The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 10:21 AM

labradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to all
Default Fly Fishing Merit Badge

I found out the other day that I've once again been "nominated" to teach fly fishing to a bunch of Boy Scouts. I've done this in the past and it's a blast. I really enjoy seeing their enthusiasm for our favorite sport, answering their million questions, and watching them catch their first fly rod fish.

I encourage anyone reading this to contact their local troop and volunteer to teach this fun badge. It takes about five minutes to fill out the BSA paperwork to become a merit badge counselor and you are good to go. There's a shortage of qualified counselors who are regular fly fishers and I'm sure your help would be greatly appreciated by your local troop.

Think of it like this... We pick up trash along the banks, we release that big brown, we attend TU meetings, but when we are gone who's going to look after our favorite rivers and streams?? Even if you don't have children or grandchildren, I encourage everyone to get involved in some way in inspiring the next generation to get off of their iPhones and to go out and wet a line.

If you have any interest in teaching the BSA badge, feel free to drop me a PM and I can point you in the right direction. Also, equipment is always in short supply with just about any troop. Several of the kids I taught last year came from single parent homes and mom just did not have the funds to outfit the boys. If you have old rods, old vises, extra materials/hooks/tools that are sitting in a closet collecting dust, you should consider boxing them up and donating them to the local troop. That old unused rod might end up being someone's pride and joy again.

Thanks for reading my friends.

Click the image to open in full size.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 02-01-2016, 11:39 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fishing Merit Badge

Not the head Guy, and a Girl Scout Group, but head's down and let them have at it with simple ties. Good part is I belonged to a very active fly fishing group so the 'on the water' rods were not an issue.

Burger's/Hot Dogs for lunch the first outing, the second was an over nighter. Those kids could consume pancakes and eggs like they worked at a Logging Camp. Other than a skinned knee all went well.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:28 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant future

Labradorguy,

I could not agree more. My time helping youngsters get their first fish on the fly are always some of my best memories of the year. If interested, we donate 50 leaders to these types of groups very often. We actually send our nymphing leaders as they are stronger, shorter and have more mass for easier casting (for new fly fishers). If at all interested, I just need the number of kids / rods you will have.

I appreciate anyone that offers their time to help such great causes, as time is the one thing we cannot buy.

I will be contacting the local chapter here in Boise to learn more about local programs. Thanks again.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Blog: http://furledleader.blogspot.com/
Old 02-02-2016, 12:54 AM

JoJer has much to be proud ofJoJer has much to be proud ofJoJer has much to be proud ofJoJer has much to be proud ofJoJer has much to be proud ofJoJer has much to be proud ofJoJer has much to be proud ofJoJer has much to be proud ofJoJer has much to be proud of

The youth group I volunteered with was designed for single parent/non outdoor families. The kids are always so grateful for any time afield. Anyone considering this: This is your chance to build the outdoors persons you want to share the water with.
Please see tag line below.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 02-02-2016, 08:16 AM

labradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to all

CutThroat: Thank you for the offer. I will send you a PM and we can discuss what would work best. Your generosity is very much appreciated.

JoJer: That is a good point. A lot of kids just don't have the opportunity to get out like ours do. It makes that time afield all the more special.

Two of the boys who caught their first trout last year were really special kids. They were children who had been adopted after being abandoned by their biological parents. Both boys were born hooked on heroin because "mom" couldn't lay off while pregnant. They were also kept in a closet for the first several years of their lives. At five and six years old, they weighed a little over 20lbs. each, neither had ever had a haircut, and their teeth were mostly gone. A friend of mine took them in and has done everything in his power to undo the damage that was done. Let me tell you, hearing their story puts a lot of things into perspective.... It's not just vets who find solace and peace on the water. Fishing has really been a blessing for those two boys.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 02-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant futureCutThroat Leaders has a brilliant future

Jason,

I just responded to your PM. Thanks a bunch.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Blog: http://furledleader.blogspot.com/
Old 02-02-2016, 12:31 PM

Mike: No, thank you Sir. We work hard to stretch our nickels so we are able to do the most we can with the kids. Offers like yours are sincerely appreciated. Be sure to include your return address; the boys will want to send you a thank you letter. Also, I want to try your indicator leader too. Please put one in the box, whichever you think best, and let me know what I owe you.
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:44 PM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by labradorguy View Post
Mike: No, thank you Sir. We work hard to stretch our nickels so we are able to do the most we can with the kids. Offers like yours are sincerely appreciated. Be sure to include your return address; the boys will want to send you a thank you letter. Also, I want to try your indicator leader too. Please put one in the box, whichever you think best, and let me know what I owe you.
I could probably help you out now and then. I ain't much good help but I'm cheap.
labradorguy and spm like this.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I could probably help you out now and then. I ain't much good help but I'm cheap.
I'll take you up on that. Help is always appreciated. Last year on our "big trip", I handed four boys rods, blinked, and four lines were up in trees! We will be going to Montauk sometime in May and fishing INside the park.... ~shudder~. If you're still game, you know how to get in touch with me.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:19 PM

jgentile is a name known to alljgentile is a name known to alljgentile is a name known to alljgentile is a name known to alljgentile is a name known to alljgentile is a name known to all

Jason,

I am assuming you are still in Herky or at least somewhere in the Show Me State. If you need help on the water give me a heads up when you all are going to hit the water. I'm sure I could lend a rod for the day.

Joe
labradorguy and mridenour like this.