The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2016, 01:08 PM

mtbusman is a splendid one to beholdmtbusman is a splendid one to beholdmtbusman is a splendid one to beholdmtbusman is a splendid one to beholdmtbusman is a splendid one to beholdmtbusman is a splendid one to beholdmtbusman is a splendid one to behold
Default Break a rod . . . in anger?

Just saw a report that frustration got the better of Rory McIlroy at the Open. After a wayward shot, he slammed his club into the ground in front of him, causing the head to snap off at the shaft.

Even though some fly anglers refer to their array of rods as a "quiver," sometimes comparing the uses of different rods to golfers who have different clubs for different situations, we would never break a rod in frustration or anger . . . right? Surely we remain serene and at peace regardless of mishaps or errors while fishing.

Anybody whose done something less than cerebral in a moment of frustration and is willing to tell the tale, may do so here.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:31 PM

denver1911 is a jewel in the roughdenver1911 is a jewel in the roughdenver1911 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Break a rod . . . in anger?

I've said a swear word a few times. Does that count?
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:51 PM

wthorpe has a spectacular aura aboutwthorpe has a spectacular aura aboutwthorpe has a spectacular aura about

I can find enough creatively stupid ways to break rods without attacking them.

And for that matter the unleashed profanities (which are very rare of course!) are usually aimed, not at the rod (or reel, boat, net or other equipment) so much as at myself for an infinitely varied array of poor hook setting, line handling and fish landing techniques, or at the pea-brained fish for "outsmarting" me.
herchammer likes this.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:06 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Offhand, I can think of at least 2 times breaking a rod when my fly was stuck in a tree.
There was a higher percentage of stupidity over anger, but the results were the same
fredaevans and ia_trouter like this.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:11 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Only fly rod I've broken was in a car door many years ago. The anger & profanity issue came right afterwards.

Fortunately I guess, I'm at a time in my life, fishing or otherwise I don't get angry very often. At least not to the point of breaking things, and especially not a rod. I get more annoyed now at life's "incidents" when they happen than angry. Getting a fly or lure stuck in a tree, or snagged on some unseen submerged obstacle, or a missed fish, or even the occasional hook stuck in a finger don't cause me to get angry. It's fishing, it's fun, it's enjoyable, and it's my way of getting away from things that might make me angry.

Now, since going back to driving, and the observances I make while on the road about the stupidity I see with people & their driving habits, really makes me wonder about people and why we're not extinct.

Still, I don't get mad about it, more concerned than anything.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Last edited by bigjim5589; 07-16-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:16 PM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future

Never a flyrod. I may have grabbed a spinning rod too high a time or too and yanked it very hard (after getting snagged and re-rigging on three or so casts in a row). They won't tolerate much of that. Probably a good thing I got the lesson on a panfish spinning rod because I get all analytical now when I catch a walnut tree on a fly rod.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:43 PM

plecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbusman View Post
Just saw a report that frustration got the better of Rory McIlroy at the Open.
Haven't broken a rod in anger ever.

Rory may have been in trouble. He can't replace that club during the round, so whatever club it was is now not available to him.

Paul
Old 07-16-2016, 04:25 PM

coug is a jewel in the roughcoug is a jewel in the roughcoug is a jewel in the roughcoug is a jewel in the rough

Never have come close to doing that, although an old fishing partner used to throw his at times when we were steelheading. Easily frustrated / hot temper are not a good mix with steelhead.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:20 PM

100954 will become famous soon enough100954 will become famous soon enough

Left one on top of the Blazer once and drove 60 MPH down the road. Went back, found it and Orivs replaced it, no questions asked!
Old 07-16-2016, 09:53 PM

Hirdy will become famous soon enoughHirdy will become famous soon enough

I have broken a couple through stupidity, but never in anger. (I was angry AFTER the breakage!)

One of my mates did break a rod in anger though: after losing a fish, he slapped his rod onto the water. The tip broke off 6' from the end, leaving him with a perplexed look on his face, as if to say "Did I really just break a rod on the water?"

Cheers,
Graeme