The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard
Default It's Always Good To See This.

It was just a couple hours ago; I was sitting at my desk writing away at something and something caught my eye. There had bee 2 Moose laying in our woods since this morning and they had gotten up and began to browse. I was curious because I thought I'd seen more than two this morning but hadn't paid a great deal of attention.

So why wouldn't you pay much attention? You see, we have just three acres here around the house but between us and a neighbor to the north we have one of the few quiet undisturbed pieces of woods left in this area. There are no 4 wheeler s - snowmachines or anything else here to bother moose so they like it here. Going outside to get a closer look could spook them and then they leave the safety of this little haven.

As I watched out the window it became clear there had been three of them laying out there, funny how they are hard to see sometimes...........

Click the image to open in full size.

The pictures are just point & shoot from my fishing camera but I knew there was a big Bull here the other day so I grabbed my trusty Zeiss !0 X 25-B binoculars and checked the noggin on all three. Those are all males that have shed their antlers. One is older and larger than the other two or is genetically predisposed to be more robust because he is bigger, I'd guess him at around 950 pounds without feeling silly, maybe a hair more.

They were doing some neat stuff but of course I didn't get it in a picture. Things like standing on the hind legs to reach higher and some inter-group sparring with one another.

I'm going to drop a few birch trees tomorrow so there is some fresh browse for them and next years firewood for us. So many are hit by cars just 300 yards away from our home that it is bitter sweet when you see some in the yard. Generally they have a 50/50 chance of coming back if they chose to cross the Knik Goose bay Road. I hope they all make it and die of old age instead, it's part of living 52 miles from town. If I want to hunt them there's the cabin for that, these guys are part of living here.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-07-2017, 08:43 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's Always Good To See This.

I know this post is about the moose but you have one of the best backyard views of anyone I have ever known. That birch tree stand is incredible. I'm a tree hugger forever, but they are too thick and it's OK to cut down a few to keep the forest healthy. Birch is great firewood and replenishes itself quickly.
Ard, ejsell and spm like this.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:16 PM

bigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard, very cool! I've been a life long hunter, but time & place for it IMO. The back yard, not the place. Where I live, there's about a dozen Gray Squirrels running around my yard & the neighbors yards. Tasty, and excellent tying materials, but I haven't had the desire to dispatch any of them. Sometimes, I certainly think about it, but enjoy watching them running around too much.
Ard likes this.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

We don't get too involved with these things, they're too dam big to have hanging around all the time. However, we had a very close encounter this past spring with a young bull, possibly one of those in the pictures being another 9 1/2 months older........... Nancy, Boss and I were all sitting on the small back porch not on the raised deck when this guy, maybe 500 - 575 pounds with a set of shovel antlers about 1 foot each side and in velvet comes out onto the lawn. He causally strolls across the yard on a direct route to a large patch of wild chives that is roughly 3 feet from Nancy.

We all froze, remember that Boss is sitting there too looking right at him as he approaches.

Boss

Boss is almost 12 now and has learned not to hassle moose, bark at a bear but leave moose alone. This was pretty easy to train because I'd bet he's ran into 30 or 40 of them here right in the yard and he's pretty smart. Anyway, we sat stone still and silent and that moose stepped up right beside us and consumed the fresh chives and then wandered back up the slope and went back to browsing on the other goodies at the edge of the woods.

After that was over we all knew that none of us had ever been that close to a live moose. I would have felt entirely different about that if it had been an 1100 pound bull with fully developed antlers, I believe we all would have retreated to the deck and indoors.

I've already gotten up early on a spring morning and as I turned the corner headed into the kitchen to make coffee, had the heck scared out of me when a big one raised his head and was inches from the large window by our dining table looking through the window at me! He jumped too and moved away quickly. That one was eating the fresh grass that comes up soonest near the back of the house every year..............

They are cool, they are big, I don't mind them being around but we exercise caution when they walk into the yard while we are outside.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:01 AM

wheeze has a spectacular aura aboutwheeze has a spectacular aura aboutwheeze has a spectacular aura about

Ard; nice photos. I loved your story of the young one coming into the yard and basically ignoring you (and the dog!) We've had them in the back on several occasions, but they've never come right up to the house during daylight hours. That's pretty amazing.

I've lived (and worked) in moose country most of my life, and I STILL stop and watch them most every time. They are such an improbable, clumsily graceful beast.
thanks for the post! It was a reminder to me, as I sit here by the wood stove drinking coffee and looking at snow, that lots of other people aren't fishing, either.
brent
bigjim5589 and Ard like this.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:05 AM

spm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant future

Ard,
It is incredible to me how commonplace moose in your backyard is to you. Awesome animals! We get excited when whitetail deer come into our yard. Maybe you DO live in paradise.

Thanks,
steve
Ard and wheeze like this.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:30 AM

unknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant future

Very cool pics, love seeing moose, it looks like our herd is on the rebound. They are big and mean with full head gear, I've been close didn't really like it. I have a friend that had a story printed in the news paper where a bull chased and injured their camping party, he wouldn't leave, out for blood. Harrowing experience.

Well like the old saying you f with the bull, you get the horns.
bigjim5589 and Ard like this.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:42 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
. They are big and mean with full head gear, I've been close didn't really like it. I have a friend that had a story printed in the news paper where a bull chased and injured their camping party, he wouldn't leave, out for blood. Harrowing experience.
I've been chased by a big bull moose
What worked for me was running and screaming like a little girl
bigjim5589, Ard, dean_mt and 4 others like this.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Closest I ever came to having a problem with one was on a very small stream catching rainbows and Char, I heard a noise and my first thought was bear......... The place is noted for brown bear but it was a cow with a very newborn calf. Just like other members of the deer family, moose like to birth near water; gives the mother a chance to re hydrate right away I'd guess. I've found a lot of deer and now quite a few moose with newborns right at waters edge so that's mt theory.

There was no problem because I choose to vamoose, (pun intended) with haste. The cow was showing everything I have learned which would preempt a charge.

When I see a big bull in the summer or fall I am much more comfortable if I am looking at him through my binoculars. If you would be charged a group of decent size trees is the best you're gonna do for shelter. If they are close in their standing just move between them from side to side. The moose will have difficulty coming between the trees and a bull with head gear may well be unable. My nearest neighbor at the cabin got into things with a cow last year, he used the tree trick but he reports that it took nearly half an hour before she gave up, gathered the 2 calves and departed Rick seems to get into interesting situations but is also one of those people who thinks quickly. He's probably the best Bush pilot I've flown with here and has been doing some interesting stuff his entire life.

Generally I don't worry about things ever since I got Super Boss.

If there's a threat to his best friend, he will come running to the rescue

That was him scorching a sand bar on the Yentna years ago. The shot of him in his cape is really old, taken before I put the floors in this house. he doesn't wear the cape anymore because of the way it draws a crowd. He does not have one of those Service Dog vests that allow dogs to go shopping with me, he has the cape. His favorite stops are Home Depot - Lowe's - Sportsman's Warehouse and basically anywhere that he is allowed. People flock to him like a rock star and he seems to love the attention, it's gotta be the attention because in all those trips he's never bought one single thing...... Boss has been the very best security system a guy could have had with for the past decade. He'll be 12 in just a couple months so he has slowed a little but then I am 12 years older than when we met and formed a team. He's slower and so am I so we just stay closer now

Old 03-08-2017, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics thanks for sharing ArdI think I've already seen a pic of Boss running on the forum....looks like he's flying... it's beautiful!