The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 01:18 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Re: Beverages of a Frothy Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
Great Lakes Brewery Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and Commodore Perry IPA.
Ah, Great Lakes Brewing. Burning River was the second Pale Ale I ever had. The first was Sierra Nevada's. Those two started a long time love for pale's. Here locally Mountaineer Pale is really good as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
There are just so many good micro brews out there now days, and so little time to sample them!
Larry I couldn't agree more. One of my favorite is in Pittsburgh, The Church Brew Works. We always try to stop and pick up a case of their Pious Monk Dunkel and their Pipe Organ Pale when we travel through. They also grow their own hops.

Hey that was my 100th post! Think Ill celebrate with a brew.......

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...

Last edited by cattech89; 08-15-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: 100th post!
Old 08-16-2010, 01:18 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

My choice for awhile is "Newcastle".
This last weekend we were at a waypoint in the John Muir Wilderness. They had Pabst Blue Ribbon on the black board so I tried one. Pretty good.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
My choice for awhile is "Newcastle".
This last weekend we were at a waypoint in the John Muir Wilderness. They had Pabst Blue Ribbon on the black board so I tried one. Pretty good.
Jimmie: You can't go wrong with Newcastle! I haven't had a PBR in a looong time, guess I should try one next time I see a place that carries it.

Larry
Old 08-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Click the image to open in full size.
that's what we drink when fishin' in Austriablond girls are NOT included
Old 08-16-2010, 03:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I began my pursuit of high end beer about 30 years ago. I'd drive hours to find quality beer that wasn't available locally.
Soon afterwards I started home brewing... around 1984-'85. That was easier, cheaper, and more interesting. (I was very popular with friends and family too.)
Lately I've gone full circle. I've come to the conclusion that beer is not like wine and it's not suppose to be sooty. And if it's too 'good' to come in cans, well it's probably not for me.
That's not to say that I've totally sworn off the good stuff.
I could sit in a saloon for hours swilling quality beer from a cask or a keg. Just don't expect to see me buying those $10 bottles with a cap and cork that the local swill merchant is pushing.

More recently I've been into regional breweries that in years past saw hard times but lately have been revived by new owners
I'm sure that there are regional breweries in your area that were forced out during the late 60's and 70's by the large conglomerates (A.B., Miller, Coors) that are trying to make a come back.
In the NYC area there's Rhinegold. Here in New England it's Narragansett
Good stuff, very drinkable, competitive prices, and most important.
.. not snooty.

("Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women" )

Old 08-16-2010, 05:57 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I began my pursuit of high end beer about 30 years ago. I'd drive hours to find quality beer that wasn't available locally.
Soon afterwards I started home brewing... around 1984-'85. That was easier, cheaper, and more interesting. (I was very popular with friends and family too.)
Lately I've gone full circle. I've come to the conclusion that beer is not like wine and it's not suppose to be sooty. And if it's too 'good' to come in cans, well it's probably not for me.
That's not to say that I've totally sworn off the good stuff.
I could sit in a saloon for hours swilling quality beer from a cask or a keg. Just don't expect to see me buying those $10 bottles with a cap and cork that the local swill merchant is pushing.

More recently I've been into regional breweries that in years past saw hard times but lately have been revived by new owners
I'm sure that there are regional breweries in your area that were forced out during the late 60's and 70's by the large conglomerates (A.B., Miller, Coors) that are trying to make a come back.
In the NYC area there's Rhinegold. Here in New England it's Narragansett
Good stuff, very drinkable, competitive prices, and most important.
.. not snooty.

("Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women" )

Riptide, I have to say I do have to agree that some of the best brews around are found in the local brewpubs. WV has its fair share. Everytime the wife and I go on vacation we always try to find a local brewery or two. Most of the time they have some of the best food, and of course, the most unique beer.
I do have to admit, I like a "snooty" beer every now and then......

Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

My all time favorites beers are Guinness Stout, then Guinness Draught, & Smithwicks in that order. If you can't tell I'm 100% Irish, yes there are Wilsons in Ireland. However I also like New Castle Ale even if it is English.

Then there is Shiner Bock when I feel like a lighter beer.

The Micro Brews I like are just far to many to name as others have said.

I had dark beer that I found interesting and quite good recently by the Mammoth Brewing Company from Mammoth Lakes, California called Double Nut Brown.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Both Larry and Yat mentioned 'Fat tire', it's probably my favorite. Must be a regional thing? Another one very high on the list would be 'Anchor Steam'.

Snake River Lager, Cutthroat epa, Troutslayer (yea kind of a theme goin' here.).....usually find their way into my hand also.
Jimmy mentioned 'PBR'......I like it coming from a cold keg....from the can, not so much. A few of the establishments in the places we travel have started pouring it from the tap, it's pretty good, and cheap.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Micro brews are great for the most part...I prefer my beer in bottles, I think the stuff in cans has a tinny taste...My faves would include Blue Moon, Yeungling, Rolling Rock, Labatt's Blue, Harp...I'll stop there...

Dan
Old 08-18-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Micro brews are great for the most part...I prefer my beer in bottles, I think the stuff in cans has a tinny taste...My faves would include Blue Moon, Yeungling, Rolling Rock, Labatt's Blue, Harp...I'll stop there...

Dan
Yuengling used to be a beer that I would search for because it wasnt sold in WV. All my buddies and I would bring back cases for each other from PA. Last year or so when WV beer laws changed and Yuengling became available. The nostalgia was lost and it just wasnt the same anymore. I still think its good beer for the price and its great for a party or camping with bunch of friends but i just kibda got burnt out on it.
I do prefer bottles as well.