The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By scotty macfly
  • 1 Post By el jefe
  • 2 Post By weiliwen
  • 1 Post By spm
  • 1 Post By planettrout
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By kyhick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2016, 08:19 PM

scotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud of
Default I can't believe he is gone

This won't affect some of you I'm sure, but I just heard that the great Merle Haggard died today, and today is also his birthday.

Historical fact about Merle is when Johnny Cash did his concert in San Quinton, Merle was an inmate there at the time. Merle was truly inspired by Johnny, and when Merle was released and went into the music business, Johnny became one of his best friends.

Merle truly lived the country music scene. I will miss him and his songs. I saw him in Boulder once, and all I can say is what a wonderful person he was.

A true American Icon.

merle haggard - Bing video
120 grain and cab like this.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:28 PM

el jefe is a jewel in the roughel jefe is a jewel in the roughel jefe is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I can't believe he is gone

Merle is many years older than me, but even as a young lad I always enjoyed his music, and seeing him live. I've seen many a big name artist, but Merle Haggard rose above nearly all the rest insofar as you just felt that you were truly in the presence of a legend when you listened to him play and sing.

RIP, Mr. Haggard.
scotty macfly likes this.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:40 AM

weiliwen has a spectacular aura aboutweiliwen has a spectacular aura about

I tell my friends that 95% of the music of any genre is garbage, but if that's the genre you love, you probably like 95% of it anyway. Conversely, 5% of any genre is excellent, and even if it's not "your" genre, you'll probably like it. Merle Haggard was part of that 5%.
nevadanstig and scotty macfly like this.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:58 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiliwen View Post
I tell my friends that 95% of the music of any genre is garbage, but if that's the genre you love, you probably like 95% of it anyway. Conversely, 5% of any genre is excellent, and even if it's not "your" genre, you'll probably like it. Merle Haggard was part of that 5%.
I'm not what you'd call a big C&W fan, but good is good.

I saw Merle Haggard play just once. Opryland, 1978
He was leading a reunion of Bob Wills' Texas Playboys for a TV show taping and it was fantastic.
You can't not like Texas Swing
In the Grand Ole Opry tradition, after the set Merle invited fans to meet him for autographs at "stage left"
He exited "stage right" and wasn't seen again
Old 04-07-2016, 09:22 AM

spm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to beholdspm is a splendid one to behold

Saw him in concert many years ago. A great loss.

So many of his songs are my favorites. Others may disagree, but I always considered this his theme song.

steve

Old 04-07-2016, 09:27 AM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future

Merle Haggard grew up in Oildale, CA and after becoming successful, built a home just off Hwy 178, at the entrance to Kern River Canyon. Passed it many times on the way up to the Kern River - which Merle loved to fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jlVdC4qxsQ

He was one of my favorite, real C&W singers...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-07-2016, 09:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Haggard still struggles with how to explain "Okie." "The reason I wrote it was because I was dumb as a rock," he told a crowd recently.

"I didn't know anything about marijuana back then," Haggard told RS last year and advocated for marijuana, calling it, "one of the most fantastic things in the world."
kyhick likes this.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:16 PM

kyhick is on a distinguished road

A guy I know bought a NRX LP 4wt fished it twice hated it got pissed off at it yesterday, and asked me if I wanted to buy it. I said sure but I ain't got that kinda money, so he said how much you got in your pocket, and I looked told him $130.00. He said ok follow me to the car for the tube and sock. When I got home I found out Merle had died, and since it's the pretty green rod I decided my new rod needed a name "The Hag" Last time I shed some tears over a artist was good old S.R.V. Sat down last night with some beers and jammed on some tunes what a bummer with a happy ending. A new rod with a great name
Old 04-07-2016, 05:13 PM

scotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I'm not what you'd call a big C&W fan, but good is good.

I saw Merle Haggard play just once. Opryland, 1978
He was leading a reunion of Bob Wills' Texas Playboys for a TV show taping and it was fantastic.
You can't not like Texas Swing
In the Grand Ole Opry tradition, after the set Merle invited fans to meet him for autographs at "stage left"
He exited "stage right" and wasn't seen again

Who's left was it, his or the audience.