The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yurt or Yert, probably doesn't matter....

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this type of tent/shelter? 4 Metre diameter Ultimate Bell Tent [A169282] - £389.00 : Bell Tent UK, Part of Camping with Soul Family

They seem pretty cool, roomy, relatively easy to set up, and would provide a fairly good shelter being made from cotton canvas.

No, I will not be hanging any tea light chandeliers up!!

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 08-25-2010, 12:45 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Yurt or Yert, probably doesn't matter....

Nice. I've stayed in Yurts on multi day Xcountry ski trips. They are warm and comfy. Go for it.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You guys know I hate to disagree with another post but.................. It looks heavy and complicated, cool but complicated. For a big tent with plenty of head room when high wind isn't a threat I use a Kelty Trail Dome 6 man size. Easy as pie and quick to set up. Weight around 8 pounds (guess). For the worst weather I use a North Face Expedition 25 three man, (about 11 lb) not as easy and quick but will handle whatever comes (so far). Like Yat I've stayed in Yurts on state and Fed campsites and they were great.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Fysh....you'll find on this site a video to show you how to build a REAL yurthttp://www.layourterie.com/pages/yourte-traditionnelle.php
You may know Tiana was born in Siberia near the mongolia border...a friend of hers sometimes goes hunting there... here's a pic taken inside a yurt she emailed us
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies folks.

We've decided that spending $800.00 on a motel room this year for Steelheading is just too much, so now we're looking at tent options other than the 4 person dome tent we already have.

With a chance of the weather being cool and wet we've decided to look into some bigger canvas tents that will hopefully provide somewhat better shelter and hold some heat in.

Pam doesn't seem to like the Yurt idea, so I'll keep on researching. lol!
WORK, WORK, WORK!!!

Thanks for the pic JP. I think the real Yerts are incredibly cool!!

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 08-26-2010, 08:34 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Fysh
Here's a Google search for Canvas Outftters Tents.
canvas outfitter tents - Google Product Search

When I go large on camping trips now-a-days I take my art show canopy.
There's room for a cot, table for Coleman stove and stuff, plus chairs and still plenty room for hanging out.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:31 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Kicking this up to the top as I'm curious as to where it ended up.

fae
Old 09-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Right now it looks like we're doing a 12' X 14' canvas.

I really don't mind going this route -vs- spending well over $800.00 for a room that we'll only sleep in.
With the larger tent, even tough it's only the 2 of us, atleast we will have enough room for a small sitting area if the weather gets a bit dicey, and enough room to stow the rest of our gear. The tent we've decided upon has a rain shield made from semi reflective material that in the cooler weather will atleast hold some heat when the heater is on in the a.m.

If the weather gets too bad we'll be heading South anyway, regardless if we have a room or not. Even at that if it's only a short bigger storm we can always get a room for a day or two, or tough it out in the tent.

It's good either way. All I care is that I'm Steelheading!!!!!!

Old 09-06-2010, 01:32 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you headed for your 'fix?'
Old 09-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Salmon/Challis area.
Where I'm new to the game(2nd year), I'll be going where the group goes.