The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 05:47 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road
Default New Jet

Hi All,

Our company announced on Friday that we're adding another model to our line, called the Eclipse 400. The plan is to have it in the field sometime late 2011. That's 3 1/2 years from now, so we'll see how the certification goes. I guess "radical" pretty much sums up how it looks, but the company pilots say it flies like a dream. The pics don't really show too well, but it's a single engine turbine.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e400front.JPG (68.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg e400side.JPG (82.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Jet

Philthy

Nice looking jet! Is it single engine or dual, couldn't tell from the photo?
Sure would be nice to take a spin in that thing. I flew A-10's and F-106's in the AF and miss the flying but can't afford that kind of fun now that I'm retired.

Larry
Old 06-01-2008, 10:55 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Philthy

Nice looking jet! Is it single engine or dual, couldn't tell from the photo?
Sure would be nice to take a spin in that thing. I flew A-10's and F-106's in the AF and miss the flying but can't afford that kind of fun now that I'm retired.

Larry
Hi Larry,

It's a single engine powered by a Pratt & Whitney Canada PW615F- rated at something like 1200 lbs thrust - sorry, I don't have the numers in front of me! The company pilots I've talked to say it's a super sweet plane to fly - not like a "forked tail doctor killer" the old Bonanza was (in)famous for. That's cool you flew A-10s. The TF-34 is a good engine - used on the CRJs for those that don't know. Here's a link for the new jet:

Eclipse 400 - Home

Here's a link to the one we're currently building. This video just does something for me! By the way, I've built every one we've delivered, so this is way cool to know that I've had my hands on it:

YouTube - Eclipse 500 over California

And here's a link to the new jet we're gonna build.

YouTube - Eclipse Concept Jet, EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2007

Yea, I remember the 106 Delta Dagger very well! I guess there's a few of us dinosaurs left.

I hear you on the affordability issue. There's nothing I'd love more than being able to own a Mooney, or a Waco/Stearman...now that's what I'm talking about! Gotta love those radials!
Old 06-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Philthy

I lost track of your thread on the new plane. Thanks for posting the video clips. The new jet looks awesome, hope it makes a go on the commercial market! You should really be proud of your work, that is an outstanding piece of machinery, wish I could afford one!

I had to laugh when you mentioned that it uses 400 lbs/hour, if I remember correctly (on the F-106) we used to trim the engine back to 3,000 lbs/hr once at altitude and cruising (it would cruise at .97 mach at 49K ft. Full after burner would quadruple the fuel consumption. Love those Pratt & Whitney engines!

Larry