The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree30Likes
  • 9 Post By fredaevans
  • 4 Post By ia_trouter
  • 3 Post By rangerrich99
  • 2 Post By ia_trouter
  • 2 Post By itchmesir
  • 3 Post By rangerrich99
  • 5 Post By 1fish
  • 1 Post By ejsell
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 01:36 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Some what fishing related: "Meals on Wheels."

A lot of us are getting 'Long in the tooth' or have 'disabilities' but eat we must. I'm both ...

Large chunk of the US have a 'Meal's on Wheels' delivery service (you can in many cases eat at their kitchen locations) and should sign up for the service. Regardless of where you live the following is what you'll get served:

About Us - Food & Friends

These are no TV Dinner's, they are substantial! Main course, two veggies, a desert, and small carton of milk. Food is prepared in a professional level physility (sp??) and delivered by all Vollies.

How much $$?

In my area that's your call ... from zero to a max. of $2.75.

fae
Old 03-20-2017, 04:33 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some what fishing related: "Meals on Wheels."

It seems like a very good program Fred. I'm glad you get a hot meal everyday. I've known a few local seniors including family who have used it and IMO it probably played some part in keeping them out of rest homes for years. Family can help do the laundry and mow a lawn, but it's tough to make sure a decent lunch is there when you have a day job and live in the next county. Is it still true the meals are usually delivered by volunteers?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:43 PM

rangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud of

facility

Hope Meals on Wheels somehow manages to survive; program helped a few people I used to know. And I'm pretty sure MoW is staffed almost entirely by volunteers. I did a summer internship with them when I was a teenager.
mcnerney, audax and GrtLksMarlin like this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-20-2017, 07:06 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
facility

Hope Meals on Wheels somehow manages to survive; program helped a few people I used to know. And I'm pretty sure MoW is staffed almost entirely by volunteers. I did a summer internship with them when I was a teenager.
I don't have any real need to know the details. I was just curious. It's been in the news of course with the budget talks. Mostly it is not funded by FED dollars from what I am reading. MOW is a big nationwide operation and if all the meals are delivered by volunteers, well that is a LOT of volunteers.

My church puts on a dinner meal every Wednesday for the less fortunate. My wife and I go bus tables which is no big sacrifice. The folks that actually prep the meal are there all afternoon, and more time on another day getting food from a local pantry. The logistics of feeding just 100 people is pretty enormous.
mcnerney and GrtLksMarlin like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:23 PM

itchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond repute

Meals on Wheels found my great aunt on the floor. Thankfully for their service she didn't have to die there.

Soon it's federal funding will be cut. Volunteer hours only go so far and it surely doesn't pay the bills. We care less and less about our own people every day. It's a sad state we live in.
mcnerney and GrtLksMarlin like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:26 PM

rangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud of

When I said mostly volunteers, I meant the food delivery and I think the cook staff as well. Pretty sure fed funding covers the administration/purchasing and so on.
mcnerney, GrtLksMarlin and ejsell like this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-21-2017, 12:35 AM

1fish has a spectacular aura about1fish has a spectacular aura about1fish has a spectacular aura about

The Meals On Wheels Lie Keeps Rolling Along | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD
Old 03-21-2017, 07:02 AM

ejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud of

Headlines can be misleading but the topic, expecially when it comes to government programs, is usually too complex to capture in a catchy headline. If someone says "talking points" that's usually code for just that one little piece of information I want influence you with not the much more complex issue that actually exists.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...o-say-how-much

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsell View Post
Headlines can be misleading but the topic...
Understatement of day. I think it was about 20 years ago I learned I have to read about six separate articles to finally get 75% of the truth. It's sad really.

I believe the point of Fred's thread is this is one of the good programs and he wanted to share his appreciation for it. Lets not wreck it for him by turning this into something overly contentious.
ejsell likes this.