The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 04:00 PM

averagejoefish is on a distinguished road
Default Do you know how to catch bass in deeper water? I surely do not!

Have you ever wondered what it looks like to do sixty miles per hour in a bass boat? Well this picture is of Average Joe Fisherman Tim as we are cruising at sixty miles per hour in about four feet of water! I think the picture sums it up nicely, don’t you?

Click the image to open in full size.

The day started off like any other Saturday. I was out and about with my family when I received a call from Average Joe Fisherman Tim telling me that he had a hot tip about a location where we were sure to slay the bass. Well, not really slay as all of the Average Joe Fishermen practice catch and release.

Never one to turn down an invitation to go fishing I asked “When and where?” While I was on the phone with Tim, I was giving my wife that “Can I go fishing PLEEEEEEASE?” look. Once I had the "ok" from the boss, I was off. After about an hour drive I met Tim at a local marina only to find that a walleye tournament was finishing up. After a little delay, caused by the tournament, we were rocketing across a very large body of water. Tim was watching the depth finder like a bald eagle watches for prey. At precisely thirteen feet of water Tim killed the motor. We excitedly grabbed our fishing poles, jumped up on the fishing platforms and immediately realized that we have no idea how to fish a large body of water! Especially when we are three miles from shore and cannot see the structure we are fishing. We threw everything we had in our tackle boxes at the fish. Soft plastics, pig and jigs, spinner baits, crank baits, you name it, we threw it. Guess what we got for our efforts? Nothing, nada, zip! Just another day in the life of an Average Joe Fisherman I suppose.

After all of our attempts proved to be futile we packed up and headed closer to shore. Guess what we saw there? Carp. Not a single bass until Average Joe Fisherman Tim pulled one out of some reeds. I am still not sure if that fish was really there or if Tim pulled it out of the live well, hooked it to his spinner and tossed it overboard while I wasn’t looking! Pretending all the while like he knew there was at least one bass in the area we were fishing. Tim, if you are reading this, I would not put it passed you!

As the evening began to wind down I managed to miss a strike on a top water lure. It surprised me so much that I believe, after trying to set the hook, I might have been reeling backwards for a moment. Yup, that’s how I roll! As if getting a fish to bite isn’t hard enough, let’s reel backwards! Needless to say, I did not boat that fish.

Tim had a little excitement while fishing a top water lure. A large fish swirled below the lure and was looking intently at it. Tim gave it a little twitch and the water exploded. The fight was on! After a glorious battle Tim came eye to eye with a large… wait for it… dog fish! Man those things are ugly!

Finally, on our way back through the marina where we launched from, I caught a largemouth bass! Well I’ll be, the sun even shines on a dog’s behind some days! But, since I am an Average Joe Fisherman, you should know that the bass was not large enough to be considered a “keeper.” Oh well, I outsmarted that fish. It might have taken me over three hours of fishing to do it and it might have been small, but I won! Mission accomplished!

Have you ever successfully fished bass in deep water? If so, how?

Old 09-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Do you know how to catch bass in deeper water? I surely do not!

Remember fellas,

This is the NAFFF, the fly fishing forum. Hate to be a party pooper but a post about boating and hardware fishing might cut it in the Lodge Den but not on one of our fly fishing boards.

You need to get some fly rods in those shots and I'll get off your case,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 PM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice

check out http://www.bassresource.com/fish/bass_fish.html or google "bass"
Old 09-06-2010, 09:20 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

When fishing deep water look for ledges with a good sized depth change. Also look for creek channels on the lake bottom. When out and trying to find the fish I suggest a crankbait, it allows you to cover alot of water and key in on fish locations and there feeding patterns when you get a reaction strike.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:47 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

9 foot 8 weight fast taper rod. extra fast sinking line. lead eye clousers. throw the conventional stuff out please and use a canoe, kayak, or float tube. ewwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:50 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

One word: dynamite.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Average Joe,

I have moved your thread over to the Lodge Den. This is the place for non-fly fishing threads. You seem like a nice person and I hope you have some fly fishing questions that we are better qualified to respond to.

Deep water bass in a large lake takes experience and electronics. You must have a Depth/Fish finder to locate fish and structure. Points that extend out into the lake are good structure to fish. You need to follow the point out under water and then fish the sides of the point. Fish will lay somewhere along the sides of the submerged point.

With your depth finder look for high spots out in the lake. Submerged islands are very good structure. Fish along the edges until you locate fish. Also look for holes and ridges in a flat. Just about any change in the lake bottom will offer structure for the fish to use as protection. If it is a new lake submerged trees and buses are great spots as minnows will be there.

The thing with Bass is they will not be on just any structure and you have to hunt for them. If you can locate a feature map of the lake bed before it was a lake you will have all kinds of spots to try out.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 09-07-2010 at 03:04 PM.