The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calling all gardeners....

Are you getting a hankerin for those fresh maters, sweet corn, cuckes and squash from the garden? It won't be too much longer before we need to start workin the dirt and gettin it ready.
Those mater slices from the local burger joint are pretty pathetic too!!

Stuck my Garlic in the ground last week(forgot to do last Fall)will be smaller cloves, oh well.
Keep watchin for the horseradish to break through anyday, hopefully.

What all do you folks grow?

I bet Frank has a great garden.....

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-27-2008, 06:57 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Calling all gardeners....

I spotted the first few leaves of the crocus the other day.....Only in the plowed areas of my driveway....our ground is not frozen so spring will be on schedule even though we got hammered this winter with snow. This is the first year I had to dig a 6 x 6ft hole in the snow to reach my compost pile and low and behold the worms were just hanging out at the top of the pile.

Snow is going fast, we lost about 6" yesterday and some of our summer birds have started to return.

P-willows (funny the forum won't let me write the full name - LOL) are in bloom and a few of our quaking aspen have broken bud.

It will be a few months before I can wrap my mouth around a mater....

Funny you should bring up garlic, I just found a bag of it in the greenhouse from last fall's sorting and it made it thought the winter in an unheated GH.....Still good and not sprouting yet like my other stored garlic is....Hmmmm, new technique???

I've got a plastic hoop house set up inside the greenhouse (why heat all of it if your only using 1/4th? Inside the plastic is Dahlias, Cannas, Begonias, Crocosmias and Colocasia (elephant ears).

Any day now I will start some of my annual vines and potted plants.

In about a month, the GH gets inundated with thousands of annuals shipped from several different states throughout New England.

This is like the best of both worlds....Get to talk dirt and fishing....Scheet!
Old 03-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

fyshstykr, you would be so wrong if you thought I had a garden. My wife and I are famous for killing plants of all kinds. We hate yard work and any thing that has to do with it. Our house here is Florida is our first house with grass for more than 30 years. Yard work just keeps me from fishing, hunting or romance.

Frank
Old 03-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGal View Post
I spotted the first few leaves of the crocus the other day.....Only in the plowed areas of my driveway....our ground is not frozen so spring will be on schedule even though we got hammered this winter with snow. This is the first year I had to dig a 6 x 6ft hole in the snow to reach my compost pile and low and behold the worms were just hanging out at the top of the pile.

Snow is going fast, we lost about 6" yesterday and some of our summer birds have started to return.

P-willows (funny the forum won't let me write the full name - LOL) are in bloom and a few of our quaking aspen have broken bud.

It will be a few months before I can wrap my mouth around a mater....

Funny you should bring up garlic, I just found a bag of it in the greenhouse from last fall's sorting and it made it thought the winter in an unheated GH.....Still good and not sprouting yet like my other stored garlic is....Hmmmm, new technique???

I've got a plastic hoop house set up inside the greenhouse (why heat all of it if your only using 1/4th? Inside the plastic is Dahlias, Cannas, Begonias, Crocosmias and Colocasia (elephant ears).

Any day now I will start some of my annual vines and potted plants.

In about a month, the GH gets inundated with thousands of annuals shipped from several different states throughout New England.

This is like the best of both worlds....Get to talk dirt and fishing....Scheet!

I can look out the front window and see our white and purple crocus bloomin, the Tulips are about 5" tall and we had a skiff of wet snow this morning.

I would love to have a green house, maybe someday. Bet it's awsome when everything get's growin.

Give the new Garlic growing method a try, you may be onto something.

Kinda fun talkin dirty with ya FlyGal........ lol

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi to all,

fyshstykr, you would be so wrong if you thought I had a garden. My wife and I are famous for killing plants of all kinds. We hate yard work and any thing that has to do with it. Our house here is Florida is our first house with grass for more than 30 years. Yard work just keeps me from fishing, hunting or romance.

Frank

That really surprises me Frank. So your a lover not a gardener, that's not a bad thing buddy.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I would have guessed Frank for a gardener as well, but I agree with his mindset on yard work. I'd be fine with a "garden home" with no yard, but I get overruled in my house.

I do occasionally attempt an herb garden though. Question for those with the green thumbs: aside from separate plantings, is there a way to have fresh herbs ready to go year round? Every thing I planted last year grew fairly quickly, but died out before I got to use much of it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Oh and I forgot to post a song fshstrykr reminded me of. Its from Guy Clark's "Keepers" album.

YouTube - Homegrown Tomatoes by Guy Clark

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

That's a classic Cliff.
"Only two things in life that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."

Old 03-28-2008, 06:03 AM

BC, only thing in addition you can do is grow more naturalized perennial herbs. I would think it's your summer season that slows down with herb production. Best to find native or naturalized plants that can take the summers in TX.

Classic Tom Song!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Kinda fun talkin dirty with ya FlyGal........ lol

My greenhouse is a small one, 9 x 15, by May I usually don't have to supply heat during the night so I leave the door open and the hummingbirds have taken to spending the night as well as all day in the Ghouse. They are funny things, one min they are curious about you and the other they want you OUT.....

So once it gets really going, I loose ownership of it....