient to compost in a pile than a bin. One secret to keeping a northern compost pile cooking is men's urine, no really! I start in early spring while the weather is still cool and stop during the summer and start up again in fall. The urine acts as a catalyst to kick start the composting process.

I must pile onto my compost pile 12ft or more of material by the end of the season with all the gardens I put to bed. The worms work on it all through the fall, winter and by mid spring it's ready to sift and use.

I do layer old compost in between the layers of green and brown matter. This helps the worms work faster and higher up into the pile until the cold hits.

I use this compost on my organic veggie garden - it makes about 8-10 yards.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

FlyGal, that's funny!!
I'm all for saving a trip back to the house, unless it's to refill. lol

Now I have to ask why a Human 'Males' urine? What makes it different than a Womans urine?

I know Female dogs have a higher Ammonia content than Male dogs, therfore causing the burn spots in the lawns.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 05-10-2008, 05:08 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

hormones....
Old 05-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

FlyGal

That doesn't surprise me. When I lived in Virginia, I composted primarily with fresh cut grass and horse manure. My son had a pony and we would help him clean the stall and take the manure and mix it with the grass. It made for some great compost.......plus the help of the heat and humidity of Virginia in the summer.

Larry