The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 09:19 PM

romeolima is on a distinguished road
Default New fly fisher

A few weeks ago I introduced myself as as being new to fly fishing, and how I was going to approach my foray into fly fishing, in any event I followed through with my plan. I spent a day with a teaching guide on the Grand river, near Fergus, Ontario, learning the fundementals of equipment, learning how to tie knots and build leaders, learning the basic cast roll cast and single haul, I did try a double haul, l but I know that is going to take a little time. After the technical aspects we waded into the river, what valuable time well spent. I learned about what the fish were feeding on, how to match the hatch, what to look for on the river, fishing riffles, runs, and pools. I was able to put my casting into practise, I learned about nymphing techinques, stripping streamers and drifting dry flys, the fact that I did not catch anything is beside the point, I now know what I need to know to catch trout. In any event if you are new to fly fishing, bite the bullit, spend the money and spend a day with a pro. I felt that the time was so well spent I plan to spend a follow up day on the river, tuning up what I have already learned, and learning new techniques.
Tight Lines.
RL
Old 05-15-2008, 11:01 PM

wlb06 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New fly fisher

Sounds like money well spent...something I have still not done and I actually got a gift certificate on my birthday a few days ago for a guided trip. I have been fishing for a couple years but I hadnt really spent the time to dig down and learn and take it to the next level, but this year I am.

I am reading this book right now that another forum member suggested and it is really informative and covers some of the topics you mentioned in your post...maybe you would be interested.

Amazon.com: The Orvis Guide to Prospecting for Trout: How to Catch Fish When There's No Hatch to Match, Revised Edition: Tom Rosenbauer: Books
Old 05-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi RL,

How smart you are. A lesson like you got is what every new fly fisher needs. When new fishers ask how to get started I can't give any better advise than what you did. I know that not catching any fish is a small price to pay for all the education you got. That lesson will accelerate your ability to catch fish way beyond what reading or watching DVD's can do.

You need to practice your knots and casting before you go out again with your guide. He will appreciate your effort and work even harder for you. It sounds to me that you have found a good guide who understands what a beginner needs to learn first. Make sure he covers reading the water and where trout lay. With your cast he should show you a reach cast and a "S" cast. These are two cast that I use a lot. Even if you don't use the reach or "S" cast right away you will know what they are. The "S" cast is the best way I know to cast down stream.

You did good, RL

Frank
Old 05-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Great post R.L.
By doing that you shortened the initial learning curve, very smart thing to do as Frank mentioned.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."