The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Beverages of a Frothy Nature

I forgot to mention I also prefer bottles in most beers, but in some like Guinness Stout as long as the person pouring knows what they are doing I prefer, it off a tap. If I'm somewhere with friends and canned beer is the only thing available I'll drink it and I'll even force down Budweiser, Coors or other major American beers if there is absolutely nothing else to drink.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:31 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Jimmie: You can't go wrong with Newcastle! I haven't had a PBR in a looong time, guess I should try one next time I see a place that carries it.

Larry
You guys need to come and hang out here. We have it everywhere; there are even some bars that sell PBR pounders and a shot of Jim Beam for $4.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 08-21-2010, 01:19 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I'm with Jimmie and Larry on Newcastle, particularly if it's draft. Now, if I'm in my wife's former country - Germany - then there are other options, such as Pilsner. The difference there between Pilsner and so-called "Export" draft is that the Export can be drafted immediately, whereas the Pilsner takes seven minutes to fill a full glass. So, I always order an Export and a Pilsner at the same time; that way, my initial thirst is quaffed by the time the Pilsner is ready, and from then on, I'm drinking the better stuff.

One of the main differences between the German beers and the English are the conditions under which they're brewed. German beers are brewed in temperatures in the 40-50s (Fahrenheit), whereas the UK beers are brewed at warmer temperatures - what we would call room temperature. And since these beers are intended to be served at their brewing temperatures, this is why British beer used to be served at room temperature (although Yankee tourists have changed local custom to colder) and German beers served much colder.

Bottoms up, or "prost".
Old 08-21-2010, 05:28 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Thanks F2F, a little brewing lesson to go with my Barley Sandwich........

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 08-21-2010, 10:14 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattech89 View Post
Thanks F2F, a little brewing lesson to go with my Barley Sandwich........
As they say in Germany ("Beerland", in my parlance), Noch ein Pils, bitte - one more Pilsner, please. I'd say more, but suddenly I've got a powerful thirst . . .
Old 08-22-2010, 09:17 AM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

I'm biased, but the best beer is what is sitting in 5 gallon cornelius kegs in my basement, three of which are in my keg fridge. Strike that, two kegs in the fridge, one ran out the other evening. Fortunately I have 6 more in waiting and will move one in today.

Yes, I'm a home brewer. Just like catching a fish on a fly you tied, maybe even on a rod you built, is much more satisfying, serving your friends beer you made and having them enjoy it is very satisfying.

Right now, I have a brown ale made from a kit that is pretty good and a souped up stout on tap. The keg that just blew was an American Pale Ale. I've started to tweak the kits to make them my own. The stout is a Dry Irish Stout to which I added extra grain and hops, producing a beer that is much more flavorful. Almost approaching a Russian Imperial Stout, but not quite that high in alcohol. The APA was my attempt at Boulevard Pale Ale that missed by quite a bit but turned out to be a great beer anyway.

Waiting for fridge space is:

- 10 gallons of my home recipe Full Moon Brown Ale (a crowd favorite)
- 5 gallons of the APA
- 5 gallons of the Souped up Stout
- 5 gallons of Bourbon Barrel Porter
- 5 gallons of Cream Ale

Three kegs are now empty, so it is time to crank out 15 gallons so it has time to condition for a few months for best flavor.

Craig
Old 08-22-2010, 11:20 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Craig,
So........do you have a guest bedroom or do I need to bring a tent?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 AM

After reading a recent thread about favorite beverages while tying, I thought I might resurrect this thread. We have some new members and some time has gone by since the last post so there's a chance to bring some new varieties to the table.

I recently had Bell's Brewing Oarsman Ale. I thought it was great. It wasn't too heavy, had a nice crisp bite to it, and had a nice clean refreshing finish. It was a perfect accompaniment to the cookout we were having.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:33 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Back in PA I thought "nectar of the Gods" was Honey Double Maibock from Stoudt's Brewery in Adamstown, PA... and I'm sure it's still a fine brew (if they still produce it).

But I have to say, one of the pleasant surprises since relocating to the Salt Lake City area is the incredible selection of micro-brews and brew-pubs in the region.

One of my favorite local watering holes Hoppers Grill produces a number of fine beers, but their holiday seasonal known as The First SnoAle tops 'em all... absolutely fantastic (and quite potent as well).

Click the image to open in full size.

I highly recommend Hoppers for anyone visiting the area, nice brew pub with fine beers, great food, and a fishing theme decor!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-14-2012, 09:08 AM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road

Before I was working in the fishing industry, I was working in the pro brewing world. Realized that working in production brewing wasn't my gig, and found brewing at the home level far, far more enjoyable.

My favorite breweries:
Black Raven Brewing: Redmond, WA
Chuckanut Brewing: Bellingham, WA
Firestone Walker: Paso Rablos, CA

Favorite overall beer:
Click the image to open in full size.

I am a huge advocate of craft brews, but don't really drink much. I have some health issues that keep my alcohol intake limited, which is just fine by me. Keeps me with the quality over quantity mindset

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Micro brews are great for the most part...I prefer my beer in bottles, I think the stuff in cans has a tinny taste...My faves would include Blue Moon, Yeungling, Rolling Rock, Labatt's Blue, Harp...I'll stop there...

Dan
The cans vs bottle debate always seems to start like this. Largely because most canned beer people have had have been from the big, industrial breweries. Have you had any real, craft brews in cans? In a blind test, it is impossible to tell the difference between a bottled and canned version of the same beer. Aluminum cans are coated with an interior lining that is just as passive as glass.

Cans are actually a far, far superior packaging to glass. They keep 100% of light out. Light is one of the biggest killers of beer, causing a chemical reaction with hop oils.

Cans are gaining much favor in the craft brewing world. Next time you're in a place selling craft beers, look to see if any of the ones in your region are selling cans yet. The most widely distributed canned craft brews come from 21st Amendment, Oskar Blues, and more recently with Sierra Nevada.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
I'm with Jimmie and Larry on Newcastle, particularly if it's draft. Now, if I'm in my wife's former country - Germany - then there are other options, such as Pilsner. The difference there between Pilsner and so-called "Export" draft is that the Export can be drafted immediately, whereas the Pilsner takes seven minutes to fill a full glass. So, I always order an Export and a Pilsner at the same time; that way, my initial thirst is quaffed by the time the Pilsner is ready, and from then on, I'm drinking the better stuff.

One of the main differences between the German beers and the English are the conditions under which they're brewed. German beers are brewed in temperatures in the 40-50s (Fahrenheit), whereas the UK beers are brewed at warmer temperatures - what we would call room temperature. And since these beers are intended to be served at their brewing temperatures, this is why British beer used to be served at room temperature (although Yankee tourists have changed local custom to colder) and German beers served much colder.

Bottoms up, or "prost".
There are American breweries doing German style brews that would blow your mind. Chuckanut Brewery up here in Washington has been consistently beating the Germans at their own game in the world beer competitions. I have a half keg of their Munich Helles in my kegerator right now... So much good going on.

Washington State where I am has close to 200 breweries. We are beyond spoiled in our beer availability here.