The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 05:28 PM

rusty 54 is a splendid one to beholdrusty 54 is a splendid one to beholdrusty 54 is a splendid one to beholdrusty 54 is a splendid one to beholdrusty 54 is a splendid one to beholdrusty 54 is a splendid one to beholdrusty 54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Dna

I received a DNA kit for Christmas and just got the results. I always thought I was Dutch and British, But it turns out 27% of my DNA is from Ireland! I'm pretty excited for my first St. Patrick's Day as an Irishman. That might explain why I like Guiness so much.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:07 PM

karstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dna

My parents, well into their 70's, each sent off their DNA sample recently. Mom asks me, "son, do you want to have your DNA tested?" Me, "No, mom, I don't think that will be necessary... not unless you have something you need to tell me!"

I'm curious to see if there are any "surprises" that show family origins differing from the family lore like the one where my maternal grandmother had substantial Native American ancestry. Those markers should show up in my mom if the stories are true.
mcnerney and trout trekker like this.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:40 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting subject. I've always wondered if the family lore was true. I used to tell my friends my great-grandmother posed for the original Buffalo Nickel. She looked very native American. We verified native american by visiting tribal and county records. My last name is very English but no real verification. I'm tempted to do the DNA thing just for fun, not because I would be overly concerned with the outcome. I am guessing mostly mixed European like the majority of the caucasians in this country. Doesn't take many generations to add a lot of nations to the pedigree.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:57 AM

karstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of light

My parent's DNA came back. Myth busted the family lore that said my grandmother was part Native American. Zero indigenous American DNA on either side. Mom thought she was mostly French and German. Turncoat, she's mostly English. Dad's biggest single line item was Scandinavian, he didn't see that coming based on what he thought he knew about his ancestors.

So they got the kit for me and my daughter. I'm really hoping that there aren't any big surprises coming with those results.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:17 PM

teledan is on a distinguished road

Very interesting. I've been thinking about doing this as well, the one through ancestry.com. I'd like my wife to do it as well, although we are pretty sure she is mostly Greek. A guy I work with just did it and was surprised to learn about his scandinavian ancestry. I guess those Vikings really got around...

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

FYI, the Ancestry kits are on sale for about a week:

https://www.ancestry.com/dna/?o_xid=...mail+Campaigns
fredaevans and karstopo like this.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:42 PM

rusty 54 is a splendid one to beholdrusty 54 is a splendid one to beholdrusty 54 is a splendid one to beholdrusty 54 is a splendid one to beholdrusty 54 is a splendid one to beholdrusty 54 is a splendid one to beholdrusty 54 is a splendid one to behold

Mine was Ancestry, i would like to do another company to compare. I wonder about the validity
Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledan View Post
Very interesting. I've been thinking about doing this as well, the one through ancestry.com. I'd like my wife to do it as well, although we are pretty sure she is mostly Greek. A guy I work with just did it and was surprised to learn about his scandinavian ancestry. I guess those Vikings really got around...

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

FYI, the Ancestry kits are on sale for about a week:

https://www.ancestry.com/dna/?o_xid=...mail+Campaigns
Ancestry.com is who they used. I believe both of my parents had a smidge of Greek ancestry as well. That was a surprise too.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:31 PM

unknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant future

I kinda want to do this but I don't think there will be any surprises. Good oral history passed on and a very German name.

My wife did it and found out she has 66% more Neanderthal genes than the rest of the world population. I started calling her link.....as in missing...

Next on ancient swedes... she is predominantly Swedish which they list as Scandinavian and Irish which they just list as British. Which she knew as was passed on from here parents but the cave woman thing was a suprise. Oh she is touchy about that now she looking at me mad, to which I reply are you going to bonk bonk on the head? Genetic testing has been pretty fun for me. I think it's cool and she laughs too.
fredaevans and karstopo like this.

Last edited by unknownflyman; 04-21-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:47 PM

nevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant future

Ive never done the DNA, dont know if I ever really would. I did do the ancestry thing pretty deeply. I was able to track my mothers side to the 1200's or so. My fathers side however, completely disappears after his father. Like no records, absolutely nothing.
My wifes side was interesting. Her great (or great great) grandfather was the inventor of the 4 wheeled automobile, the first gasoline powered automobile, and the carburetor (research Gottfried Schloemer). I was able to track both her branches to the 13-1400's.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 05:46 PM

My mom had an old aunt who traced her family. According to that, I should be British Royalty!